Thread: The "You're Not Alone" Scene

Default The "You're Not Alone" Scene

Many years have elapsed since I counted myself among the FFIX fans but back when I did and I had to regularly defend the game, there was one criticism I saw a lot.

"Zidane is a pretty flat character."

And if you countered with the titular scene from Terra, the critic would say:

"That scene was really out of nowhere and made no sense and was stupid."

A lot of people felt very strongly that Zidane's angst there was artificial as helland reeked of forced drama. I read that view several times on this very forum, although it was many years ago now.

What is the current opinion?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It was always my understanding that he's like brain-washed or zombiefied or something in that particular scene, which is why everyone is so adamant about telling him how loved he is. He's not just being angsty, he's being controlled by Garland to think his friends are enemies.

So no, the scene doesn't bother me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's one of my favourite scenes, actually

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The current opinion is that FFIX is one of the best games in the series and that scene is maybe the best bit of the game. Hopefully those crazy people you spoke to have learnt the error of their ways.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    It was always my understanding that he's like brain-washed or zombiefied or something in that particular scene, which is why everyone is so adamant about telling him how loved he is. He's not just being angsty, he's being controlled by Garland to think his friends are enemies.

Yeah. Right before that scene Garland says it's a shame he has to turn Zidane into a regular genome, so what that basically was was him slowly starting to lose his soul, but the interference of his friends prevented it from completing. Why Garland didn't keep him by his side when he knew Zidane came with seven other people, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 07-28-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

Yeah right before that scene Garland says it's a shame he has to turn Zidane into a regular genome, so what that basically was was him slowly starting to lose his soul, but the interference of his friends prevented it from completing. Why Garland didn't keep him by his side when he knew Zidane came with seven other people I'm not sure.
    Because he was a bad guy, and bad guys don't know about the power of heart.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

Yeah. Right before that scene Garland says it's a shame he has to turn Zidane into a regular genome, so what that basically was was him slowly starting to lose his soul, but the interference of his friends prevented it from completing. Why Garland didn't keep him by his side when he knew Zidane came with seven other people, I'm not sure.
    Yeah, it's been a few years since I played the game and go to that point, so I couldn't remember for sure. Thanks for clearing it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I hate that smurfing scene because it is only unavoidable exp in the game, making pure lvl 1 game impossible. smurf the devs.

Blog Entries

Pandemonium's "You're Not Alone" Is the most powerful Final Fantasy IX scene in my opinion. I regularly watch it on youtube for fun. It shows he lost his soul but his friends bring him back together. I don't think it was a bad scene at all.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Blog Entries

Yea I always figured it was him losing his memories and having his friends remind him so its not a scene I could imagine anyone disliking unless they werent paying attention or it was mistranslated or something. There are a few scenes I dislike in this game but this wouldnt be one of them
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!