View Poll Results: Least favourite character?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squall

3 10.00%
  • Zell

7 23.33%
  • Selphie

7 23.33%
  • Rinoa

6 20.00%
  • Quistis

5 16.67%
  • Irvine

12 40.00%
  • Laguna

3 10.00%
  • Kiros

2 6.67%
  • Ward

5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most disliked (playable) character?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Galbadia Garden doesn't work for Galbadia, it's just in their territory. That's why the Sorceress had to have a full-on military invasion where she dumped all the students and replaced them with actual soldiers. The Gardens are specifically independent organizations and not part of any country.
    While it's true Garden is meant to be autonomous, if you really pay attention and explore Galbadia Garden, you'll learn the Garden is actually closely tied to the Galbadian Military (their whole army is said to be made from Garden cadets that didn't make the cut to be SeeD) so they actually do have closer ties to the government than Balamb or Trabia do, but then again neither of them are located by major political powers as well.

And we're not debating Irvine's logic here. We're debating why people hate him. Nobody cares why the weasel sells you out, only that he sells you out. As I said, Irvine's only contributions are to fail at why he's there in the first place and then to try and leave the party to rot in prison. Those are very good reasons for people to think he's a trout stain and the worst character ever in the FF series.
    I disagree he's the worst but I felt I would counter points and stick up for the dude.

Your persistence in defending FFVIII is honestly worrying. Did something....happen to you recently? Are you feeling alright? In the past you've always had the correct opinion that this game is total garbage and it doesn't correctly utilize any of the characters and the plot makes no goddam sense. But recently you are sticking up for it all the damned time and it's confusing.
    I've never said it was garbage, broken as all hell with lots of missed opportunities and a plot that should have stayed a first draft? Yeah, totally said that stuff before but I honestly like the game despite it's faults because it was creative and daring when no one expected it to be, and I find Squall to be one of the more relatable characters in the franchise. I've defended it probably as often as I've slammed it but the game was always a mixed bag. Despite all that it's probably one of the better PS1 FFs when taken for it what it is.

Btw why is Seifer not up there? And smurf those people who picked every single character as the worst, that's just rude

Anyway, out of the bunch I also pick Irvine as my least favourite BUT I don't hate the guy and I also want to add on to some of the points Wolf Kanno mentioned.

1. Being a womanizer: I also usually dislike these types of characters but there are a few other FF characters that are womanizers too but people love them (Zidane and Edgar). So why hate on Irvine and not Zidane for this one aspect?

2. Choking at sharpshooting: Irvine was the only one at the time that knew Edea was their matron, he choked because he didn't want to kill his childhood caretaker, and I also think he was more scared of the fact that his name would go down in history for it more-so than just doing the deed. I think he was more terrified of fame and the pressure that comes with said fame. He wouldn't be classified as an expert sharpshooter if he choked every time he had to snipe someone.

Your persistence in defending FFVIII is honestly worrying. Did something....happen to you recently? Are you feeling alright? In the past you've always had the correct opinion that this game is total garbage and it doesn't correctly utilize any of the characters and the plot makes no goddam sense. But recently you are sticking up for it all the damned time and it's confusing.
    I think it's more worrying that you're always slamming FF8 constantly, if you hate it so much why do you need to make so many threads and comments slamming it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    1. Mainly womanizes in the beginning and then spends the majority of the game just focusing on Selphie who is oblivious, making for some really funny scenes because he's less "creepy stalker" and more like Johnny Bravo. I take it no one here likes Edgar and Zidane either since they are both much worse about being creepy with it.

2. Except he does shoot. He fails but he actually shoots and realistically, you can be a great marksman and still choke on a shoot, especially if you are shooting a real person. Statistically, new recruits tend to miss more than veterans because they purposely aim high to miss the target because military training can't really prepare you for killing a living human target. Getting better at that comes from doing so on the battlefield.

3. Well we are talking about a guy who was under orders to bring Rinoa back and unlike the other SeeDs, helping them would mean he's going against his homeland. He actually grew up in the Galbadia region, and his Garden is working for said country so why should he have loyalty to a foreign military force?

4. He spends the rest of the game trying to be match maker for Squall and Rinoa, so he does actually do something after he joins besides revealing one of the series more awkward plot twists.
    Not to mention he was up against a powerful witch who managed to block his shot with her magic. If Edea wasn't a sorceress, Irvine would've least managed to shoot Edea in the high neck, which would've stunned her enough for Irvine to quickly take another shot and take Edea out, before the Galbadia guards got to the SeeDs and Rinoa. Galbadia would've been no longer under Edea's ruling so they could not do a single thing.

Also remember that Edea was like Irvine's mother to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    I think it's more worrying that you're always slamming FF8 constantly, if you hate it so much why do you need to make so many threads and comments slamming it.
    It's like how Arin Hanson feels about Sonic the Hedgehog and how he's always ranting and whining about the platforming gaming series and wants everybody to hate on the game just as much as he does.
    Last edited by maybee; 08-23-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Selphie fo sho.

Selphie...

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man, people hating on Selphie, best character with the best limit, y'all nuts.

Rinoa always felt pretty useless to me. Everything she could do, someone else could do better. That's probably more a function of the draw and junction system than anything though.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I actually like Irvine, he's cocky and arrogant/womanising but underneath he's actually sensitive and not at all a total jerk. He seems like a pretty standard, confused teenage boy in a war.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Picked Irvine. I genuinely like all the characters but went for him because he joined the party late and I didn't warm to him as much as I did with the others.

In the past you've always had the correct opinion that this game is total garbage and it doesn't correctly utilize any of the characters and the plot makes no goddam sense.
    My favourite game ever.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

Quistis

- she finishes Squalls sentences, talks over him, talks too much in general
    -she continues to flirt with Squall despite his obvious lack of interest
    -the comment she makes in the fire cave about the male candiates being distracted by her is egocentric and unprofessional considering she's an instructor
    -she screws up during the Deling City mission in her own way by insisting she has enough time to apologise to Rinoa, then getting all of them locked in so they have to take the long way round (how did she make it as an instructor?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Man, people hating on Selphie, best character with the best limit, y'all nuts.

Rinoa always felt pretty useless to me. Everything she could do, someone else could do better. That's probably more a function of the draw and junction system than anything though.
    Selphie's limit break is arguably the worst = luck, best is Zell and Squall for most damage output.
    But Rinoa's limit breaks are awesome, cast Aura on Rinoa and get her to spam Invincible moon and wishing star (unlearn the other limits) = every battle is easy. Also her base attack stat is the same as Squalls.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I despise Zell. He never entered my party and never will.

Not including any times you have to use him of course.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Twirler of moustaches CactuarKing's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    I despise Zell. He never entered my party and never will.

Not including any times you have to use him of course.
    I agree with this totally. Zell was such a loud obnoxious brat and his constant attempts to punch things....well.....they got ever so slightly on my nerves!!