Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sell Me on These Awful Games

Default Sell Me on These Awful Games

So my GF and other friend really like the XIII Trilogy. For their sake, I'm trying to play them. I got XIII down so now it's just XIII-2 and LR.

For those with memories for worthless garbage, I did try to play XIII-2. About a year ago I purchased it, played it for a couple hours, then returned it.

Why? Becauseit's Serah and Noel's Whacky Time Adventures. Only it's not whacky, it's melodramatic garbage where I will apparently have to endure this guy whining about how his girlfriend dumped him because of some goddess maybe.

I liked XIII because of the characters yet XIII-2 only has two characters and seems entirely too focused on the needlessly convoluted narrative.

This was my impression.

Am I wrong? Do Serah and Noel have better characters and development than I realized? If not, are there side characters to compensate for how much they suck?

For LR, same question. Lightning was insufferable in XIII. Is she better in LR? If not, are there at least other good characters who get some focus?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

XIII-2 is better than XIII and LR is better than XIII-2. Noel is a pretty awesome character if you give him a chance and no, Lightning does not get any better.

Then how is the game that gives you Undiluted Lightning (LR) better than XIII where you could easily ignore her for most of the game? That's the only reason i liked XIII. I could focus on the party members I liked. I dumped Lightning out of my party first chance i got and never looked back.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

The gameplay is pretty awesome. The story, meh, but the gameplay is actually pretty well done and is the saving grace of that trilogy.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

What's the point in trying to sell you on them if you're calling them "awful" in the title - you're clearly already going into it with the mindset of hating it.

Just gonna save everyone some time and say nah. x}

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I agree with you, the only place this trilogy belongs is in a dumpster, or under a table leg to stop it from wobbling.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I agree with you, the only place this trilogy belongs is in a dumpster, or under a table leg to stop it from wobbling.
    Pretty sure the table would still wobble if you put the whole trilogy under a single table leg.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

You guys are terrible salespeople, I must say.

If the buyer is actively hostile to your product, you just have to try harder, not say "welp, guess there's no point."

You tell them the car runs great, even if it was brought to you because it constantly broke down and you never fixed it.

You tell them it's only got a few miles on it, even if it has 100,000.

And then you tell them this snake oil you get included with the car will make them goddam sexual Tyrannosauruses and all they have to do is pay an extra $100.

Well, in spite of the fact you all get an F In Economy Class, I still bought XIII-2 and the DLC for my Xbox 360. This way, I can't return the game and even if it means I'll suffer agony akin to dragging my body through broken glass and salt, I will beat the game and justify the $40 I just spent.

Quote Originally Posted by SapientiaXIII View Post
    Yeah, I don't see the point of even asking this question if you've already decided the games are "awful" and "garbage".
    If you didn't like XIII or XIII-2's story, you're probably not going to understand or like LR's story. However, the gameplay in LR is especially worth it; more challenging than XIII or XIII-2, a lot of customization and replay value, and a ton of exploration to be had in the game world.

But I mean, these games are just garbage so lulz.
    On another board I frequent, in a General FF Thread where people were regularly asking a year ago if they needed to have played XIII-2 in order to play LR, I read multiple responses that said "no, you don't need to play XIII-2 to understand LR's story at all. XIII-2 is actually a giant waste of time."

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    You guys are terrible salespeople, I must say.

Well, in spite of the fact you all get an F In Economy Class, I still bought XIII-2 and the DLC for my Xbox 360. This way, I can't return the game and even if it means I'll suffer agony akin to dragging my body through broken glass and salt, I will beat the game and justify the $40 I just spent.
    We don't need to sell it to you if you've already bought it.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Well I hadn't bought it when I made this topic several hours ago. I just bought it right now.

Although, to be fair, I probably would have bought it, even if you had given a long, doctoral thesis-style post explaining why I shouldn't

Articles
    Blog Entries

You should have held out a little longer, FL. I was about to offer a free demo of FFXV Episode 2.0 and first look at Tifa's boobs physics in the new FFVII remake for free if you bought both XIII-2 and LR, but I guess now you can just do without

"But don't you hat-?"

I don't have to like something to sell it.

Blog Entries

Here's whats great

Each title has its own belief system you are always starting off trying to get from point a to point b. In XIII it is very linear whereas XIII-2 you can redo things. LR lets you go through 3 cities and endgame.

They are worth playing if you can handle seeing lightning. I found XIII to be my least favorite and XIII-2 one of my favorite Square titles. LR has like 4 cutscenes with previous characters from XIII and XIII-2. I found them to be really touching. If you care enough to know what stories they have in each title, you should play them. If it a graphic novel and all around good trilogy.

I bought all the DLC for x-box 360. Lightning Goddess is the best. Be sure to unlock her asap. I did a stat max where my Noel has like 1500 str. If I wanted he could have 1000 str and 1000 mag. I wanted to do a Max HP playthrough but after getting every item in the game and all the monsters I was beat.

In lightning returns you have to play the game at least once to get more important stuff. You can level up magic and weapons to the max.

So if you got the games try to get everything in them.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Well I definitely plan to get all the DLC for LR as well. (I already have all the XIII-2 DLC) I like the idea of playing Lightning cosplaying X-2 Yuna in LR.

How early can you unlock Lightning in XIII-2? I'd probably take her over some stupid monsters for my third party member.

Final Fantasy shouldn't have any direct sequels, because they suck comparing to the original entries (ekhem, FFX-2 and FFXIII-2), but it's just me.