Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sell Me on These Awful Games

Holy trout, the "Story So Far" thing is like a straight up soap opera with that music and the cuts to different scenes. It's hilarious and awesome because soaps are a guilty pleasure of mine.

I'm remembering how much I hated the scoring system in XIII. It always made me feel like a failure. I fought that optional Cie'th boss to get the Fragment and I only got 2 stars. I was trying to Stagger it but the gauge just wouldn't fill! I had both Serah and Noel as Ravagers but it was so, so, so slow. My monster was the Pulse Knight because I figured I need some good defense. I started off the fight by Deprotecting and Deshelling and then stuck to Ravagers for the rest of it, vainly trying to fill the gauge. I just don't know what I did wrong. I got the gauge to like most of the way full in no time but then it just stopped and no matter how much I wailed on it, it would barely go up.

There shouldn't be a "right way" to fight a battle in an RPG anyway. The only criteria for determining the "right' way is where you defeat the enemy.

I dunno...I'm trying to dredge up my FFXIII memories... Ravagers are what Stagger enemies but I taught Noel Launch in the Commando Crysterium and I could swear that had something to do with it....

I dunno, I won, without any real problems. It's just this smurfing star rating thing makes me feel like I didn't win at all. It's like the first fight with Barty in XIII where it took me a billion years and I got absolutely zero stars out of it. The game probably would have given me negative stars if it could and slapped the controller out of my hand.

Well I got 3 stars against Atlas...that's...like, a C? That's passing. Also I used the device to weaken it because I don't trust myself to be good enough at this game right now to actually win this fight legitimately. So long Paradox Ending... Oh well, maybe I'll be good enough to win fairly one of these days.

Everyone says this game is super easy but maybe that's later on? I dunno.

Anyway, gonna go eat right now. It doesn't seem like much of an update but all of this took a lot of time. Still getting into the swing of this game.

If anyone has any tips on why that one Cie'th wouldn't stagger, please tell me. Maybe it's because I had Noel as a Ravager too? I changed that one Paradigm from RAV/COM to RAV/RAV so maybe it was my mistake. I changed it back to RAV/COM for the Atlas fight.

One more question. In regards to Debuffs, they wear off, right? Because I kept periodically taking time off attacking Atlas to hit him with Deprotect and Deshell again and again. I never pay attention to the numbers.

It's really bad game design to have monsters constantly spawn while characters are explaining things. I'm so sick of people saying stuff and me trying to pay attention and learn about their characters and the plot only to get sucked into a battle.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 07-08-2015 at 12:25 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

they should wear off, yes.

score is almost entirely linked to total battle time anyway, nothing else.

Some enemies just have very high chain resistance, which causes slower stagger meter buildup. 3x ravager and swapping to a paradigm with a single commando every now and then just to keep the "not lose chain" effect on might help.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Have you captured a Zwerg Scandroid yet? They're the little red, dancing, fat robot guys in Bresha Ruins 005AF. Those'll make a decent Ravager for you at this stage in the game, which will probably help a lot more than a Pulse Knight acting as a Sentinel. The Ghast/Cie'th you fought is somewhat "hard" in the beginning of the game, as some of the Fragment quests will be. His attacks are going to knock the wind out of your party, but just use Potions and keep attacking with Relentless Assault to drive up his chain gauge, otherwise it'll take forever, which is why your battle rating was a little low.
    Just remember that Ravagers increase the chain bonus, but deplete the chain gauge...so the Commando stabilizes the chain gauge but doesn't increase the chain bonus percentage much.

As for casting Deprotect and Deshell, awesome. Don't worry about reapplying those status effects until they start to flicker above (or below?) the enemy's status bar.

Tip: right before staggering an enemy, switch to the Commando role and stagger the enemy with a physical attack. The stagger will last much longer that way and you'll have even more time if your Ravager goes crazy.

