Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Horror Games

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Survival Horror Games

Good god almighty, there are so many games in this genre I haven't even touched it's not funny.

Clocktower
    Hellnight
    Parasite Eve (Saving it for Women's Month 2016)
    OverBlood
    Echo Night
    Alone in the Dark
    Koudelka
    D
    Chaos Break
    Martian Gothic: Unification
    Galerians
    Nightmare Creatures
    Fear Effect
    The Note
    SilverLord
    Countdown Vampires
    Baroque
    Vampire Hunter D (Wait, there's a game of this!?)
    Doom II (Why is this on a Survival Horror list?)
    Soul of the Samurai

And most of those are games for the PlayStation. Talk about Survival Horror here! Favorite games, least favorite games, and if there are any in the list above you would recommend/tell to stay away from.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and F.E.A.R. series. I also enjoyed Eternal Darkness and Amnesia. I didn't enjoy Dino Crisis that much. Felt too much like a RE clone.

I'll be playing some new survival horror games this Halloween. Namely Alien: Isolation, The Evil Within, Outland, and the first Dead Space.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Ayen; 07-17-2015 at 08:32 AM.

I've always struggled with the more hardcore survival horrors out there. I like horror when it's combined with more adventure or action type gameplay. Resident Evil I love, despite it's fall from grace. Although I think the series that does horror the best in the modern industry is actually Dark Souls. Not survival horror but still, it gets something right that most fail at.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only ever really played the original four Team Silent SH games.

AND I LOVE THEM SOOOOOO!!!!! 2 and 4 especially.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    I didn't enjoy Dino Crisis that much. Felt too much like a RE clone.
    An RE clone with Dinosaurs.

The second one was trout though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    I didn't enjoy Dino Crisis that much. Felt too much like a RE clone.
    An RE clone with Dinosaurs.

The second one was trout though.
    I believe what you meant to say was that the second was an improvement on the first and the series started to feel like it was getting its own identity.

Yeah, that's what you meant to say.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The second one was even more of an RE clone, but tried to make the old style RE games and their controls into an action game. It was an abysmal failure on every level. The original at least tried new things without attempting an ill conceived genre switch.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've been on a bit of a bender with them over the past two weeks, beat Amnesia, Silent Hill 2 and 3. Probably going to have a look at Outlast next.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SapientiaXIII View Post
    Would you consider Fatal Frame (Project Zero over in Europe and Japan) to be survival horror?
    Well, that is the genre it's classified under, so... I don't see why not.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I get too scared. I watched sharky play Alien: Isolation and I had to look away or distract myself quite often because I get spooked. I tried like 5 minutes of it and my heart was beating so fast that it hurt. I've seen a friend play one of the Silent Hill and one of the Clock Tower games, but I only saw a bit of them. It's a bit of a shame because Silent Hill seems to have a really good story but I'd need to watch someone else play during the day time and then have them not leave me alone for a while

Quote Originally Posted by SapientiaXIII View Post
    Would you consider Fatal Frame (Project Zero over in Europe and Japan) to be survival horror? 'Cause that's a pretty darn good series. You basically fight ghosts (it's not as cheesy as it sounds) with a camera in FPS view. You have to wait until the ghosts get reaaal close and personal before you can take a shot and damage them. The stories themselves are almost always fascinating and generally based or inspired on some sort of old Japanese myth. Fatal Frame V is coming to the US soon enough on the WiiU (grr), anyone going to pick that up? The story is inspired by Aokigahara forest in Japan, the freaky "suicide" forest. O.o

Also, Ninty, please give us Fatal Frame IV for god's sake. ;___; Maybe an HD remaster, pls? Is there any hope of a PS3 HD remaster of the first four games?
    You are aware that there is a Fatal Frame IV coming to the Wii U using the GamePad as your camera with gyro aiming, right? It was shown off at E3, just not at Nintendo's Digital Event.

I've tried Silent Hill, Clock Tower, and Fatal Frame recently, at the request of a friend. I liked Fatal Frame the best. But I have to say, I don't really get much "horror" out of this genre. They feel like fairly difficult action games where your greatest enemy is terrible controls (gyro controls on Fatal Frame will be awesome) and worse camera angles. They're decent games, and I love the puzzles and atmosphere, but they don't really scare me at all.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    I get too scared. I watched sharky play Alien: Isolation and I had to look away or distract myself quite often because I get spooked. I tried like 5 minutes of it and my heart was beating so fast that it hurt. I've seen a friend play one of the Silent Hill and one of the Clock Tower games, but I only saw a bit of them. It's a bit of a shame because Silent Hill seems to have a really good story but I'd need to watch someone else play during the day time and then have them not leave me alone for a while
    It's even worse after playing a game of Silent Hill there's fog outside your house the next day.

Not even kidding.

Blog Entries

DayZ > all. You actually have to survive! And the zombies aren't the horror part. Other players are

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    DayZ > all. You actually have to survive! And the zombies aren't the horror part. Other players are
    I noticed that trend in a lot of things. Walking Dead, The Last of Us, etc. People are the real trout you need to worry about, the zombies are just an afterthought. Well, I guess that isn't as apparent in the Last of Us as it is The Walking Dead, but still.

Loved Alien: Isolation. Dead Space. Alan Wake. The Last of Us. Great gaming experiences. Resident Evil Revelations 2 was really good as well. Pretty great co-op horror with the typical Resident Evil flair. Not quite as combat intensive as 5 and 6, so it's a little closer to its roots

I didn't have many opportunities to enjoy the old school originators like the first few RE games and I think I've only played one Silent Hill game

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like that you mentioned Clock Tower first.

I usually say I love Clock Tower, but the truth is all four clock tower games has horrible unforgivable game controls, and might be better off as memories than a game to be played in 2015. I still love the games though. If I was a mother they'd be the babies I'd never stop breastfeeding.

Recently I haven't played much survival horror. I played Outlast a while back, I recently finish Among the Sleep and I've started the evil within.

A couple good games not mentioned:

Haunting Ground
    Obscure