Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic Four

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Default Fantastic Four

So I know its just coming out tonight, but the verdict is already in and man it doesnt look good at all. I wasnt expecting this to be any means a great movie, but damn I didnt think it was gonna be this bad to people. Not sure when Ill go to see but for anyone who is, is it as bad as the critics are saying? I know most critics despise superhero movies but this thing is being gutted like a fish. 11% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment.

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

This is what happens when you make a movie just so you can maintain the rights to a property. I am not surprised it is getting reamed in reviews.

Oh, and here is a picture of Dr. Doom.

(SPOILER)

What?
    Last edited by Sephex; 08-07-2015 at 04:13 AM. Reason: ack. bad typos.

I was hoping that this new Fantastic Four movie would be at least as half as good 2013's The Wolverine and the theatrical version of X-Men: Days of Future Past, but clearly that was asking for too much because this movie and possibly it's sequel is going to get the Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 treatment, meaning nobody is going to appreciate them and damn near everybody is going to say that they're pieces of crap!

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just got home maybe five minutes ago from watching this movie. In my opinion those reviews are garbage. It was a good movie. I'm reading some of the reviews from Rotten Tomato right now and people seem to think this film was downright awful.

I have never been really invested in F4 as a comic reader or anything, but I think they did well with this movie. It definitely set a good base for a possible franchise. And I think that is exactly what this movie was for. It was about bringing the team together, not having them as this already witty and wonderful group.

The movie wasn't nearly as actiony as I expected, so there were lots of lulls, I guess. But I wasn't bored with it. I do think that the movie should have focused more on the building of the team and getting them to work together instead of with the government instead of bringing Doom back so soon. The plot could have been better, but it still worked.

It was a good movie. It would have been better if Fox had let the rights slip and Marvel picked it up.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'll probably end up seeing it tomorrow but holy hell everything I've heard and read so far is awful.

There are all sorts of crazy rumors floating around about the director of the film (who only directed one other film, albeit a well received film, before this one). Supposedly, he was regularly hostile toward the cast and crew, did hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of damage to a set, and he would show up drunk/high or just flat out not show up half the days to direct the movie, which ended up turning the production into hell for everyone else. This is also the alleged reason that LucasFilm, who was having him direct a future Star Wars film, has fired him.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

People said the same thing about Pixels, and I ended up enjoying that movie. I'll likely end up enjoying this one as well. From what I can tell they're comparing it to Marvel movies from Marvel Studios and criticizing it for not having the comedic touches and Stan Lee cameos as the other movies, when it's not a Marvel Studios project and can do its own thing.

That being said I'm not sure if I'll get in to see it or not.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn of Sephiroth View Post
    I know most critics despise superhero movies but this thing is being gutted like a fish.
    Really? Because most of the MCU flms (plus all the X-Men films bar The Last Stand and the first two Spiderman films) have had decent reviews, it's the ones with terrible reviews that tend to stick out, like Electra, Daredevil, Catwoman etc.

And this looks awful, Michael B. Jordan and Miles Teller both deserve better. The director has claimed in a swiftly-removed tweet that his cut of the film was gutted by the studio, but who knows.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Fantastic Four films are cursed. Please stop remaking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I'm willing to bet that if Marvel Studios made a deal with 20th Century Fox to produce an MCU Fantastic Four film, you'd probably wouldn't be saying that.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_10921 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that if Marvel Studios made a deal with 20th Century Fox to produce an MCU Fantastic Four film, you'd probably wouldn't be saying that.
    But they haven't, so I can keep saying it.

But they haven't, so I can keep saying it.
    But I think they probably will, because I think now Fox realizes that they just can't please people with their Fantastic Four "films" so they to need right the ship by making a deal with Marvel Studios.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always thought FF was one of the lamer superhero groups. I like Doom though, too bad he looks like an alien in this version.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Kind of early to be calling that, Johnny_Numbers, since it released just this morning. I'd be all for Marvel reacquiring the FF and integrating them into their MCU, but there's still a chance that Fox will make enough money on this to consider it a win.

Also, you're comparing apples to theoretical oranges here. I wouldn't be so quick to hop on that Marvel D. They were behind Iron Man 3, after all.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    They were behind Iron Man 3, after all.
    Iron Man 3 was amazing.

I am still standing behind my statement that this was a good film, definitely worth watching.

If you don't agree with me then you are a doodoo head.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G13 View Post
    They were behind Iron Man 3, after all.
    Iron Man 3 was amazing.

I am still standing behind my statement that this was a good film, definitely worth watching.

If you don't agree with me then you are a doodoo head.
    >"Iron Man 3 was amazing"
    >"Fantastic Four was amazing"

You, sir, are the doodoo head!