Thread: FFXV Dev team Collaborating with Avalanche Studio to get a functional airship in XV.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default FFXV Dev team Collaborating with Avalanche Studio to get a functional airship in XV.

Tabata announced today in an interview with Famitsu
    that the FFXV development team has been talking and collaborating with Avalanche Studios (Just Cause 3) to find a way to incorporate their flying controls into FFXV so players can finally have a fully functional airship.

According to the interview, Tabata's team approached the studio about the the flying vehicle mechanics in their game at GDC this year and the two development studios found mutual interest in each others projects which began serious talks between the two.

A fully controllable airship has not appeared in a numbered FF title since Final Fantasy IX in 2000. Many fans were excited when Nomura promised he would try to implement one for Versus XIII but never followed up on it until the game changed to Final Fantasy XV of which is it was announced that such a feature would probably not make it into the game. Despite the announcement, Tabata was aware of the disappointment this announcement had on the fanbase and has been working towards finding a means to implement the feature, going so far as to say that if they could figure out a way to do it even after the game was released, they would make it available as DLC.

Final Fantasy XV is scheduled to be released sometime before 2017 and Tabata has said that more information will be made available about the game in the coming months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Honestly I'd love to see controllable airships in FF again but it just feels so strange and moot when it's in a format like XV, where the entire world is scaled realistically and not in the old school overworld map format. Combine that with the fact that you'll already have cars, chocobos, and the fast travel function, and an airship really feels like overkill.

It would be cool if there were islands and such that you could only access via airship though.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Honestly I'd love to see controllable airships in FF again but it just feels so strange and moot when it's in a format like XV, where the entire world is scaled realistically and not in the old school overworld map format. Combine that with the fact that you'll already have cars, chocobos, and the fast travel function, and an airship really feels like overkill.

It would be cool if there were islands and such that you could only access via airship though.
    You know, honestly it worked pretty well in DQVIII if you've ever played that game. Though I'm not sure if they'll do the same thing here. Still, I agree it would be awesome to get a playable airship again in a mainline title. It's been fifteen years for crying out loud.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This sounds pretty good, but it is odd that it took them this long to really work on the airship. I hope they get it for the main release. Something as game changing as a fully functional airship doesn't make sense as DLC. Also I highly doubt they will reduce the sticker price if there was no airship so you'd end up paying more overall for the game they intended to create if it was DLC.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum