Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shauna and Jinx Watch Terrible Movies and Talk About Them

Scary movie 5. Or don't be a menace to South Central while drinking your juice in the hood

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Relativey speaking, the books are way better than the movies. And the books aren't even as bad as most people make out. Sure, they're not GOOD, but they're not end of the world bad or anything. People act like it'd the worst series of all time when it really isn't. And they might not be good, but at least they're entertaining. I still hold my position that the worst thing media can do isn't be bad, or stupid, or offensive. The worst thing it can do is be boring.
    You're right in a sense; the worst thing for media is for it to be boring because boring media gets forgotten. Bad, stupid, and offensive things are remembered. The fact that the series romanticises the abuse and neglect of women, supports stalking is an acceptable form of flattery, that loss of identity when not clinging to a man they worship is normal, portrays women are sinners who beg for sex and overall supports the idea that defining oneself purely by their relationship is what we should strive for in life, among a myriad of other poor lessons to teach to women - especially young and impressionable women - makes it bad, stupid, and offensive.
    This is also because bad/stupid/offensive media acts as a foil to worthwhile, exemplary media. Things on either end of the spectrum are important because they, on one hand, can contain lessons, warnings, and ideas we can identify as being valuable. They can also contain lessons and ideas we can identify as being harmful. Bad examples are good to have around. Anything that falls in the middle is kind of useless, in that it doesn't lend itself to any progression whatsoever.

I agree that Twilight is particularly dangerous because, while it's very clear how something like 50 Shades of Grey contains harmful ideas and messages, Twilight isn't as heavy handed. It flies further under the radar.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Is this still on? Do you accept request?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

i kind of want to watch showgirls now

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

You know Sam and I were talking not too long ago and I was pretty adamant that I'd never seen Showgirls

Boy is my face red

I can't believe I'd forgotten that I'd watched it

How bad must it have been

Alternatively how much had I had to drink

i cant believe you forgot a whole friendship with jinx

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Who?