• Digimon

8 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon versus Digimon

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Pokemon versus Digimon

Which do you prefer?

I was always a Pokemon man, myself. Never got into Digimon all that much even though I watched some of the anime and played the first Digimon World. I like the premise in Pokemon a lot more. Although, Digimon World had the monsters taking a trout so it will always have bonus points for that.

Discuss.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

If we're talking anime, Digimon is WAY better.

But when it comes to games, I'm a Pokemon fan. Pokemon is life.

I must side with Digimon in this comparison. Pokémon in both the games and anime(if it can be called such) is far too repetitive. The main series of games can basically be summed up as 'O hai there, we added more mons to the exact same plotline has before. Have fun paying to play a spruced up version of the same game'. I've lost all patience with that series. Digimon however, buying a different game actually lives up to the feeling of being a different game.

Anime wise I'd say comparing the two is a joke, Digimon proves superior by a landslide. Part of this is personal preference to the monsters themselves. On this front Digimon wins my heart my providing creatures that live up to the word 'monster', both in appearance and in spirit... While even the few Pokémon that should be legitimately scary still remind me of a plush toy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anzai View Post
    I must side with Digimon in this comparison. Pokémon in both the games and anime(if it can be called such) is far too repetitive. The main series of games can basically be summed up as 'O hai there, we added more mons to the exact same plotline has before. Have fun paying to play a spruced up version of the same game'. I've lost all patience with that series. Digimon however, buying a different game actually lives up to the feeling of being a different game.
    I can't really dispute those points. Pokemon has a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" formula working for them. I can't really see how they could expand asides from BoB's idea to make a MMO where they update the regions and Pokemon through expansions every couple of years and gave us Pokemon in glorious 1080p high definition. And if it wasn't for their old man's views of the internet they probably would have done that by now. Even then it'd probably still be the same formula just with a different presentation. Digimon had more of an action-adventure feel to its premise that made different scenarios easier as suppose to Pokemon being more like a virtual pet simulator. With fighting. Kind of like Monster Rancher.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I think it's kind of unfair to dismiss it like that.

Pokemon have incredibly robust mechanics, but at the same time it's really simple on the surface. It's a kids' game that can be fully enjoyed by adults because of that, hence the broad appeal. Which is also why the Pokemon are all cuddly - they're meant to be marketable, not monstrous. And I'd argue that, although I do enjoy the Digimon designs, Pokemon are much more distinct from one another than Digimon. Like come on, I know some Digimon are just pallette swaps. How is that not lazy?

Digimon has the superior plot - fine, if the games do that too, perfect. I loved the anime a lot and think that Tamers is really brilliant. But not all games are about the plot. Pokemon have an excuse plot and that's okay - the games have always been more about exploring that world and learning more about those creatures. The world is one of the most unique in existence, IMO, what with how the presence of Pokemon has influenced the civilizations in that world. Seriously, aside from getting a letter from Hogwarts, being inside an actual Pokemon world was one of my biggest childhood dreams.

Also, while they are usually light on plot, Pokemon Black/White still did a fantastic job with the story, showing that Pokemon can be a very self-aware franchise, with one of the coolest deconstructions/reconstructions of the genre that I have seen. It remains one of my favorite games of all time for that reason. Yes, I like a Pokemon game for its plot.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    If we're talking anime, Digimon is WAY better.

But when it comes to games, I'm a Pokemon fan. Pokemon is life.
    This is my exact answer.

I can't answer the poll because I feel like Digimon has the far superior anime series and Pokemon has the far superior games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Yeah, I think it's kind of unfair to dismiss it like that.

Pokemon have incredibly robust mechanics, but at the same time it's really simple on the surface. It's a kids' game that can be fully enjoyed by adults because of that, hence the broad appeal. Which is also why the Pokemon are all cuddly - they're meant to be marketable, not monstrous. And I'd argue that, although I do enjoy the Digimon designs, Pokemon are much more distinct from one another than Digimon. Like come on, I know some Digimon are just pallette swaps. How is that not lazy?
    Yeah, they may not change a lot, but in terms of game mechanics and aesthetics, I have to say that I think Pokémon crushes Digimon. Maybe there's a reason Digimon changes the mechanics with every game.

Digimon has the superior plot - fine, if the games do that too, perfect. I loved the anime a lot and think that Tamers is really brilliant. But not all games are about the plot. Pokemon have an excuse plot and that's okay - the games have always been more about exploring that world and learning more about those creatures. The world is one of the most unique in existence, IMO, what with how the presence of Pokemon has influenced the civilizations in that world. Seriously, aside from getting a letter from Hogwarts, being inside an actual Pokemon world was one of my biggest childhood dreams.
    I think everyone is overlooking something major here:

WHICH Digimon anime are we looking at?

Yeah, Tamers is great, and everyone agrees. But Frontier was just as universally reviled (despite being the only season whose intro song didn't make your ears bleed).

It's easy to say "oh, the anime was great" when you're cherry-picking the best parts. It didn't stick with a single set of characters, or even a single UNIVERSE, any more than the games stuck with mechanics.

Also, while they are usually light on plot, Pokemon Black/White still did a fantastic job with the story, showing that Pokemon can be a very self-aware franchise, with one of the coolest deconstructions/reconstructions of the genre that I have seen. It remains one of my favorite games of all time for that reason. Yes, I like a Pokemon game for its plot.
    I agree that plot was the best part of Black/White, but I frankly don't NEED a great plot when the games do everything else so well. Sometimes, I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy a fantasy world where I train monsters, defeat comical bad guys, and everything is simple. When I want a plot, I'll look towards the games (and spinoffs) that focus on plot. The rest of the time, the game world does enough for me.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    WHICH Digimon anime are we looking at?

Yeah, Tamers is great, and everyone agrees. But Frontier was just as universally reviled (despite being the only season whose intro song didn't make your ears bleed).
    Yeah I was referring to the "good" Digimon in my post-- particularly Tamers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, the only anime I've seen were the two Adventure seasons and Tamers. And even Adventure 20, the weakest season, was miles better than any Pokemon anime

Unless you count Origins. That was awesome.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It doesn't matter, the anime adaption of Pokemon was only decent for the first season and then everything afterwards is a giant drag fest. Digimon is the superior anime series overall even if a few seasons were cringe worthy. By contrast, Pokemon is the better game series, though Digimon does occasionally release something that is playable and dare I say it? Fun.

Between the two? Digimon is my favorite IP of the two.

I'm a huge Pokémon fan but I still prefer Digimon.

Digimon World for PS1 was probably one of my favourite games growing up.

I don't care how trout it was Digimon World 2 is amazing.

Also Cyber Slueth is coming out. And that game actually seems interesting, and Quite honestly the Pokemon games have gone stale for me a long time ago.

Digimon in my opinion has always been the better series. At least in terms of anime, in terms of games. At least Namco Bandai tries to change things up with the Digimon series and introduce new stuff instead of reusing the same formula.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

when i was younger i love Digimon so much :3
    so in case of anime the vote goes definitly to Digimon.
    Pokemon wins in terms of games

p.s when will that 'new' digimon anime come?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I voted for Digimon before seeing the poll or the thread, and I'm still surprised. I figured Pokemon would be blowing this trout up.