6 54.55%

Thread: Roles or Full Customization?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Roles or Full Customization?

When you play an RPG, which development system do you prefer: Having choices between defined roles that may offer customization within their classification, or do you prefer having an open ended customization where you can mix skills of other classes and allow everyone to do everything if you want?

Depends. A Title Like Final Fantasy Tactics where outside of some special characters there are no personalities? Full Customization.

A game like FF IV or IX? Give me the predetermined Rolls. In regards to VI I feel you had to much ability to turn any character into anything you wanted, though that takes a bit more knowledge on the game then you are likely to have if you are new to the title (Though a lot of previous RPG experience may change that), and VII and VIII just got crazy with it.

Xenosaga III still has one of my favorite set ups for giving you some customization for a character while keeping it sensible to the character itself. I would love to see that expanded upon.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I enjoy distinct classes and Rolls. I like it when I have to think, who do I need to take instead of just a team of favorites. Makes the game a little boring.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Honestly I like it when all my characters suit up as turtles.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm a fan of the everyone can learn everything, but not use it all at once approach. I like having your party divided up into different roles, but customized how you want. Having everyone be able to do everything isn't quite as much fun from a party set up point of view.

So more like FFT, where each character is a blank slate, but in battle they are each a specific role.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like both, and here's why:

I like characters who have very set, defined roles, like FFIX. When you can customize them, you can give them set, defined roles. Sometimes you can give them set defined roles you don't often find in games like Black Mage Archer

So I like both for essentially the same reason.

Roles all the way! Especially for party-based games.

The full/open customization should be reserved for games focused on controlling one character only (like The Witcher or Mass Effect).

That's the most reasonable option, at least to me.

Blog Entries

Roles at the start to mid game, full or atleast very wide customisation by the end. Like FFX
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Depends. I usually dislike it when every character has one particular class/job/whatever that only allows for small variations in playstyle, for example FF9. If I can select between several classes for each character, I usually like that a lot, even if they're locked to that class (or advanced versions of that class)forever, such as in FF1 or FF12IZJS. I also enjoy permanent or semi-premanent "free" character development that is not bound by limitations of specific classes.

Although I don't particularly mind it when stats are completely adjustable for the entire game, such as in FF7 and 8, I think it takes a bit of strategy away from the party building aspect. What I enjoy the most, however, is clearly defined classes that I can switch between when needed, such as the job systems in FF5, FF10-2 and FF11.

I'm fine with classes being pre-selected for each character if there are a lot of characters to choose from and/or if there are many ways to build each character within their class. Examples of this would be SD3 (in a way), Star ocean 2 and 3.

If I had to make a list, I'd say my order of preference would be something like:

Dynamic job system > permanent job system > permanent free development > dynamic free development > permanent pre-selected classes

I generally don't like it when everyone can learn everything in the end and use it at any time, such as in FF10.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

A mix of the two. GIve me characters with innate strengths, weaknesses, and abilities and let me develop them in my own way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I'm a fan of the everyone can learn everything, but not use it all at once approach. I like having your party divided up into different roles, but customized how you want. Having everyone be able to do everything isn't quite as much fun from a party set up point of view.

So more like FFT, where each character is a blank slate, but in battle they are each a specific role.
    This, very much.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I prefer the pre-defined roles. I feel it helps with the development of the character's personality. For example, Cecil being a dark knight and then a paladin was one of the core development points for his story.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post

This, very much.
    I have to say on my more serious point, that I agree with this. I like systems like FFX-2 where you can specialize characters. I'm playing FFT now for the first time and I'm enjoying how I can give everyone specific roles in combat.