Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sephex plays Five Nights at Freddy's 4

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Alright, time to take on night 4! Oh man, this game is a doozy! DO I HAVE WHAT IT TAKES?!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

What do the Freddys on the bed do? Call him to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Though I obviously haven't died because of them, I looked up what happens. If you let three (I think) gather for awhile Nightmare Freddy will pop in there and DEATH!!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Caught up - loved the cupcake!

Articles
    Blog Entries

That seems to be a big hit with this game. My girlfriend, who follows the fanbase very closely, said that a lot of people requested a cupcake jumpscare since the plush was always in the other games as a fun little background thing. So basically Scott delivered!

As I said it was in the past couple of videos, I find it amusing (except when I am close to winning a night). Just the idea of Chica sending the cupcake to do her bidding is so damn funny!

Articles
    Blog Entries

OH MAN! THIS IS A LONG VIDEO BECAUSE OF A LONG BATTLE! BUT WHO PREVAILS AGAINST NIGHT 5?! FREDBEAR....OR MYSELF!!!

Yeah, I was kind of quiet and annoyed through most of this one, so I apologize for that.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Poor kid.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Dragon King playing Five Nights does NOT sounds like a good idea.

What is up with that high pitch noise...ah, I think that's the "flatlining" everyone is talking about.

irl mad

My opinion on the series: he should've stopped after 2. The story was told enough but had enough openings that it made it interesting. The last two have been kind of bad (lore-wise) in my opinion. Kind of feels like he's run the series into the ground story-wise. I think the designs from this game are the most legitimately scary, but I do think there was something beautiful and terrifying about the models in the original game.

RE: The coma stuff

That's pretty much the accepted theory at this point. At different times you can see an IV drip, flowers, and pills on your night table. You can also hear flatlining (the Freddy night) and everyone thinks it means you died. HOWEVER, a lot of people think that it WASN'T the Bite of '87 as it looks to take place at Fredbear's Family Diner, and not the location of the second game. Also, in one of the mini games, if you wait long enough, the TV says '83.

But of course r/FNAF is all "OH THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET" No, that'd be the original. What are your thoughts, Sephex?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the original is the best, but I like all of them to an extent. I'll break it down this way:

FNAF1:

PROS: By far the best sound design and atmosphere. Aside from the purposely cartoonish elements like the bank vault worthy panic room security doors, the sound alone makes it feel that you are watching a Chuck E. Cheese-like place during a night shift. Things properly echo, you hear attractions play random music, the animatroincs make sounds that you can tell would be perfectly normal during operational hours, but are intimidating and scary in your predicament.

CONS: On high level game play the game just relies on you doing a very specific pattern and only watching one camera feed or two in order to pass. That alone is a challenge of itself, but I kind of wish the game made you look at more camera feeds and fend off different patterns/conditions in order to make the hard stuff less repetative.

FNAF2:

PROS: Love the designs of all the animatronics, and how the withered original cast has the player believe the story moved forward until the twist is revealed that you are moving backwards. There is plenty to see and do while the gameplay turns what you were used to with FNAF1 on its head.

CONS: While there are more things to defend yourself against, the fact that you have to wind the music box makes looking at any other camera completely useless. As long as you scan the room quickly and efficiently the player can use obvious visual cues and audio cues to win. It's not easy on high level gameplay, but I almost feel Scott should have done away with cameras with this entry since the winding of the puppet was basically all you had to worry about, thus, the only camera feed that mattered as the game got harder.

FNAF3:

PROS: Took the idea of less is more, and I felt he actually did a good job on expanding the lore while wrapping things up. I also liked the hidden secrets you had to do to earn the good ending. It was like a game within a game. Balancing yourself between combating the hallucinations and Springtrap was also very fun and tense in moments where you had to reboot the system(s) and hope you could lure Spring Trap the hell away from your area.

CONS: Like FNAF1, the game ultimately relied on using a room or two through the camera feed in order to win on high level gameplay. This is the only FNAF I did 100% and it probably will only ever be the only one that I do that with. The less is more approach did work, but I felt this game leaned too heavy on expanding the lore (despite how much I liked it).