Good paradigms for staggering and punching above your party's weight:
    Mystic Tower: Ravager+Ravager+Sentinel
    Delta Attack Ravager+Commando+Sentinel
    Diversity: Ravager+Commando+Medic
    Premeditation: Sentinel+Saboteur+Ravager

And if you need to buff your party but stay alive, ya might consider:
    Strategic Warfare: Commando+Synergist+Sentinel
    Decimation: Commando+Ravager+Medic

Also, what tune do you have your paradigms set to? Cross (X) targets a single enemy, Wide (W) makes the AI use area-effect magic and attacks to target a group of enemies. For the Ghast especially, tune offensive paradigms to Cross.

Aaand finally, have you tried tinkering with monster infusion yet? You can infuse some of the abilities of captured monsters into another, but the monster's crystal will go boom. It's a nice way to buff up your monsters without having to spend CP.

The monster spawning thing can get annoying sometimes, yup. It happens in LR all the time, mostly because Hope never shuts up in that game, but still. >.<' Although it's annoying, you'll just have to stay still and wait for the dialogue to finish before moving. Otherwise monsters will pop up regardless.

"A MAN WHO NEVER EATS PORK BUN IS NEVER A WHOLE MAN!"

How do I do Monster Infusion? The tutorial didn't say anything about that. I've just been leveling up Pulse Knight with items.

But yes I have one of those Zwerg things. I just was thinking big, tanky powerhoues were my best bet. Keep the enemies off Serah and Noel which, apart from just keeping them alive, also has the benefit of letting me constantly attack them instead of getting knocked on my ass.

But I guess I shouldn't worry so much about dying at this point in the game.... Although, is it worth it to try and level up Serah's Sentinel? From what I can recall in XIII, you only needed one Sentinel to survive. I beat the game with a party of Snow, Hope and Vanille and it wasn't so bad. Well, Orphan was a nightmare but that had nothing to do with me taking damage and everything to do with the fact I couldn't figure out how to hurt it. (until I discovered how broken Poison was. Thank you, FF Wiki. Actually, now I'm reminded of that, I really gotta keep working on SAB. SAB was awesome in XIII)

And I haven't messed with Cross or any of that. I'm just working with the Paradigms it gave me. The first one, Cerberus I think it is, just has you attack everyone and then the other one I use has you target just one enemy. I've just been switching back and forth between those for most fights.

Blog Entries

Here are some things to keep in mind.

1. Big nodes on crystarium increase stats in a certain way.

Commando - Increases str the most.
    Ravenger - increases mag the most.
    Sentinel - increases HP the most.
    Sabatuar - increases str even mag on odd like 1, 3, 5, 7 str and 2, 4, 6, 8 mag.
    Syn - increases hp and mag like sabatuar.
    Medic - increases HP

Try to max out str for noel and mag for sereh.

2. Certain monsters are worth farming right away.

Green Chocobo - HP +35%
    Tonberry - str and mag up 35%

You might want to look at a guide for important monsters.

3. Know almost everything is re-doable after the final boss.

You don't have to worry if you miss stuff cause most the game is repeatable.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Monster Infusion. Hoo boy. This will be a long post, sorry.

Well, to upgrade monsters, you'll need certain types of "Monster Materials" or the XIII-2 equivalent of components. Materials are dropped by certain enemies and you can buy them from Miss Choco. Material Grade is pretty much the rank of your monster and represents the "grade" of materials required to level the monster. Material Variety is just the type of monster crystal, so biological or mechanical (think Triffid vs Scandroid). The Material Type is the type of enhancement given by the material. The higher your monster's level is, the more expensive the materials become as the monster's material grade also increases. And the alternate to all of this leveling is monster infusion~

To infuse, go into the Monster menu. You can infuse a monster with two types of abilities: Role and Passive. Infusing across roles (Commando, Ravager, etc.) can give your monster Passive abilities that they otherwise couldn't learn, such as:
    Jeopardize (Commando role) - infuse Commando monster w/ lv.99 Ravager monster (any kind, this applies to all of these)
    Vigor (Ravager) - infuse Ravager monster w/ lv.99 Commando monster
    Reprieve (Sentinel) - infuse Sentinel monster w/ lv.99 Medic monster
    Jinx (Saboteur) - infuse Saboteur w/ lv.99 Synergist monster
    Boon (Synergist) - infuse Synergist w/ lv.99 Saboteur monster
    Curaja (Medic) - infuse Medic w/ lv.99 Sentinel monster

One monster can have ten total passive abilities at a time and those are simply transferred from one monster to the other. But if the monster you want to take an ability from has a red lock icon next to one of their abilities, you can't infuse it. You don't need to upgrade a monster fully to infuse its ability, or that of the monster you want to transfer an ability from; the hidden abilities above are the only ones that you need to upgrade the monster with the ability to lv.99 through the Crystarium.

