Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shauna and Jinx Watch Terrible Movies and Talk About Them

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Showgirls was way better than this. At least there were boobs.
    how smurfing dare you showgirls is actually worse than twilight, I would rather watch bella swan try to throw herself off of a motorcycle than watch showgirls ever again
    "Man, everybody sparkles and s***!"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    agree to disagree
    Disagree to agree.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Watch this one. Neither of you will last three minutes.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Showgirls I couldn't even finish. I finished Twilight. It was bad but not that bad. Had a good soundtrack at least

Recently a bad movie I tried watching was Zombie Beavers...yeah.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never watched Showgirls, but I sat through the first Twilight movie once out of curiosity. Actually wasn't that bad, got some genuine laughs from me. When Edward isn't being a creeper he's an all right guy. From what I understand the movies improve upon the books. At least as much as they can.

Did I just praise Twilight? I have dishonored myself and my family. -impales self with sword-

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Never watched Showgirls, but I sat through the first Twilight movie once out of curiosity. Actually wasn't that bad, got some genuine laughs from me. When Edward isn't being a creeper he's an all right guy. From what I understand the movies improve upon the books. At least as much as they can.

Did I just praise Twilight? I have dishonored myself and my family. -impales self with sword-
    Edward is never not being a creeper though...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ya'll just going to gloss over that movie I posted?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in on the Twilight thing. Friend and I watched the first two for laughs. I been wanting to watch the rest of the movies because they were fun to riff on with a few buddies, but at the same time they are just mostly guilty of being simply boring movies. Though, I keep hearing that the end battle in the last movie is HYSTERICAL (even though it ends up being a lame cop out vision or whatever).

But yeah, the story is obviously aimed at tween girls, but also has creepy aspects the story. I feel sorry for Bella's father. Screw Team Edward of Team Jacob. Team Mike all the way! That poor dude puts up with so much garbage!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Relativey speaking, the books are way better than the movies. And the books aren't even as bad as most people make out. Sure, they're not GOOD, but they're not end of the world bad or anything. People act like it'd the worst series of all time when it really isn't. And they might not be good, but at least they're entertaining. I still hold my position that the worst thing media can do isn't be bad, or stupid, or offensive. The worst thing it can do is be boring.

Also, Sephex: Charlie's Bella's dad. And actually my favorite character in the series!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Relativey speaking, the books are way better than the movies. And the books aren't even as bad as most people make out. Sure, they're not GOOD, but they're not end of the world bad or anything. People act like it'd the worst series of all time when it really isn't. And they might not be good, but at least they're entertaining. I still hold my position that the worst thing media can do isn't be bad, or stupid, or offensive. The worst thing it can do is be boring.
    You're right in a sense; the worst thing for media is for it to be boring because boring media gets forgotten. Bad, stupid, and offensive things are remembered. The fact that the series romanticises the abuse and neglect of women, supports stalking is an acceptable form of flattery, that loss of identity when not clinging to a man they worship is normal, portrays women are sinners who beg for sex and overall supports the idea that defining oneself purely by their relationship is what we should strive for in life, among a myriad of other poor lessons to teach to women - especially young and impressionable women - makes it bad, stupid, and offensive.

It's just been eclipsed (lolol) by the Master of the Universe series, which shocked everyone into being actually worse than Twilight.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    You're right in a sense; the worst thing for media is for it to be boring because boring media gets forgotten. Bad, stupid, and offensive things are remembered. The fact that the series romanticises the abuse and neglect of women, supports stalking is an acceptable form of flattery, that loss of identity when not clinging to a man they worship is normal, portrays women are sinners who beg for sex and overall supports the idea that defining oneself purely by their relationship is what we should strive for in life, among a myriad of other poor lessons to teach to women - especially young and impressionable women - makes it bad, stupid, and offensive.

It's just been eclipsed (lolol) by the Master of the Universe series, which shocked everyone into being actually worse than Twilight.
    Actually had to Google and make sure that was Fifty Shades. x)

You're not wrong, but I still think it's far from the worst series or worst books ever written. Especially from a technical stand point (people say the writing is awful, when it's not so bad. Again, not good, but better than some stuff I've read, for sure!)

At least the Midnight Sun (lololol) of the series has gone down, and most impressionable girls that were the target audience when it came out have seen better. I LOVED the series when I was 16 (and had never had a boyfriend...) and for a while I flat out hated it, now I'm sort of apathetic. At least in the circle of people I know, I'm hard pressed to find anyone who has taken any lasting impressions of Twilight into their adult lives.

Now, adults who read Fifty Shades...I dunno, man.

But I think what you mentioned is honestly indicative of problems in YA fiction in general, not just Twilight. I really enjoy reading YA stuff now and then (they're usually fun and stupid reads, and every once in a while they're legitimately good and intelligent works of fiction) but emotionally abusive/manipulative relationships are pretty much the norm in the genre. I don't think Twilight started that trend, but I certainly does come off as the worst offender since the entire story is a romance (as opposed to a lot of other stories that are other things WITH romance).

Anyways, never thought I'd be defending Twilight. xD My point is, when I re-read them last summer, I had a lot of fun. Mostly because I was doing a running commentary and was just all BELLA GIRL NO.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post

Edward is never not being a creeper though...
    There were some scenes, though not many, where he doesn't come across as creepy to me. Though when I say creeper, I'm mainly thinking about the scene where he watches Bella sleep.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also, Sephex: Charlie's Bella's dad. And actually my favorite character in the series!
    I forgot to mention. My group of friends and I have an injoke where every guy with a mustache is named Mike by default.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

I forgot to mention. My group of friends and I have an injoke where every guy with a mustache is named Mike by default.
    Ah, okay. Because there's actually a character in the series who is named Mike, so you can understand the confusion! xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

>has a mustache
    >is now named after his father

Articles
    Blog Entries

Getting back to the subject of Twilight, yeah, there are tons of negative things about the story in general, but I ultimately agree with Jinx where the story is simply mediocre more than anything.

In fact, it has got to the point that I think the people who are like, "LOL BETTER LOVE STORY THAN TWILIGHT LOL SPARKLING VAMPIRES" are far more annoying than people who genuinely enjoy the work. It's like, surprise, young people sometimes get into lame things. You being in your 20s and 30s trying to show desperately how much smarter/better you are than books aimed at tween girls doesn't make you look cool.

I don't like the Twilight either, and I had my fun poking fun at the series and fanbase, but that time has passed. Much like Justin Beiber, One Direction, Kanye West, or whatever pop culture things people bitch about, I only hear about such things because people trying SO HARD to place themselves on a pedestal won't SHUT THE HELL UP about them. Sure, it's okay to criticize some things, but it seems that some people out there make it their entire identity to hate things. It's such a waste of time.

And yes, I know I have made similar posts like this before. But yeah, uh TL;DR....Twilight it bad, but it's time to move on and stop trying to look cool by shooting at an easy target.