Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let us discuss the awesome taht is Suikoden 3! (Mark all spoilers I am just starting)

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Well yeah, Hugo's the best choice for FC for a lot of reasons, both for the story and gameplay. His ability to use the True Rune of Self-Immolation doesn't rank that highly.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you get his casting high enough, you can bombard enemies in the first round before the rest of the party can act unless you stack your team with speedy characters like Watari and Ayame. There are a lot of ways around the friendly fire issue in the game.

Yeah, I learned that pretty early game. Fire Rune can be really solid for an opener. Though even I'd prefer to send off some thundery magic.

I seem to have all the stars now (At least that are collectable for now), so I've just been hitting hidden chests (I know I can get a thunder off Siren, I just stopped paying attention during the boss fight and got myself killed, didn't save the THunder. ) at the start of chapter 5, leveling so me of the weaker dudes in case of Large scale battle.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Sure it's a decent opening spell, though certainly not as game-breaking as True Lightning. To each his own. As I said, if I want an easy game, Hugo/Fubar + Fury Runes is easier to get than a bunch of +fire equipment to use the higher-level True Fire spells, and is arguably more powerful. I guess you could do both if you wanted a really easy game.

One of the best things about Suikoden compared to, say, some FF games, is how easy it is to level up low-level characters late in the game. With a couple of characters from your main party, a group of 3-4 newbies can reach level 50 very quickly in the FC Hideaway, which is more than enough for the late-game war battles.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Have you beaten this yet? Or did you do what I did at first and get distracted right after getting to chapter 5?

Basically. I smurfed up and didn't pay attention to party selection, got killed by Yuber, and last time I saved was back before losing the True lIghting Rune.

So I've been wondering wehre the smurf to find a Cyclone Rune, so I finally googled it.

Turns out you can get one, and ONLY one in the game, from a lady in an attic in Chisa Village. You have to climb a ladder.

My FC is Chris. I cannot climb Ladders.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU............. ..

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh yeah, I've never encountered that difficulty, as Chris has never been my FC. I guess you could only get it in the Chapter 3s then.

Chris at least partly makes up for it by having access to better armor at the Guild Hall a full chapter earlier than anyone else.

Mechanically I would argue Chris is the best person to give the Fire Rune too.

Firstly, the Fire Rune is terrible because of the AoE's hitting allies. No matter who you give it to you won't see much use out of it. Geddoe may actually get some of the best use out of it, being the best mage over all of your three leads, and Final Flame being a single target spell means you have at least one good attack. But he loses True Lighting, which is vastly superior to Fire. No reason to give Geddoe anything other then True Ligthing, strongest True Rune with the best one to use it.

No matter who you give True Fire too, you won't get much use out of it. Even with his Fire Affinity, Hugo is far better at cutting things then casting, so he get's no use out of True Fire. Chris is just a terrible caster regardless, even at 60 she only gets one Tier 3 spell slot. Really, like Hugo, she's staying focused on Physicality.

Hugo with the water Rune, however, actually has some use due to getting multiple slots of Tier 3, and more of the lower Tiers. Tier 3 Water is a Revive spell, the only one In the game, and since it's not Tier 4 you don't have to worry as much about maxing out spell rank for casting time. Hugo becomes a pretty decent back up Healer with Water Rune, much better then Chris is.

Not that it's a difficult game anyway, so I guess it's not really important.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I see from your review that you were not the biggest fan!

I really like it, but different strokes for different folks and all that.

DID YOU DO THE PLAYS?

You should check out 5 cracker. It's the most like 2. Bad load times slightly hinder the enjoyment, but it's a minor gripe. The story feels the most like Game of Thrones as well. With the villains being very Lannister-like. The slow beginning might put you off, but in the end you'll appreciate how well it builds up the world.

1 is also a decent amount like 2, even having a bunch of the same party members(Viktor and Flik being most obvious). It didn't age as well though.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I see from your review that you were not the biggest fan!

I really like it, but different strokes for different folks and all that.

DID YOU DO THE PLAYS?
    Only a few of them. It was amusing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

You should put Viki as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. Or really pretty much anything.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I liked the Duck people..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..