Thread: I hate the drop rate...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default I hate the drop rate...

If there is one aspect of FFIV's gameplay I don't particularly like, it's the games abysmal drop rate. I'm replaying the game currently for my next article and I decided to try my hand at getting all of the game's rare gear/summons. I just finally got the Cockatrice summon but I still haven't obtained the Goblin one yet which is surprising because usually I have the opposite problem. I'm not even going to bother getting the Lilith Rod or Curse Ring until after the Tower of Zot and I am already dreading trying to get the Mindflayer summons as the last time I went after it in the DS version, I got Cecil and Co. to Lv. 70 before it dropped. Seriously, there needs to be a better way...

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've gotten the Lillith Rod once. It's a great weapon, but I don't think I'd grind to get it, or anything else in the game.

They should also fix the random encounter rate.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Having come off of the Famicom version of FFIII, I can assure you they did fix the encounter rate.

OMG, you got the Cockatrice summon and still going after other rare summons? I don't think not so much people can be so diligent ( and crazy) like you. After 10 times of playing FF4, I've never been interested in those stuffs. Good luck with that.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I once decided to try and farm a pink tail on my SNES copy. I gave up once I was level 100.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by RebirthFlame View Post
    OMG, you got the Cockatrice summon and still going after other rare summons? I don't think not so much people can be so diligent ( and crazy) like you. After 10 times of playing FF4, I've never been interested in those stuffs. Good luck with that.
    I've obtained all the summons before in previous playthroughs. Honestly, Mindflayer is the hardest to get since he's an uncommon encounter in the Dark Elf Cave, at the least the other three are from more common enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I once decided to try and farm a pink tail on my SNES copy. I gave up once I was level 100.
    I've never obtained the Pink Tali before, after the nightmare of trying to get Mindflayer, the idea of trying to get a rare drop off a rare enemy encounter didn't seem worth it to me.

Blog Entries

It's all totally possible. I think you can get three/four summons before Cecil turns from his ways. After that you got bomb which can be done as you level up your team to 99. Note if you are going for a perfect game... you might want to max level your characters as I once did. If you got multiple party members you can level them up 1 at a time and try to get the best results. When you level up after level 65 or something, you got multiple ways to gain stats. It is possible to be level 99 and weaker then when you were level 65.

Pink tail is easy once you have those sirens. After a while though it goes to pick a bunch of battles, if you don't get those rare items and are leveling up too much reset and try again.

I had all summons, max stats for everyone, all items, and adamantine armor for all of my characters. I ended up laughing to myself as I tried for the pink tail. You can only use 1 pink tail at a time. If you have two the armor dwarf will just take them and give you 1 armor.

It was really hard to get Mindflayer due to him being rare. I tried for about a week before I got the lucky drop. No Sirens.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.