Thread: Breath of Fire

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Breath of Fire

Breathes fire. Okay, no, I can't do that. It'd be cool, though.

Breath of Fire! I'm sure this topic has been made before, but from what I can see not in the last three months so here it is again. I'm lame and only played the fourth installment. I have the third game, I just haven't had the time or the desire to play it yet. It's on the long to-do list that I'll never finish before I die. What's your favorite and least favorite games in the series?

Discuss.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Least favorite is I because it's still kinda weird. The series didn't really find itself until II, IMO.

I never got why III is so hyped. The story kinda fell apart in my eyes on the way, and the end part seemed really rushed.

IV is my favorite of the, let's say, "traditional" BoF games. It really had a great story with a strong cast of characters, and a very nice world.

I adore Dragon Quarter for how original it is and how every time you play it's different. I can see why people didn't like it too much if they were expecting more of the same, but it's still a damn great game.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Breath of Fire III was my first RPG (well, second after Super Mario RPG), and I greatly enjoyed it, but I somehow never got around to playing the other BoF games.

Breath of Fire one is a bit a product of it's time. One of the early SNES era RPG's where they were just getting use to more expansive games then NES era RPG's, and from a team new to the concept. For what it was and it's time, it's a fine enough game.

Breath of Fire 2, to me, is everything old school about RPG's done to near perfection. This is among my favorites.

Breath of Fire 3 changed up a fair bit to expand on old school formula's with the extra turn set up, making speed based characters in the 1 attack per person per round set up, and the master system adding a lot of customization. I didn't enjoy it as much as 2, but a fantastic game.

I have yet to play four.

And Dragon Quarter isn't hated because it's different and people wanted more of the same. They hate it because the systems in place are terrible.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They're awesome and you're wrong

Dragon Quarter is too good for this world. Too pure.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The first game is my least favorite. It has some interesting ideas but nothing that can hold your interest. It's a fairly generic RPG with a few good ideas mixed in with some not so well thought out ones.

II is where the series really came into it's own and really differentiated itself from the competition. The plot feels a bit strung out in parts and there are still some questionable game design choices but overall it's a great game. Has the best incarnation of Nina and Katt is easily one of my favorite characters in the series.

III is actually my favorite, the pacing is a bit off but the core gameplay is the best in the series in my opinion and the story actually takes some interesting turns to make it feel really interesting. I love the cast. The Dragon Gene system is the best in the series.

IV is good but has some really wonky pacing and it's obvious the staff cared more about Fou-Lu than Ryu's section of the script. Gameplay is similar to BoFIII but adds a few new elements which are nice in their own right but kind of throw off the balance of the original system. Honestly, you're better off reading the manga adaption as it cuts out all the filler of Ryu's arc (which is A LOT) and makes for a better paced story.

V (a.k.a. Dragon Quarter) is a very experimental game. The combat is pretty awesome if a bit simple since you only have three party members but I would argue V kind of showed a really cool way to make 3D Battles work with Turn Base Combat. The plot is one of the darkest entries in the series and I honestly feel this game may have the best writing. Of course this means you'll have to deal with the SOL system which is largely why most people can't get into this game.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

II is one of my all time fav games. Who didn't toss Rand up front in the party and roll, roll, roll all over the place.

I like the first game even though no one else seems to.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I like BoFIV.