Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post

This is something that Bioware does a bit too much.

KOTOR: Bastila
    KOTOR 2: Kreia
    Dragon Age: Morrigan
    Dragon Age 2: Bartrand, Isabela, Anders
    Dragon Age Inquisition: Solas
    Mass Effect: Udina
    Mass Effect 2: Morinth (optional), The Illusive Man
    Mass Effect 3: Ashley/Kaidan (possible)
    Let me add in Yoshimo from Baldur's Gate II, the Ur Example.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

This is more of a gameplay than a story cliché, but I really hate it when you have a party of eight, but the frontline gets wiped and it's game over. What were the others doing that they couldn't jump in and at the very least by time while I revive them? Final Fantasy XII, Type-0, Breath of Fire IV, and Neptunia Re;birth3 are the only games I can think of that don't do that.

And related, when your team splits up later in the game. At the start of them, it serves the purpose of world building and character development. Late in the game, it serves the purpose of informing you that you're going to have to do a dungeon twice when the team that the main character isn't on, smurfs up. Also someone from the B-team is probably going to die or get a booboo and be out of commission for awhile.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

One of my biggest annoyances: Every party member is a teenager.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Hey see the thing I want to grab on the other side of that tiny rock that is as high as your ankle? I know you could just reach over and grab it, but instead you have to walk halfway around the town, hit a secret passage, then you can get it. Don't worry, they will let you jump over the rock from the other side.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Invisible walls, they're called

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I hate the ages. 14, 15, 16. The 25-30 year olds are like the old, seasoned people. And while you may get some men in their 40's occasionally, the chances of getting a woman in her 40's is very, very low.

Also not every woman ever has size Triple H boobs, or only has smaller ones if she's going to be relentlessly teased for it. Not every woman also dresses provocatively. I understand some women do and I'm not opposed to having women like that, but there needs to be a balance. When every single woman is humungously chested and the same body type and they dress skimpily when it clashes with their personality, I just have a hard time with that.

Me and Formy have talked to each other about how you often have to add a couple of years onto character's ages for things to not seem completely ridiculous.
    My girlfriend and I spend many evenings discussing these things whilst playing a game. Especially a JRPG. Last good example was Jude from Tales of Xillia. A 15 year old, working on his doctorate/PhD, and is the most insufferably gullible and lacking in common sense out of the whole team. So his world experience is definitely that of a 15 year old. He should be in High School, or he should be 23. Pick one, you can't have both

And my girlfriend is constantly calling out all the girls how they have to show off all their assets and make it blatantly obvious they were designed to appease lonely basement dwelling old men, with no real creative thought put into their character design. Even worse is the fact that Japan is obsessed with the demure squeaky little girl voice for all female characters, so they all end up sounding the same. And unless it's professionally dubbed, your only options will be either mousy pre-teen voice actors, or door-knob quality inflections. Which is getting better, now that voice acting for a video game is a thing in the West, but since a lot of this topic is old tropes and stereotypes, good lord, just ... women in JRPGs

And I will reiterate. I want to play someone of age. And lacking in world experience is no excuse. Let me play as the cook for the local inn, having to choose to go save his village. He's just as inexperienced with the world and the sword as that damned 15 year old Japan is obsessed with

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wish I lived in a JRPG world. I would have an entire Kingdom by now, and a family, and be mentoring my son/daughter to take my place.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I hate the ages. 14, 15, 16. The 25-30 year olds are like the old, seasoned people. And while you may get some men in their 40's occasionally, the chances of getting a woman in her 40's is very, very low.

Also not every woman ever has size Triple H boobs, or only has smaller ones if she's going to be relentlessly teased for it. Not every woman also dresses provocatively. I understand some women do and I'm not opposed to having women like that, but there needs to be a balance. When every single woman is humungously chested and the same body type and they dress skimpily when it clashes with their personality, I just have a hard time with that.

Me and Formy have talked to each other about how you often have to add a couple of years onto character's ages for things to not seem completely ridiculous.
    My girlfriend and I spend many evenings discussing these things whilst playing a game. Especially a JRPG. Last good example was Jude from Tales of Xillia. A 15 year old, working on his doctorate/PhD, and is the most insufferably gullible and lacking in common sense out of the whole team. So his world experience is definitely that of a 15 year old. He should be in High School, or he should be 23. Pick one, you can't have both

And my girlfriend is constantly calling out all the girls how they have to show off all their assets and make it blatantly obvious they were designed to appease lonely basement dwelling old men, with no real creative thought put into their character design. Even worse is the fact that Japan is obsessed with the demure squeaky little girl voice for all female characters, so they all end up sounding the same. And unless it's professionally dubbed, your only options will be either mousy pre-teen voice actors, or door-knob quality inflections. Which is getting better, now that voice acting for a video game is a thing in the West, but since a lot of this topic is old tropes and stereotypes, good lord, just ... women in JRPGs

And I will reiterate. I want to play someone of age. And lacking in world experience is no excuse. Let me play as the cook for the local inn, having to choose to go save his village. He's just as inexperienced with the world and the sword as that damned 15 year old Japan is obsessed with
    20-somethings generally don't know trout about the world either, they're just a bit less stupid and emotional than teens are. I don't smurfing get why there always needs to be half a dozen teens in the party.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting a twenty year old is a realistic idea for a grizzled world adventurer. Just that twenty something would be more realistic an age for someone in college about to become a doctor (Jude)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

That's what i meant. You said 20somethings are portrayed as adults and experienced, when in reality they are close to jrpg teenagers than they are to real world "proper adults".

I know a lot of people have a problem with "We Beat The Boss in the Boss Battle But Afterward He's Just Fine in the Cutscene and it's More Like We Lost" cliche.

I actually find it very amusing how much this popped up in Xenosaga Episode III. As in, every other boss did this. I can't wait to watch this guy on another board LP EP3 and several of his friends/commentators are going into it blind. It's gonna be glorious watching their reactions to Virgil, Voyager, Virgil, Yuriev, Kevin and probably others I'm forgetting all just laugh at you after the boss fight.

I can't wait to post in that thread and talk about how the villains actually did more to stop each other than our heroes ever did.

On a related note, and because I'm playing FFV, the cliche of "The Heroes Actively Make Things Worse and Then Are Only Heroes At All Because They Fix Their Own Damned Mess." Or Nice Job Breaking it Heroes.

In the RPG Cliches List it was originally called "Way To Go, Serge!"

Poor Serge....

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not saying I don't like any characters that are teens, I most certainly do, but after a while it's like yeah, they can be adults. Some of them (most of them) would be just as great if you changed their age from 17 to 27

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Petition to force TheZanmato to play Xenogears!
    But why? XD

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by TheZanmato View Post
    But why? XD
    Because it's the best use of the amnesia trope ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZanmato View Post
    But why? XD
    Because it's the best use of the amnesia trope ever.
    I'm not sure of it, but I'm gonna try to play it, if it's possible. XD