Thread: Do you think Fallout 4 will outsell and be better than GTA 5?

Default Do you think Fallout 4 will outsell and be better than GTA 5?

Do you think so? Because Grand Theft Auto 5 is one of the most critically acclaimed games of our time and this generation. I know you can't exactly make a solid comparison because one is an open world action/adventure game and the other is an RPG. But it's worth it considering a lot people consider GTA 5 to be one of the best games of all time. Far better than GTA 4 which I felt was too damn limiting. But tell me what you think and how you feel about these games?

I'd rather play Saints Row 2-4 than GTA5, but I guess that's not what you're asking.

I'm guessing Fallout 4 will be a better game than GTA 5, but sell less. It might not be better, though. Fallout 3 probably wasn't, and New Vegas definitely was.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

nah
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Words cannot comprehend the sheer ludicrous amount of copies that GTA5 sold.

So no, Fallout 4 won't get anywhere close. Hopefully it'll be a comparatively quality game though.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

No. Only Minecraft has ever sold more than GTA V in the history of video games (I don't count Wii Sports). Skyrim is probably the most comparable game, given that it's an open world Bethesda RPG, and despite selling a really very impressive amount of copies that still only managed less than GTA V.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Also GTAV has the benefit of being on four home consoles and PC.

As for Fallout, it being a "better" game is highly subjective. There was a thread previously about Fallout vs GTA and that's been discussed there. Personally I thought GTAV was great. I've only ever tried Fallout 3 and I didn't like it so I won't be buying Fallout 4.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quality wise, I think it will give GTAV's critical reception a good run and certainly stands to surpass it on the aggregate sites. Bethesda RPGs also have way of engrossing players like nothing else. I just saw some Steam data that showed the number of people still playing Skyrim isn't that far off from GTAV. The sales discussion is another thing entirely.

GTAV is probably the only game to ever successfully leverage the massive install base at the end of a console generation. That's something incredibly rare that we might never see again. So that kinda knocks out Bethesda's chances.

At the same time, its astronomical numbers are also owed to European and emerging game markets which in the last 2-3 years are starting to collectively surpass North America in sales significance. Skyrim really catapulted Bethesda into the stratosphere, so I'm interested in seeing what their breed of titles can do with today's expanded gaming market. I think Fallout 4 has a chance to make a similar, if smaller, sales splash as GTAV did.

Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    I've only ever tried Fallout 3 and I didn't like it so I won't be buying Fallout 4.
    It always makes me sad when people give up on a game series after only trying the worst game in it. Oh well.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    No. Only Minecraft has ever sold more than GTA V in the history of video games (I don't count Wii Sports). Skyrim is probably the most comparable game, given that it's an open world Bethesda RPG, and despite selling a really very impressive amount of copies that still only managed less than GTA V.
    What about Tetris?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Too early to tell. We won't know how much it makes until it hit shelves. If GTAV is second only to Minecraft in profit it seems pretty unlikely, but strange things have been known to happen.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't matter to me! I enjoyed GTAV and will probably enjoy Fallout 4!

But that's not the topic. Fallout 4 will sell like hot cakes, but GTAV is going to be difficult to overcome.

Pears > apples

Two very different settings, both originate from a different genre, one's out and one's not. Though they might have some overlap I think the comparison at this point is a bit silly. Also, to "be better" could mean anything you want it to be
    Last edited by Pete for President; 07-10-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_moogle View Post
    I've only ever tried Fallout 3 and I didn't like it so I won't be buying Fallout 4.
    It always makes me sad when people give up on a game series after only trying the worst game in it. Oh well.
    Well maybe I'll check it out some time in the future, when it gets a price drop.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Blog Entries

I'm a fallout fan and not a GTA fan so I think it'll be better but, most likely wont sell more. 14 year old's would much rather steal cars and kill hookers than try to save the wasteland.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Fallout is... well not exactly niche anymore, but I don't think it has quite the same immense audience that GTA does.

It will sell a lot; might even pull a Skyrim. I don't see it out-selling GTA V but who knows.