Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Dramatic changes" to combat in FFVII Remake confirmed

Articles
    Blog Entries

The man has a remarkable talent for answering questions while in fact saying nothing at all.

Tetsuya Nomura for President.

red headed monkey dude sir helix's Avatar

im gonna go into this game cautiously

I have no problem with dramatic changes to a remake of this game, so long as they use a lot of the successful concepts and elements of the original as a strong foundation.

I see this as more of a 'retelling' of the original game but in a new game, and that is absolutely fine. I feel there's a lot that's been learned about game design since the original was released that could really bring a lot more life to the Final Fantasy franchise, because let's face it if it were just the original game being made prettier it just wouldn't be relevant in today's market.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I'm thinking it will be a retooled versions of XII's system, which is basically X-2's system with the ability to move your characters around. I am totally expecting A.I. partners in the game though.
    What are you talking about, Wolf? The battle systems of XII and X-2 are nothing alike.
    Actually the way the ATB gauge works and how abilities are utilized is exactly the same. The only differences is that XII allows you to move around the field and X-2 has dress changes and the combo system that barely worked. In both games, characters can take actions immediately with possibility of the whole party striking an enemy simultaneously and skills regain FFIV charge times with high level skills taking longer to cast while things like Attack or use of Items are almost instantaneous. The speeds are relatively the same if you pay attention. The core ATB system is the same, it's just the dressings that modify them to feel differently. Technically XIII also uses the same core ATB system with the loss of movement but added the ability to combo actions by waiting for the ATB to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    It's going to suck. Just warning you guys now. Even if we get lucky, and they keep it turn based. Just imagine how badly they are going to ruin the story. Looking forward to seeing Genesis in the Nibelheim reactor? I'm not.
    trout. I forgot about the Genesis change during the Nibelheim flashback. Repressed memory no longer.

Just imagine how badly they are going to ruin the story.
    Final Fantasy VII was my first RPG and it has a special place in my heart, but why do so many people kid themselves that it was a great story, character development and script?

Sure it had some interesting themes and some scarce moments of brilliance for its time, but overall and especially in today's market it's nothing special. The only thing that really keeps me interested in the original is nostalgia, but the fact that they are going to retell the story almost two decades later is the only thing that excites me - I would absolutely hope it's refined (whether they add, subtract or differentiate from the original it honestly doesn't matter).

As an aside: I know some might argue the Compilation has ruined the game and whilst it never really added anything spectacular, perhaps save for some parts of Crisis Core and some ideas in Before Crisis, it never really hindered anything about the original game.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Final Fantasy VII was my first RPG and it has a special place in my heart, but why do so many people kid themselves that it was a great story, character development and script?

Sure it had some interesting themes and some scarce moments of brilliance for its time, but overall and especially in today's market it's nothing special. The only thing that really keeps me interested in the original is nostalgia, but the fact that they are going to retell the story almost two decades later is the only thing that excites me - I would absolutely hope it's refined (whether they add, subtract or differentiate from the original it honestly doesn't matter).

As an aside: I know some might argue the Compilation has ruined the game and whilst it never really added anything spectacular, perhaps save for some parts of Crisis Core and some ideas in Before Crisis, it never really hindered anything about the original game.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, I guess Hamlet was a good story "for its time" as well. But that was written hundreds of years ago, it's so out of date and ridiculous these days.

I'd argue that most stories today (especially from Square) have gotten so over-complicated and focused on edgy characters that they've forgotten what makes a good story.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 08-03-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Sure it had some interesting themes and some scarce moments of brilliance
    for its time, but overall and especially in today's market it's nothing special.

Please tell me you are trolling. All of the best and most iconic JRPG stories came from the Genesis-PS2 era. Almost nothing great comes out any more. I'm fact nowadays we are in a drought.

Also, as Skyblade said. Age does not affect quality. Is Hamlet crap, just because it came out hundreds of years ago?
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    I would argue in terms of quality FF VII was behind it's time, so many better SNES era RPGs. Hell, even NES has Mother 3.

It's not a remake... I'd say it's a reboot.
    Because remake is based on the old game and it's enhanced, like HD and stuff.
    It looks like a reboot definitely to me, because they're doing a new game actually, which is based storywise on the classic VII.
    Am I right?
    Last edited by Zanmato; 08-05-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I guess Hamlet was a good story "for its time" as well. But that was written hundreds of years ago, it's so out of date and ridiculous these days.

I'd argue that most stories today (especially from Square) have gotten so over-complicated and focused on edgy characters that they've forgotten what makes a good story.
    So VII = Hamlet now? No, just no. Hamlet was written by a screenplay writer following in the footsteps of two millennia of the medium. VII was written by guys who grew up on comic books and Sci-Fi movies and largely aped what little they knew about film in haphazard fashion on a genre barely 20 years old. It's real equivalent would probably be Kevin Smith's Clerks. Considered one of his best works by many of his fans but honestly, he has written better films and his later works did many things better once he got more experience as a director and writer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the comparison was more made to say something isn't bad because it's older, than really comparing FFVII story to that of Hamlet.

That bit about them growing up on comics and Sci-Fi movies explains so much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

So VII = Hamlet now? No, just no. Hamlet was written by a screenplay writer following in the footsteps of two millennia of the medium. VII was written by guys who grew up on comic books and Sci-Fi movies and largely aped what little they knew about film in haphazard fashion on a genre barely 20 years old. It's real equivalent would probably be Kevin Smith's Clerks. Considered one of his best works by many of his fans but honestly, he has written better films and his later works did many things better once he got more experience as a director and writer.
    Oh no. FFVII is most definitely not Hamlet. Just saying that old =/= less quality.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    I would argue in terms of quality FF VII was behind it's time, so many better SNES era RPGs. Hell, even NES has Mother 3.
    Mother 3 is way better. It's on the GBA though. Mother 1 is the NES game.