Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let us discuss the awesome taht is Suikoden 3! (Mark all spoilers I am just starting)

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Geddoe is the best, and his chapter 3 is really good. Also, smurf Landis. It took me like 45 minutes to recruit him the first time.

And your prediction amused me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post

And your prediction amused me.
    This

I actually didn't like Geddoe To each their own though!

...Welp, guess I reversed the guess. (Just saw True Lightning Ruin)

(SPOILER)Is there going to be a good explanation for why Jimba looks like a Karayan? :P

(SPOILER)Also, Pretty sure Chris gets the True Water Rune, Hugo gets True Flame.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 07-18-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I'm not sure we need spoilers in this thread for anyone but you, so I think you're safe not to spoiler things you've seen or are asking about.

As for #1: No real spoiler, but in case you didn't really want an answer Beyond that you were supposed to think he's Karayan? He looks Karayan in the sense that he wears Karayan clothes and is tanned. In flashbacks with armor, it's less obvious. There were hints that Jimba was not (originally) Karayan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I'm not sure we need spoilers in this thread for anyone but you, so I think you're safe not to spoiler things you've seen or are asking about.

As for #1: No real spoiler, but in case you didn't really want an answer Beyond that you were supposed to think he's Karayan? He looks Karayan in the sense that he wears Karayan clothes and is tanned. In flashbacks with armor, it's less obvious. There were hints that Jimba was not (originally) Karayan as well.
    ...So Karayans aren't immediately distinguishable because that is their natural skin color? Seriously, are they all like that just because they are tanned? And for some reason the Chisan Tribe just.... isn't tanned? I honest to god thought the darker skin tone was a Karayan thing. XD

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The tan skin is a Karayan physical trait, but Jimba is noticeably lighter skins than everyone else in the village. I believe NPCs in Hugo's starting Chapter mention he's not a native but is an honorary member of the clan thanks to Lucia's family influence.

Have you done Thomas yet?

Yeah, I finished Thomas before I started n the chatper 3's.

And I guess I missed that NPC's dialogue.

Edit:

Okay, I hate that whoever takes flame Champs title gets the True Fire Rune, and if Geddoe takes it, the True Lighting changes hands. WHY CAN'T I JUST TAKE THE TITLE DAMMIT!? (I'm trying to decide between Chris and Geddoe)

Edit2: In the end, It didn't seem to make sense that Geddoe would be the one to take the mantle, so I opted for Chris.
    Last edited by NeoCracker; 07-19-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Yeah, I've had both Geddoe and Hugo as my FCs (Geddoe as my favorite of the 3, Hugo due to being the "true" FC), and it does suck that with Geddoe, you basically lose out on the awesome True Lightning Rune. Although Geddoe is also the most competent with True Fire, so is probably the only FC where you could actually use it (in combination with Fire Rings and Fire Sealing runes). Hugo, of course, is the most easily justified from a story perspective, means Geddoe keeps True Lightning and Chris True Water, and I've found his chapters less boring in subsequent playthroughs than I did the first time. He also fits the basic mold of Suikoden heroes. But you'll never actually use True Fire with him, because it sucks and he's a great physical fighter.

The main reason I would ever choose Chris is to use her horse on the world map. Walking around in S3 was not my favorite activity.

Got Landis after one fight in the forest.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

smurfer.

Actually I've gotten him pretty easily my 2nd and 3rd playthroughs. I think I just got very unlucky the first time.

Just grabbing up all the stars I can right now. Current set up:

Chris (True Fire, Pheonix)/Aila (Mother Earth/Shield)
    Emily (Lion/Haziness)/Nei (Water/Jangleur)
    Edge (Lighting/SunBeam)/Sanae Y. (Sickle-Weasle/LIghtining

Hugo and Geddeo aren't selectable for my party for some reason (I assume I\for story reasons, I'm about ot go see what the masked man is up to in the Great Hallow Undergroun), but Geddeo replaces Sanae Y. once I have him back.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

The other two main characters aren't available for your party for much of chapters 4 and 5, which is understandable because Geddoe + True Lightning is basically unfair. And Emily is an absolute beast.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For balancing reasons the other two heroes can't be used in FC party cause they would bork an already easy game.

Actually Hugo is the best with the True Fire Rune, while Geddoe has a higher affinity for it, Hugo can actually equip all the gear that raises his affinity with the Rune to something like S+ if memory serves me correct. This allows him to usually cast the TFR spells at the beginning of battles, avoiding the whole "friendly fire" issue it has. The only nice thing about giving Chris the TFR is that the True Water Rune doesn't go to waste. Chris, in a subversion of this usual trope, is the crappiest mage of the three main characters because she's the Heavy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

There's other equipment besides the Wizard Hat and Fire Rings? And I never bothered farming the treasure bosses that much, but couldn't you slap a bunch of Fire Magic Rings on Geddoe to get up to S? I think it'd take just one Wizard Hat plus two rings, as he's naturally a B+.

You could theoretically get a good fire magic affinity with Hugo with enough grinding for equipment, but if I want an easy game with Hugo as the FC, I'll just slap on some Fury Runes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If memory serves me correct, there is a piece of Armor that only Hugo's character class can wear which can bump up his Fire Magic. Frankly he's the best choice because Geddoe is too invaluable with his True Thunder Rune and unlike Chris, he's isn't horrible with magic meaning you can actually get some mileage out of it.