FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am at Act 3 now which I think means I'm nearing the end

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

How did you fair against the Aroshock? He is one of the tougher bosses in this game. (Number 2 you are playing right?)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep! I did pretty well, it wasn't super hard but a bit difficult. I am playing on easy though so that's probably why

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nutty makes a good question, how was the Arishok? You didn't go warrior, so that's good. Close-combat is the worst with him. believe you me. I went 2-handed the first time and that fight, even on Casual, took forever.

With a bow or staff though, you can pretty much just kite him and throw attacks at him. Using Dog helps serve as a distraction.

With Act 3, yeah you're in the last third or even quarter of the game, as it is probably the shortest act in the game. It can be made longer if you saved up the 'Legacy' and 'Mark of the Assassin' DLCs for this act. I forget if you have the DLCs or not. If you don't, I do recommend them, but if you can only afford one, definitely prioritise 'Legacy' as it'll help build a good tie-in to Inquisition when you get round to that.

How was Act 2? The story really picks up and the majority of character development happens in Act 2. Act 3 almost sort of acts as a conclusion to your companion's individual struggles. You'll notice as you go along there aren't as many side-quests than in the other two acts. Then again for that matter there aren't really that many main quests either!

Oh, tip for you: when the letter titled 'The Last Straw' is sent to you, do not mark it as read until you have finished all other business, or at least until you've finished all business in the Gallows. Heading to the Gallows when that quest has been marked as read in your letters locks you in to the end of the game, so careful with that.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Ya the Arishok as a Mage was tough. Act three like Formy said just ties up the loose ends. And follow his advise with the DLC if you can do just one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    Ya the Arishok as a Mage was tough. Act three like Formy said just ties up the loose ends. And follow his advise with the DLC if you can do just one.
    As a mage? It's probably the easiest as a Mage, though you do have less health. The Arishok has very low magic defence compared to his high armour, and is vulnerable to cold and the slowing effect of that. Like I said, warrior is probably the toughest class. His attacks really hurt and you have to draw in close to do damage yourself.
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 09-07-2016 at 11:09 PM.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Mage is definitely over powered in 2 if built correct yes. Glass Connor of sorts. I built a Force Mage who had elemental attacks. It was almost broken how easy the game gets with that combo.

I beat him with a rogue dual wielding daggers. It did indeed take forever, I had to run many figure-eights around the pillars to damage him without getting my head knocked into next tuesday...

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Arishok is such a pain ahaha, I've beaten him three times and every single time I just spend the fight screaming. Easiest is to be a mage and freeze him and fling spells at him (and then run around frantically when he's not frozen) while you have Barkspawn (the dog) nipping at his heels.

God Maker I'm ready for Pumpkin's reaction to the end of the game. I still support the mages #I'mWithHim #MageRights

edit: I have the perfect comic for this but it's a huge spoiler so I'll wait

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just beat the arishok myself with a duel welding rogue. It was pretty tough, but doable. I enjoyed dragon age 2 more than I thought I would.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I use a bow, so really what I had to do was just stand there and wait for him to swing/charge and then move back and shoot him. Took a bit of time, but it wasn't anything too bad.

I maxed out friendship with Aveline, Isabella, and Verric. Merrill is about halfway up the friend side, Anders is very close to maxed friendship, and Fenris is only slightly up the friend side. I also romanced Isabella.

I liked getting to know more about the characters in Act 2, although I felt the act as a whole was a bit less... open? Not sure why. I felt much more streamlined in to a certain direction than in Act 1. I ended up having a lot of respect for Aveline, she's my best bro now. Odd considering I was pretty meh towards her at first. I don't agree with all of her opinions but I respect her as a (fictional) person.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I hate Aveline. Wish there was a second tank choice in the game. I ran the game with no warrior just to avoid her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

WELL YOUR OPINION IS WRONG

Can't you use Fenris as your warrior?

Note: I always confuse Zevran and Fenris

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I could have but my team was.

Hawk: (Named him Hudson) was a Mage.
    Act 1 Carver sent him to the grey wardens though

Isibella as in close DPS

Merrill as my blood Mage doubled as my Tank

Verric to help draw aggression away when Merrill needed some healing.

Just used potions and micromanaged everyone's acts. I found it was harder game with a warrior on the team.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I also happen to really like Aveline, she strikes me as the moderate voice of reason between the two sides of the debate.

It would be nice if someone else could tank I guess so you don't always have to bring her along. Fenris can off-tank, but he doesn't really have the skillset to be a primary tanker.

A shame that Fenris isn't halfway up the Friend tree yet, but that's very easily done if you're not checking a guide every few seconds to check that he isn't going to disapprove.