FNAF4:

PROS: Finally, EVERYTHING you know is different. The game's design is only related to the others in spirit, and I enjoyed how there is more camera movement in general. Also, I love how the game relies far more on audio. Scott's Nightmare designs could have been perceived as edgy for edginess sake, but the premise of the game made those designs make sense, especially once the player knows the story. Oh, and the jumpscare animations are the best of this one, even if one did make me laugh rather than frightened. I also like how the game relies less on speed and that there is NO resource management. Just listen, look, and take calculated risks to win!

CONS: Even before booting up the game I knew that the lore would venture back to the original restaurant. I find myself interested in the story, but again, I really thought the lore/story wrapped up nicely for the third game. It's cool to see the past more closely examined, but I really, REALLY hope Scott means it when he says enough is enough and this is the last game. From my understanding, there is DLC coming to this game, so we'll see what happens then. Also, I do feel the game gets a bit unfair at times and sound cues kind of get lost in the ambiance, so the player ends up losing because of miscommunication, not because of his or her own fault.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, I've gotta say that watching videos of the first one still legitimately scare me, but the other ones seemed like they were trying too hard. The reason I think the first one works best scare-wise, is because it's so simple. You're a night guard in a Chuck E. Cheese, there's a story about kidnapped and murdered kids, the animatronics might be possessed...or it could all just be in your head.

Pretty simple story, but with enough thought and depth that there were lots of hidden clues and weird stuff and trout. Also the fact that Golden Freddy (who looks like a dead person) force-closes your game.

EDIT: Also, the animatronics designs were really simple and true-to-life, and that's kind of what made them (in my opinion) the scariest of all.

I mean, I have to give Scott Cawthon credit for coding 4 games on his own in..what, a year? A year and a half? And he seems like a really cool dude and he does good trout. I just think that, from a lore-standard, he should've stopped after game two. Or maybe just taken it in a different direction. I really didn't like the story of this installment. I would've liked it more if you were playing as one of the children Purple Guy kidnapped and maybe you got murdered at the end or something. Dark, yes, but it would've been a great story. Also, the kid you play as becoming the puppet (based on his tears) and planning his revenge to haunt Purple Guy. It would've tied things up nicely with finding out in the last game that the puppet/crying kid chased PG into Springtrap.
    Last edited by Jinx; 07-29-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It is very impressive what Scott did by himself. The dude said he's been basically working non stop for the past year (for the record the original was released in August of 2014, so we are almost at the one year mark of the series' beginning)!

The games are not perfect, but I enjoyed them for what they were. Getting into the lore and following the various trail of breadcrumbs was as fun as playing the actual game for me.

And you nailed it on the designs. While I think the Nightmare designs are badass, especially because of the reason why they look that way, the original designs are the BEST ones simply because it has the uncanny effect to them. They look like during normal operation hours of the restaurant, you wouldn't think twice about their appearance...but put them in that late night shift? All of a sudden they look and feel as terrifying as just about any stalking trope monster!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also the fact that they just don't move, and when they do, the camera goes fuzzy. And sometimes they're staring at the camera, which is freaky as trout, because they KNOW.

I do agree that the Nightmare designs were so cool, especially Nightmare Freddy. But you definitely put your finger on it--the original are scariest because they're just normal animatronics (which ARE pretty freaky, even in the best circumstances) and there's something very sinister about that. About normal, every day objects (if you can call animantronics normal, every day objects) being the things that want to haunt you...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yep! I just loved the design and feel of the first game so much! But yes, here is proof that the normal looking ones can be eerie out of the slightest bit of context. You can hear people in the background, and this is obviously a test of some sort before they are going to be put in use for the day. It's just weird looking.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just that still made my heart beat faster.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The last one they pan to on the drum set made me crack up, though. Imagine him saying, "WHAT? NO. I'M NOT CARRYING DRUGS, MAN."