Once you infuse the abilities from one monster, their crystal is gone forever, so don't infuse unless you're fine with losing them. There's a handful of monsters that are rare, so you can't capture them again. No bueno:
    -Gigantuar, Twilight Odin, Golden Chocobo, Cactuarama, Chichu, Leyak, Nanochu, Rangda, and the Silver Chocobo.

tldr: infusing monsters with different Roles won't give your monster any role abilities, but you can still get Passive abilities by cross-role infusing, such as those I mentioned above. Monster infusion is sort of an alternate way to level up your monster and gives them abilities they couldn't learn on their own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SapientiaXIII View Post
    Once you infuse the abilities from one monster, their crystal is gone forever, so don't infuse unless you're fine with losing them. There's a handful of monsters that are rare, so you can't capture them again. No bueno:
    -Gigantuar, Twilight Odin, Golden Chocobo, Cactuarama, Chichu, Leyak, Nanochu, Rangda, and the Silver Chocobo.
    He got snow so he can fight Valfor. That is way he can acquire some of those.

My opinion on monster training.

Commandos - Use Power Monster material
    Rav - Use Magical Monster Material
    sentinel - Use vitality Monster material
    Sab and Syn - Use potent
    Med - Use Vitality or Potent

This works best. Some monsters can be commado but feral link is magic related.
    Marcus

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Is it possible - or should I say practical - to beat the game with just Serah and Noel and not give a crap about monsters?

I dunno,I'm just missing FFXIII when I had three human protagonists that I cared about.... I almost want to replay FFXIII. Have me some Snow and Hope and Vanille. Although of course I wouldn't be able to assemble my dream team for a long, long, long time.

They should have just made this game a two-person party game. Who thought of this monster BS.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

what, the monster stuff was really fun. it made for some cool gameplay and development

But they're just generic monsters. There's nothing to them. This game is even more automated "get your hands off" than XIII because at least in XIII you could control everyone's role. Here, these monsters just do what monsters do and you have no control over it.

It's not even like Pokemon. At least in Pokemon your team is entirely composed of the monsters so you're invested in them. Here, the monster is just an unwanted, unnecessary third element next to your two human protagonists. It's like having a really generic personality-less third party member.

Just introduce Steve or Bob Smith to fill out your team. Who is he? What does he do? Who knows, he's just the third wheel.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

You don't really control the monster, but you control the monster slot's behavior, and you still control them with wide/narrow paradigm settings.

I mean, the only difference here is that the third human party member is a monster this time around. They won't have the personality traits of a human party member, but they serve the same purpose and the amount of control you have over their actions is the same and probably even more than in XIII. The Paradigms are how you control the entire party, just like in XIII. What's nice about the monsters is that you have so many different roles and types to choose from. Almost every single monster is tameable and if you take monster infusion into account, hell. The variety of battle setups is endless. I know you're not a fan of the QTEs, but if you're hoping for a bit more...interaction (? >.>) then you can pull off a Feral Link, which is just a quick QTE and special attack specific to the monster.

Unfortunately, the story doesn't call for three human party members but given all of the monsters to choose from, I personally don't mind. I suppose you could throw Sazh's Afro on one of your monsters and call it a day, lol.

I was promised I could put a funny hat on a Tonberry and if that's true, and after I've done it, I will forgive this game's lack of a third human party member.

Blog Entries

Best way to get Saze is to save, play a hand of texas holdem and go all in. If you win save if you lose reset the console
    Marcus

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i was literally so addicted to xiii-2 for a month that i almost lost my job
    but i was kind of self-employed at the time
    anyway have fun

xiii-3 is actually better in terms of thematics and wrap-up

and it IS melodramatic. that's the whole point. it's a space/fantasy opera. you'll see in xiii-3... it (the series) is very aware of what it is.