Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scarring them for life also works I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Minato Arisato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzai View Post
    SMT: Nocturne.

Etrian Odyssey: Any of them played above easy mode.

Dark Souls, especially Online Mode.

SMT: Devil Survivor broke a few friends of mine... though that may have been the strategy game element.

BoF: Dragon Quarter. Like everything else listed here I enjoyed Dragon Quarter, but I admit certain mechanics are a kick in the teeth for newbies.
    *spews out drink* Really? I thought it was pretty good!

Well, I guess there are quite a few difficulty spikes...
    I don't think there is a Shin Megami Title that's at all friendly to new comers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Persona 4 Golden is unloseable.
    Challenge accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Persona 4 Golden is unloseable.
    Challenge accepted.
    lol I'd kinda like to see that. I think I'm playing on normal difficulty. And barely even came close to dying. But I know when to grind and generally how much to grind before it gets tedious and ruins the game. I played the original on easy since it was my first MegaTen game. But I died like once. And it wasn't really worth it. You get like 10 "no game over" items on easy. I think you get like 5 in normal. So you'd still have to fail hard like 5 times before you can really say you're bad at it. But I honestly can't remember the beginning of Golden well enough to say it even works off the same mechanic. It may well be impossible to lose. Maybe you always have that no game over item

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My list includes:

Any game directed by Yasumi Matsuno - The man loves complex battle mechanics and complex stories. If you want to try your hand at a game he worked on that doesn't have his usual heavy handedness attached to it, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is your gateway title. He was only the producer on that one. So no Ogre Battle, Tactic Ogre, FFT, FFXII, or Vagrant Story.

Any game Akitoshi Kawazu has worked on - Unconventional and "out of the box" defines any game this man has worked on and his games are so radically different from the norm, the poor player will think all RPGs are this overly complicated and weird. No FFII, SaGa franchise. You're best chance with his work is the Crystal Chronicles franchise and even then it varies from game to game.

Any game Tetsuya Takahashi has worked on - Very heavy handed on plot, odd battle systems with rollercoaster difficulty spikes, and storlines that involve deep analysis to get the full meaning of, Takahashi's Xeno franchise is an odd duck in the genre. Xenoblade Chronicles is probably the most user friendly entry and even then the battle mechanics are surprisingly complex in later stages and the amount of quests and optional content will drown a player not use to this kind of things.

Any Shin Megami Tensei title - Persona is probably the most accessible besides DemiKids and even those games are far more difficult than conventional RPGs like Final Fantasy.

The Original versions of Dragon Quest series - The remakes have altered a lot from the franchise to make it more accessible, even then I would say the first two games will turn off most newbies, the third and fourth games have not aged as well and the original versions have certain... elements the remakes saw proper to get rid of. Same goes with the fifth entry which has graphics so bad you'd almost mistake it for a NES title. The seventh installment is a nightmare to complete with little direction and tons of backtracking and the series only really gets accessible with VIII and the DS remakes. Seriously, DQ was a franchise that needed a facelift and modernization, so they are the definition of how to do a remake right.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    You're going to need this:

Then again, maybe people wouldn't disagree because of how the game would feel to a newbie, but I'd take that just to be safe.
    Yeah, Tactics is a great game, but the only way I'd ever recommend that to someone new to RPG's is if they regularly played strategy games and the like that are more complex and I knew they could handle it.