Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ...And now EA and UBisoft have been Usurped as worst Video Game COmpany.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm speaking generally, since the linked article doesn't go into detail. I'm guessing you guys know more about this situation than I do, it only says the employee announced their departure from Konami. Again, there's a lot of nuances I'm not really familiar with here, since Skyblade is saying Japanese software engineers don't have other options if they're told to change their career to janitor.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As Skyblade pointed out, they would have qualms about a drastic position shift like that unless it had a good reason. Say the company did poorly last quarter, so in order to cut costs, they couldn't hire the normal custodian company they use and need their employees to take shifts keeping the office cleaned. Under those circumstances, they wouldn't have a problem with it because Japan's business culture is very group centric and a problem is considered a group problem.

What might be going on here is that Konami is trying to shave off some of it's excess game development division without losing face. Japanese companies tend to have an issue of getting rid of employees because as I said, once you're in, you're kind of set for life so why leave such a job? Companies don't like firing employees unless it's absolutely necessary because it reflects bad on them as well as the employee. If a company is too liberal with firing employees, it says they are either not doing well financially and can't afford their staff or the company is not hiring the best they can. Either way, this will drive away strong candidates. Instead, companies tend to shift things within to get their employees to "resign" quietly. I mean Gunpei and Sakaguchi both royally screwed up within their companies but instead of being fired like what would happen in the West, they were instead "kicked upstairs". You're no longer the director of development in Division 4, you've been promoted to Director of Company Resources and Management which is a fancy title that means you're new job is keeping track of all the pencils within the company. At this point you have two options: You can suck it up and be the social outcast within the company but still get a steady paycheck for a tedious job no one cares about, or you resign from the company and take your chances in the tough job market with a handicap. It sucks for the employee but what can you do?

On topic, I'm with Bolivar that I will most likely check out the last MGS game. Killing it's sales by boycotting just gives Konami more reasons to see the franchise disappear along with Kojima as a good thing. If it became the most successful game of all time, then Konami will know they screwed up by letting go of Kojima.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

All I know is Kojima isn't gonna have any problems continuing in the video game business. Whatever he wants to do next will be funded at a faster rate than kickstarter servers can handle the connection requests.

If he chooses to go that route, anyway.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I'm actually considering not buying the new MGS now that this information has been brought to light. Anyone who knows me the slightest realizes how big of a deal that is.

What a s***hole company. It's one thing to change your business practices. Fine. You guys don't want to build big video games anymore. You rather do the gambling machine thingy or whatever. Great, go do that. Companies sometimes change over the year. But they way they treated Kojima was atrocious and how they are treating their current employees is borderline dystopian. This is the kind of stuff that would be in a fictional movie about an evil company.

Metaphorically speaking, I hope Konami burns to the ground in the most embarrassing way possible. I hope Kojima pisses on the ashes then makes those responsible drink the piss-ash mix, piss it out themselves, and have them drink it again. The nutjobs at the head of this company deserve the worst.
    Yeah, I wasn't interested since I heard about the previous demo disguised as a full game, and the utterly ridiculous costume design of Quiet, but this? This pretty much confirms I'll never buy a game from them again as long as they continue to treat their employees like trout.
    What's so bad about her costume design? You need maximum maneuverability in warfare and being damn near naked helps lol

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Makes sense. That's why snake's nearly naked too.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

As it happens, in Peace Walker the best uniform to set for Snake in some boss battles is indeed Naked because of the added maneuverability.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yes, that's the same as being nearly naked all the time

Heck I don't see what's so bad about Quiet. I think Snake will be getting distracted.... a lot while on mission. Shoot who wouldn't

Articles
    Blog Entries

Didn't mean to derail the thread with Quiet's trout, but Mirage pretty much summed it up. I learned my lesson in the Cindy's thread that there's no point arguing with you people when it comes to sexism in video games, so I'm not going to waste my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Didn't mean to derail the thread with Quiet's trout, but Mirage pretty much summed it up. I learned my lesson in the Cindy's thread that there's no point arguing with you people when it comes to sexism in video games, so I'm not going to waste my time.
    But what's sexist about it though? I fail to see any form of sexism in the character Quiet.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

And that comes as no surprise

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Alright guys, let's not get into this nonsense right now. Feel free to start yet another thread about that sort of thing elsewhere if you want to debate that sort of thing.