View Poll Results: Most likely football comedy of the season prediction

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sterling plays less than 10 games for City and promptly moves to Stoke for £9m

3 20.00%
  • Benteke has a decent season for Liverpool, issues come get me plea to Real or Barca

1 6.67%
  • Rooney refuses to play until he's given a new £400,000 p/w contract

2 13.33%
  • Wenger buys 5 French 14 year olds, Arsenal fail to compete, Board refuses to do anything

1 6.67%
  • Big Andy stays crippled most of the season, appearing only for his traditional butchering of Swansea

2 13.33%
  • Chelsea player racially abuses opposition, is not charged due to being an ENGLISH LIONHEART!!

3 20.00%
  • Steve tries to convince us he's a spurs fan by predicting Tactics Tim takes Spurs back into the EDL.

1 6.67%
  • Other

2 13.33%
Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 13435357585960616263

Thread: God's Football 2015-2016 season thread

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Was reading this interesting article:

The lost art of defending: how style has replaced solidity in England’s DNA

What do you think of defenders? Is it a 'sexy' position for youngsters/fans/pundits, and has defending become less about... well, defending?
    More total football show-offs, less defending. When Rooney becomes one of the important defenders in your team, something has gone terribly wrong.

Blog Entries

Football has always been about the glamour and glory players, though. I'd say in England though the days of players like Stuart Pearce, Tony Adams and Sol Campbell are over as you're not allowed to tackle any more. Close ball skills and distribution are more valued in a modern centre half than being able to munch their striker and clear the ball up field. I'd also say it's better that way, and the FA coaching manual philosophy has for far too long been written by old men with 1970s stone-age route one hoofball aspirations. England have only just learned how to pass the ball, while the rest of Europe has been at it for decades now.

I mean reading that article sums it up. I don't know who the guy is but he's got it totally arse backwards. "The mentality has changed. Technical possession is the focus." "“There is a more technical emphasis. Defenders are expected to come out with the ball, to ask themselves: ‘What can I do with the ball?’". Then what exactly is this 'youth coach' teaching kids to do? It's not 1996 any more.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    England have only just learned how to pass the ball, while the rest of Europe has been at it for decades now.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

That's Paul Scholes in a Manchester United shirt. The England version wasn't very good. Not that he was alone in this, mind you. Indeed, the only footballers in history to be better for England than for their clubs are Peter Crouch, Darius Vassell and Andros Townsend. Danny Welbeck is in with a shout too.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    That's Paul Scholes in a Manchester United shirt. The England version wasn't very good. Not that he was alone in this, mind you. Indeed, the only footballers in history to be better for England than for their clubs are Peter Crouch, Darius Vassell and Andros Townsend. Danny Welbeck is in with a shout too.
    The Whale was the best player on the pitch every time he pulled on the Three Lions, make no mistake.

Always seem to recall Owen Hargreaves being more of a tank for England than he was for his clubs as well, may be mistaken tho

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I'm sure there'll be a thread for the new season after the Euros, but the fixtures are out now. Arsenal v Liverpool on the opening weekend, oh dear...
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aww man... our last three games of the season include away trips to Arsenal and Tottenham.

Not that we'll be challenging for anything at that point.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Normally we'd start the new thread now but with Euros still on, idk, maybe wait until they're done first.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!