View Poll Results: Least favourite character?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squall

3 10.00%
  • Zell

7 23.33%
  • Selphie

7 23.33%
  • Rinoa

6 20.00%
  • Quistis

5 16.67%
  • Irvine

12 40.00%
  • Laguna

3 10.00%
  • Kiros

2 6.67%
  • Ward

5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most disliked (playable) character?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Default Most disliked (playable) character?

So who was your most disliked character? For me it was a toss up between Zell and Laloser.

For Zell, he was to lound and annoying and Laguna was just irritating... if I had to choose between the two I would probably say Zell, simply because he is about for a lot longer, and while you are forced to play as Laloser a lot more, he is Squalls dad so I'll give him props for that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Irvine

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Ward w/ his ridic anchor

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I didn't like Ward or Irvine. But, I liked his hat.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like all of them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Gameplay wise, Selphie is my least favorite character to use, Slots is just one of my least favorite Limit Breaks. Story wise, Rinoa is my least favorite because she hits too many of my least favorite tropes when it comes to leading ladies.

Quistis. She's beauitful, popular, talented and intelligent. She has everything anybody would ever wish for- expect for the town's local emo. So she breaks down and acts like the world is ending because of it.

I could make a serious case that Irvine is the worst character in the entire series, let alone just FFVIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Irvine was just awful. It's a shame because they could have done a sniper character so much better. In fact, the way they did it, they couldn't have done it much worse.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay, I'm curious now since he's winning in the poll. Why is Irvine so hated?

1. He's introduced as a womanizer.

2. His sole reason for being on our team is to be the sharpshooter and take out Edea. He can't do it though because he "always" chokes. That means, a guy who's entire career is working under pressure, cracks under pressure, and bungles the most important thing you do for most of the game. He completely failed at the only reason he's even around.

3. He abandons Squall and the others to their fate in D-District Prison and only goes back to save them because Rinoa scratched him a bunch.

So he's:
    Sexist
    Incompetent
    Traitorous

And he never does anything useful in the game, ever.

That good enough?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

^ What Forsaken Lover said.

His constant hitting on the girls does get old pretty quickly.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Exactly.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

1. Mainly womanizes in the beginning and then spends the majority of the game just focusing on Selphie who is oblivious, making for some really funny scenes because he's less "creepy stalker" and more like Johnny Bravo. I take it no one here likes Edgar and Zidane either since they are both much worse about being creepy with it.

2. Except he does shoot. He fails but he actually shoots and realistically, you can be a great marksman and still choke on a shoot, especially if you are shooting a real person. Statistically, new recruits tend to miss more than veterans because they purposely aim high to miss the target because military training can't really prepare you for killing a living human target. Getting better at that comes from doing so on the battlefield.

3. Well we are talking about a guy who was under orders to bring Rinoa back and unlike the other SeeDs, helping them would mean he's going against his homeland. He actually grew up in the Galbadia region, and his Garden is working for said country so why should he have loyalty to a foreign military force?

4. He spends the rest of the game trying to be match maker for Squall and Rinoa, so he does actually do something after he joins besides revealing one of the series more awkward plot twists.

Galbadia Garden doesn't work for Galbadia, it's just in their territory. That's why the Sorceress had to have a full-on military invasion where she dumped all the students and replaced them with actual soldiers. The Gardens are specifically independent organizations and not part of any country.

And we're not debating Irvine's logic here. We're debating why people hate him. Nobody cares why the weasel sells you out, only that he sells you out. As I said, Irvine's only contributions are to fail at why he's there in the first place and then to try and leave the party to rot in prison. Those are very good reasons for people to think he's a trout stain and the worst character ever in the FF series.

Your persistence in defending FFVIII is honestly worrying. Did something....happen to you recently? Are you feeling alright? In the past you've always had the correct opinion that this game is total garbage and it doesn't correctly utilize any of the characters and the plot makes no goddam sense. But recently you are sticking up for it all the damned time and it's confusing.