Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell Me on These Awful Games

Final Fantasy shouldn't have any direct sequels, because they suck comparing to the original entries (ekhem, FFX-2 and FFXIII-2), but it's just me.

Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

X-2 was much better than X, though, I think its safe to assume XIII-2 is also good

Articles
    Blog Entries

Since I'm the opposite of Fynn I can assume XIII-2 is actually worse than XIII.

Fynn, you monster! Go away! XD
    I'm proud of you, ToriJ! :3

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by TheZanmato View Post
    Fynn, you monster! Go away! XD
    I'm proud of you, ToriJ! :3
    Oh, you sweet summer child.

You don't know half of it

Well I was supposed to head for bed but I noticed XIII-2 finally got done downloading. I went to start it and just check everything was in order. Only, the DLC I bought wasn't showing up. I looked online and read that you have to start and play the game for a bit in order for it to "register" that you have downloaded all the stuff.

Only, now I've started the game, I can't stop.

I had forgotten about these dialogue choices with Serah. I don't think they effect anything but they're nice. Do they continue for the whole game or are they only in this opening part?

I chose all the Snow-centric options, like it's Snow Serah misses most, and he's the most important person in her life.

I know there are multiple endings for this game. Are they possible to get on your first playthrough or are they like New Game +? Also are they viable to get without a strategy guide? I think the number of Fragments effects some endings? And others are effected by choices you make in the game?

I know Serah dies in the Normal/Canon ending but that is a long way off.

Another question. I know you can "recruit" Lightning or Snow. Well, they're just like "Mon" versions of them but yeah. When can I do that? I think I'd rather have even Lightning instead of some generic monster.

Overall, I'm having more fun than I figured. I guess I was just in a bad mood last time I played the game.

So many broken promises. Serah is gonna come back safe, Noel won't let any harm befall her....

Hm...I guess I can do Snow's, Lightning's or Sazh's DLC right now. I wonder, is the description of the Valhalla location a spoiler? That Caius intends to kill a bunch of people to release Chaotic Energy? I mean, in the game so far, we don't know trout about who he is or what he's after. Without this DLC and its description, we'd have nothing of real substance about his motivations or objectives.

Good job, Square.

Well I totally failed against Atlas or whatever it was. It's not my goddam fault. QTE's do NOT belong in an RPG. RPG's are hte Anti-QT Es. RP Gs are all about being methodical and coming up with strategies. Having good reflexes is not part of the friggin' equation. Granted, the QTE's here are pretty easy but the problem is I can't see that well and it takes me too long to see where they pop up.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me there are not QTE's for actual important boss battles?

Stopping there though. So very tired. I think I get Lightning from doing her DLC? Are there spoilers in it? Should I save it for later? I always hate when DLC is always available because I never know when it is "story appropriate" to do it. Some DLC just functions better as end of the game stuff, even if it's available at the start of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

Glad you're enjoying it!

I really wanna try XIII-2 and LR myself, but I haven't beaten the original yet because it's so booooooring. I stopped at chapter nine, I think? The part where they escape that airship. And I just couldn't Keep going because it was just too boring. And then my hard drive exploded, so I have to start over someday anyway. Sigh... Wish me luck.

I disagree with that, mainly because unlike FFXIII-2, LR doesn't include a log of events that happened in the previous game. LR delves into a deeper lore of Fabula Nova Crystallis and ties together all of the entities mentioned in XIII and XIII-2; Lindzei, Etro, and Bhunivelze, amongst others. Although it can get confusing, XIII-2 first introduces new concepts like chaos and Valhalla, which are expanded on in LR. XIII-2 also introduces and explains Caius Ballad and Paddra-Nsu Yeul, two characters which were briefly mentioned in XIII's Datalog, but are explored in XIII-2. In fact, the entirety of LR's plot depends on what the player knows from XIII-2 regarding Yeul's role in the story. She is incredibly vital and it's pretty hard to know what on earth is going on if you jump into LR without learning so much about her character from XIII-2.

And of course, there's the ending to XIII-2, which obviously directly correlates to the beginning of LR. I'd imagine if anyone played XIII, skipped XIII-2, and then jumped into LR, they'd be wondering wtf just happened.

So, no. Much of the story and lore isn't going to make sense unless you play XIII-2. And XIII-2 is just a fun game in and of itself, arguably moreso than XIII. There you have it.

"A MAN WHO NEVER EATS PORK BUN IS NEVER A WHOLE MAN!"

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Just skip them. No big loss.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I had forgotten about these dialogue choices with Serah. I don't think they effect anything but they're nice. Do they continue for the whole game or are they only in this opening part?

I know there are multiple endings for this game. Are they possible to get on your first playthrough or are they like New Game +? Also are they viable to get without a strategy guide? I think the number of Fragments effects some endings? And others are effected by choices you make in the game?

Another question. I know you can "recruit" Lightning or Snow. Well, they're just like "Mon" versions of them but yeah. When can I do that? I think I'd rather have even Lightning instead of some generic monster.

Hm...I guess I can do Snow's, Lightning's or Sazh's DLC right now. I wonder, is the description of the Valhalla location a spoiler? That Caius intends to kill a bunch of people to release Chaotic Energy? I mean, in the game so far, we don't know trout about who he is or what he's after. Without this DLC and its description, we'd have nothing of real substance about his motivations or objectives.

Well I totally failed against Atlas or whatever it was. It's not my goddam fault. QTE's do NOT belong in an RPG. RPG's are hte Anti-QT Es. RP Gs are all about being methodical and coming up with strategies. Having good reflexes is not part of the friggin' equation. Granted, the QTE's here are pretty easy but the problem is I can't see that well and it takes me too long to see where they pop up.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me there are not QTE's for actual important boss battles?

Stopping there though. So very tired. I think I get Lightning from doing her DLC? Are there spoilers in it? Should I save it for later? I always hate when DLC is always available because I never know when it is "story appropriate" to do it. Some DLC just functions better as end of the game stuff, even if it's available at the start of the game.
    I ain't gonna lie: I'm pleasantly surprised that you're enjoying the game. It's nice when people give it a chance.
    But anyways, I can try and answer a few questions.

The Live Triggers (dialogue trees) continue throughout the entire game. They become less frequent towards the latter half of it, but they're still prevalent. If you want to see what all of the other dialogue options do, you can simply lock and rewind the time gate in which the conversation took place. To get a "hidden" dialogue option from Yeul, you'll need to turn on the Paradox Scope Fragment skill (which also affects the difficulty of battles once turned on). Note that the game darkens choices you've already picked before to make it easier for you.

Note: you obtain different rewards depending on the Live Trigger options you choose. These are pretty much just adornments, so you're not missing much.

The "multiple endings" are dubbed Paradox Endings in this game, and they happen when you go about the story in different ways. For example, fighting and beating Atlas without weakening him. This will lead to a cutscene/Paradox Ending. You can lock and rewind a time gate to find these, but they're pretty confusing to unlock unless you have a guide. I do have a guide detailing all of this stuff, so if you have trouble, just let me know and I'll dig it out. Some of the things you have to do to unlock the Paradox Endings are really confusing. >.<

Yes, you can find some of the Paradox Endings during your first playthrough (there are eight total), but more often than not, the Paradox Endings are usually triggered when you choose to fight an unweakened boss (i.e. Atlas in the Bresha Ruins) or when you equip the Paradox Scope Fragment Skill. These fights can be pretty difficult when you're just starting out. However, if you spend time scouting around for Fragments (which grants you a small sum of Crystogen Points each) OR you have unlocked some of the DLC characters for your monster slot, you should be okay.

Lightning's DLC was released after the game, so I think SE probably guessed most people had finished the game by the time it rolled out. Requiem of the Goddess as a whole is a giant spoiler, so...it's on the player as to whether they want to play it early or not. I'd say it's worth it if you don't mind spoiling what happens, as Lightning as a Commando in your party is the strongest Commando in the game.

QTEs only appear for five boss battles in the entire game: Paradox Alpha, Atlas, Royal Ripeness, Zenobia, and the Proto fal'Cie Adam. Unless I'm not remembering things correctly, you won't get a Game Over if you fail the QTEs - they usually only grant status enhancements if you do them right. If you do them perfectly, you get the Trigger Finger trophy by getting a perfect/"Cinematic Bonus" on all cinematic QTEs. You don't need to do this on a first playthrough: you can just rewind the gate and try again.

Anyways, if you need more detail on anything, say the word. Obtaining all of the Fragments without a guide is pretty difficult, so. Good luck!

Edit: Here is a list of all Fragments in XIII-2 if you need it.
    Last edited by SapientiaXIII; 07-08-2015 at 12:17 AM.

"A MAN WHO NEVER EATS PORK BUN IS NEVER A WHOLE MAN!"

Blog Entries

The only two mon-characters you can get right off is Lightning-Com and Sazh-Syn. Sazh really has nothing to do with spoilers. Lightning on the other hand does. You won't be able to do Colosseum battles until you level up enough.

The weapons you bought aren't that great if you ask me. For paying money for they should have been a lot better. I'm glad you are enjoying the game. If you need any help just ask.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Pinkasaurus Rex Cid's Knight Pumpkin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)

I've been wanting to try XIII-2 for like 2 years now, especially since it's so cheap, but I'm never in the mood when I go to the store

I appreciate all the responses guys, thank you very much.

The only other question I have at the moment is where do I get this "Paradox Scope Fragment Skill"? Is it something early on that I can miss? If it's necessary for more story, I want to ensure I have it and equip it or whatever.

I think I'll leave Lightning's DLC for later though becauseit's a big spoiler. I don't want no spoilers.

Blog Entries

You get the paradox scope as an end game feature.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

The 'Requiem of the Goddess' DLC really works best as an epilogue.

It directly relates to events at the end of the game, as well as the beginning of Lightning Returns: it's very spoilery.