Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: The Martian

  1. #16
     Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yer pants
    Posts
    25,004
    Articles
    268
    Blog Entries
    34

    FFXIV Character

    Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

    Default

    It was really good. I was on the edge of my seat for a bit. I saw it in 3D and it was good 3D. Not gimmicky.

    I was very impressed and really enjoyed it. Damon deserves all of the Oscars.

  2. #17
    DMKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11,264

    FFXIV Character

    Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

    Default

    Good as it was, I kind of wish I'd not already seen Gravity. So many scenes would have been so much more effective on me had that movie not retroactively 1uped every scene of visual suspense in The Martian.

    Unlike Gravity, however, this movie was really good about finding a balance between comic relief and serious drama. I still think Gravity was the better film, but The Martian really outshines it in that one respect.

    Anyway yeah, it's a good movie, and, like Gravity, it'll never be as visually effective off the big screen, so it's worth your time and money to go see it.

  3. #18
    What the bliff Shiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lawlaland
    Posts
    17,341
    Blog Entries
    2
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    I have no interest in watching yet another movie where butt face Matt Damon needs to be saved.

  4. #19
    card mod ur face Rocket Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    On the Emerald Isle
    Posts
    6,382
    Articles
    1

    FFXIV Character

    Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

    Default

    I loved, and I mean LOVED watching each scene that showed the Mars landscape in the background. It was done perfectly. I was in awe of some of them. I actually preferred this (and not to compare) in some regards to Gravity/Interstellar because it's a more enjoyable popcorn film. I'd definitely recommend!

  5. #20
    Actual cannibal Pheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    'Straya
    Posts
    8,362
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I have no interest in watching yet another movie where butt face Matt Damon needs to be saved.
    There is a whopping grand total of 2 movies with the scenario you just described.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I hope it's still showing at a cinema once I get to England, cause if it is I might drag Night Fury along to see it with me.

  6. #21
    What the bliff Shiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lawlaland
    Posts
    17,341
    Blog Entries
    2
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I have no interest in watching yet another movie where butt face Matt Damon needs to be saved.
    There is a whopping grand total of 2 movies with the scenario you just described.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I hope it's still showing at a cinema once I get to England, cause if it is I might drag Night Fury along to see it with me.
    Two too many.

    Yeah I have no interest in a movie about some guy that they want to be save in space and equally terrible premise as the overhyped Saving Private Ryan was which only saving grace was Tom Hanks.

    The only good thing is this is probably at least better than that terrible movie Elysium.

    Ben Affleck and Matt Damn are terribly overhyped hacks.

  7. #22
    Actual cannibal Pheesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    'Straya
    Posts
    8,362
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I have no interest in watching yet another movie where butt face Matt Damon needs to be saved.
    There is a whopping grand total of 2 movies with the scenario you just described.

    I'm really looking forward to seeing this, I hope it's still showing at a cinema once I get to England, cause if it is I might drag Night Fury along to see it with me.
    Two too many.

    Yeah I have no interest in a movie about some guy that they want to be save in space and equally terrible premise as the overhyped Saving Private Ryan was which only saving grace was Tom Hanks.

    The only good thing is this is probably at least better than that terrible movie Elysium.

    Ben Affleck and Matt Damn are terribly overhyped hacks.
    Lol, everyone thinks something is good but I think it sucks, therefore it is overhyped. You must be one of those last sane people on earth. I think writing (while you were still in school) and acting in your own academy award nominated screenplay gets you exactly the right amount of hype.

  8. #23
    The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    How are Damon (a perfectly good actor) and Affleck (a perfectly good actor and director) overhyped? Not to mention they seem like two of the more likeable people in Hollywood.

    And not sure what Saving Private Ryan has to do with this movie, it's not Saving Private Ryan. It's a lot funnier for one.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

  9. #24
    Feel the Bern Del Murder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    40,678
    Articles
    6
    Blog Entries
    2
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

    Default

    Matt Damon is a great actor and a likable guy. Not many people you can say that about in Hollywood. Ben Affleck had his ups and downs may not have the acting chops of his friend but Argo was smurfing excellent and showed that the guy has some real talent. And I keep hearing that he steals the show in BvS.

    Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

  10. #25
    Sh♥tposter Extraordinaire Jinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21,506
    Articles
    4
    Blog Entries
    14

    FFXIV Character

    Winter Arcana (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    in BvS.
    Batman vs. Spiderman?
    mfw you post

  11. #26
    That's me! blackmage_nuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    8,501
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    I usually don't like Matt Damon's acting, something about it puts me off, when Im watching him it doesn't feel like Im watching an x, it feels like Im watching Matt Damon pretend to be an x. One time I was really surprised to see him divert off his usual style of acting and how much better it worked but then I saw the credits and it turned out I was actually watching Mark Walburg the whole time.

    He was ok in this though. Pretty solid movie.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 10-06-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

  12. #27

    Default

    I saw this today! It was everything I hoped it would be

    Love all this stuff. I especially loved it when ridiculous sounding ideas that made you go "WHAT!? THAT'S LUNACY!" actually make a lot of sense in the context of being in space/on Mars, but sound like suicide through the lens of an earthling. Also a special shout out to Harry Gregson-Williams' score, which was suitable, standard movie-fare for the most part, but then really powerful in certain spots. I love the design of the Hermes craft which features both floaty bits and walky bits (technical terms).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •