Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...And now EA and UBisoft have been Usurped as worst Video Game COmpany.

Default ...And now EA and UBisoft have been Usurped as worst Video Game COmpany.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Konami is a video game company? I thought they were a slot machine company.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw this trending on Twitter earlier. That's just terrible.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The next step is for Konomi to replace all their employee's spouses/children w/ surveillance robots.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm actually considering not buying the new MGS now that this information has been brought to light. Anyone who knows me the slightest realizes how big of a deal that is.

What a s***hole company. It's one thing to change your business practices. Fine. You guys don't want to build big video games anymore. You rather do the gambling machine thingy or whatever. Great, go do that. Companies sometimes change over the year. But they way they treated Kojima was atrocious and how they are treating their current employees is borderline dystopian. This is the kind of stuff that would be in a fictional movie about an evil company.

Metaphorically speaking, I hope Konami burns to the ground in the most embarrassing way possible. I hope Kojima pisses on the ashes then makes those responsible drink the piss-ash mix, piss it out themselves, and have them drink it again. The nutjobs at the head of this company deserve the worst.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I'm actually considering not buying the new MGS now that this information has been brought to light. Anyone who knows me the slightest realizes how big of a deal that is.

What a s***hole company. It's one thing to change your business practices. Fine. You guys don't want to build big video games anymore. You rather do the gambling machine thingy or whatever. Great, go do that. Companies sometimes change over the year. But they way they treated Kojima was atrocious and how they are treating their current employees is borderline dystopian. This is the kind of stuff that would be in a fictional movie about an evil company.

Metaphorically speaking, I hope Konami burns to the ground in the most embarrassing way possible. I hope Kojima pisses on the ashes then makes those responsible drink the piss-ash mix, piss it out themselves, and have them drink it again. The nutjobs at the head of this company deserve the worst.
    Yeah, I wasn't interested since I heard about the previous demo disguised as a full game, and the utterly ridiculous costume design of Quiet, but this? This pretty much confirms I'll never buy a game from them again as long as they continue to treat their employees like trout.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Konami has invested millions of dollars in this team, entrusting them with its confidential and proprietary information. And every one of them is leaving to follow Kojima after this game ships. It's not out of the ordinary for companies to install cameras, monitor building activity, and restrict computer access in these scenarios. The rest of this just sounds farfetched, though. I don't know much about Japanese business culture or the job market but I have to imagine if they really did assign a software programmer to the cleaning crew, they would just find a new job. I have heard other stories about Konami reassigning teams and downsizing their game development, which, while disappointing, does not ring of employee mistreatment. I admit I have heard some disturbing rumors and don't have all the information so if someone else knows more, I would love to learn about it.

I've been following the situation for a while and the jury's still out on who to blame in the whole Kojima vs Konami fallout. What is clear is that Metal Gear Solid V has become one of the most expensive video games ever developed. The most recent update suggests that he's really gone off the deep end as a perfectionist, at the expense of longtime contributors to the franchise. While I want him to have the freedom to execute on his vision, I also think the money has a right to say "enough," and this whole controversy more than likely arose at that moment.

That said, I'm still going to print my "A Hideo Kojima Game" cover insert. Regardless of your take on it, the last thing anyone should do is not play The Phantom Pain. Everything suggests that this is going to be Kojima's magnum opus and Ground Zeroes showed he is still head and shoulders above anyone directing games today. At the very least, buy a used retail copy, that way Konami won't get your money and you'll save a few bucks while you're at it.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

I've read bits and pieces about Konami, but I never knew things were this bad. Sounds like a hellish place.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Konami has invested millions of dollars in this team, entrusting them with its confidential and proprietary information. And every one of them is leaving to follow Kojima after this game ships. It's not out of the ordinary for companies to install cameras, monitor building activity, and restrict computer access in these scenarios. The rest of this just sounds farfetched, though. I don't know much about Japanese business culture or the job market but I have to imagine if they really did assign a software programmer to the cleaning crew, they would just find a new job. I have heard other stories about Konami reassigning teams and downsizing their game development, which, while disappointing, does not ring of employee mistreatment. I admit I have heard some disturbing rumors and don't have all the information so if someone else knows more, I would love to learn about it.

I've been following the situation for a while and the jury's still out on who to blame in the whole Kojima vs Konami fallout. What is clear is that Metal Gear Solid V has become one of the most expensive video games ever developed. The most recent update suggests that he's really gone off the deep end as a perfectionist, at the expense of longtime contributors to the franchise. While I want him to have the freedom to execute on his vision, I also think the money has a right to say "enough," and this whole controversy more than likely arose at that moment.

That said, I'm still going to print my "A Hideo Kojima Game" cover insert. Regardless of your take on it, the last thing anyone should do is not play The Phantom Pain. Everything suggests that this is going to be Kojima's magnum opus and Ground Zeroes showed he is still head and shoulders above anyone directing games today. At the very least, buy a used retail copy, that way Konami won't get your money and you'll save a few bucks while you're at it.
    I'm not so sure. Nikkei is a VERY reputable name. They're not a gaming news outlet, they're a business news outlet. I mean, they recently purchased Financial Times. They are not a small reporting outfit, nor are they the sort who would make a statement like this without some solid evidence to back it up. They do have interviews, and I wouldn't be surprised if they have some cited documentation. Unfortunately, I can't translate Japanese to be sure.

But no one has come forward to question this article, or to claim that it has been mistranslated. It seems accurate so far.

Original Article
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I was already considering not buying it because Ground Zeroes just wasn't that exciting if you ask me, but now I definitely won't. Probably borrow it from a friend at some point if anything.

I do look forward to spending my money on whatever Kojima does next partly because he'll finally get to walk away from the series and do something else and partly because smurf Konami.

And given Konami's previous handling of the Silent Hill franchise, their complete inability to properly launch any title that wasn't named Metal Gear Solid in the last several years, the many criticisms leveled at them in the past by journalists like Jim Sterling, and their subsequent childish black listing of Jim Sterling, I have little doubt that this is all true and Konami have finally gone completely off the deep end.

Konami has invested millions of dollars in this team, entrusting them with its confidential and proprietary information. And every one of them is leaving to follow Kojima after this game ships. It's not out of the ordinary for companies to install cameras, monitor building activity, and restrict computer access in these scenarios.
    No it's not, but the extent it's being reported in that article goes far beyond the usual company paranoia into outright battrout insanity. Going to the extreme of shuffling around employees who like the status of someone leaving for a new job is just smurfed up. Especially considering they're a company that hasn't really made games outside of this team for the last few years as it is, and who I would not be surprised to never see make a game again at this point.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know one thing about Japanese business culture and that is company loyalty is a HUGE deal over there. You basically want your kid to get into a good school, so they can get into a good college, and get recruited by a good company so they are set for life. Employees do their work and are promised a steady paycheck benefits and a chance for promotion and all they need to do is work for them until retirement. Getting a job in Japan isn't as much of struggle as getting into a proper and reputable school because Japanese workers tend to stay loyal to their company once they land the job. It's one of the key reasons why journalist have been worried about the gaming industry because so many reputable designers are quitting their companies is a bit alarming because culturally, it's unheard of, unless the person royally screwed up and had to quit (Gunpei, Sakaguchi, Tanaka).

One article I read talked about how the Indie Game development scene in Japan is nothing like the West because a) they tend to be funded by established game companies who use it as a recruiting format, and b) because most up and coming Japanese designers stick to the old formula of just landing a job in an established company because starting a start-up company in Japan's almost oligarchy business world is considered throwing your future away. I feel this is part of the reason why so many former game designers tend to shift more of their focus towards the West because it is an easier market to get your foot in the door on this side of the Pacific than over there. I'm expecting Kojima will either form a company and use Kickstarter for funding like Inafune, go freelance and work for other companies as a freelance designer like Matsuno, or build his own company but ally with one of the big 3 console companies to fund their projects like Mistwalker does.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    No it's not, but the extent it's being reported in that article goes far beyond the usual company paranoia into outright battrout insanity. Going to the extreme of shuffling around employees who like the status of someone leaving for a new job is just smurfed up. Especially considering they're a company that hasn't really made games outside of this team for the last few years as it is, and who I would not be surprised to never see make a game again at this point.
    Is it? Employers use social media extensively today, it's not unexpected that they would re-evaluate an employee's role based on showing solidarity online with a former colleague. Ironic, how we showcase our personal lives online yet become indignant when others take advantage of that accessibility.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what to make of it anymore. Wolf won't come out and say it but it seems like he's suggesting a software engineer would have no qualms picking up a mop and going to town on the vinyl floors. I guess I just don't understand Japan.

Is it? Employers use social media extensively today, it's not unexpected that they would re-evaluate an employee's role based on showing solidarity online with a former colleague. Ironic, how we showcase our personal lives online yet become indignant when others take advantage of that accessibility.
    If someone ranted about the evils of the company, that might be valid (and I wouldn't Like a post like that anyway). But if a friend tells you they got a new position or are moving on, there's nothing wrong with wishing them well. Which is all a "Like" does.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what to make of it anymore. Wolf won't come out and say it but it seems like he's suggesting a software engineer would have no qualms picking up a mop and going to town on the vinyl floors. I guess I just don't understand Japan.
    It's not that they have no qualms, it's that there's not a lot else they can do. Again, company loyalty is the expected norm. If you quit, it calls your own loyalties into question, and future employers will note it. Assuming that you did something wrong and were stepping down due to a grievous error, or might leave their company should they hire you.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like skyblade said, we're talking about friends and coworkers liking a status update about a new job from someone who's mental health suffered due to his treatment by Konami. Liking that someone who wasn't doing well in their present job is moving on to a new one is not tantamount to showing solidarity against the company they work for. An employer who actually thinks that is displaying the sort of paranoia that draws their actual sanity into question.

I'm sure not even you can actually defend that sort of behaviour as being appropriate in these circumstances. We aren't talking about employees going on Facebook and saying all the jews should be lead to gas chambers, or that Konami is secretly murdering kittens every time an employee is late to work.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The first half of that list seemed reasonable though restrictive, but when it got to randomized emails that seemed excessive, and then shuffling developers around into janitorial positions for liking someone's facebook post is just plain ludicrous.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum