Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12 reasons why FFXII HD needs to happen

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I wonder if SE held on to the original uncompressed FFXII FMV files so they could make them look half way decent for an HD re-release.

They apparently didn't with X, so they just cropped and stretched out the 480p FMVs from the PS2 disc resulting in some less than stellar visuals on many of the FMVs, which was really my only gripe with that collection (well, aside of not making the new OST optional).
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh gosh, I wish they correct the treasure chests. Seriously, the treasure chest mechanics were just brutal. Some chests had only a 1% or 5% chance of actually having the item you want.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Oh gosh, I wish they correct the treasure chests. Seriously, the treasure chest mechanics were just brutal. Some chests had only a 1% or 5% chance of actually having the item you want.
    This is even worse in IZJS, and I'm not just talking about the good old 0.01% Seitengrat secret.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    This is even worse in IZJS, and I'm not just talking about the good old 0.01% Seitengrat secret.
    I just started IZJS for the first time. I heard the stupid "don't touch random chests or else Zodiac Spear is gone forever" thing is gone though. Is that true?
    I like Kung-Fu.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

that was fixed, yes
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not actually something that needs correction - it was very much intentional. In the interview Wolf put up Ito said he was frustrated with how players would just keep reloading until the treasure chests gave them what they wanted, since it was the intention that they yield surprising results.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

To solve that, they should have randomized the treasure chest list at the beginning of an entirely new game, then the treasure chests would have stayed the same no matter how many times you reloaded.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It's not actually something that needs correction - it was very much intentional. In the interview Wolf put up Ito said he was frustrated with how players would just keep reloading until the treasure chests gave them what they wanted, since it was the intention that they yield surprising results.
    If by surprising you mean "oh, another knot of rust" or "oh, the treasure chest isn't even here", or "ah, 10 gil instead of the stupidly awesome weapon".

I understand the intention, but as someone who likes to try and complete the game and obtain everything, it is mightily annoying.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think Ito might just hate completionists
    Perhaps. Getting the Danjuro alone was enough to tear my hair out, and I got it relatively early compared to most people.

Hmmmm... I prefer the job systems over freedom of development, because I played FFX and I didn't like my characters being all the same, that was pretty boring.

Classes are the key elements of Paper RPGs (along with turn-based combat) and I love it to the death, because you can feel like a part of a real team, not a bunch of superheroes.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

White wolf paper RPGs usually do not have classes. i'm sure they're not the only ones.

that still doesn't make the characters superheroes

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But I still kinda get the point. WHen you have the potential to freely develop your characters, you might end up maxing them all anyway and they all just end up carbon copies of each other. I kinda did that in FFVI by teaching all magic to everyone (though the abilities still make them distinct).

That said, it's still entirely possible to have everyone master the Sphere Grid in X, Zanmato

Articles
    Blog Entries

I suppose one thing the IZJS might help make useful is the measures. They were beyond useless in XII, but now because not everyone can use magick, they might be of some fringe use.

Also, not everyone can equip the powerful weapons anymore, so the fairly mediocre types, like poles, maces and daggers now get some use.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I suppose one thing the IZJS might help make useful is the measures. They were beyond useless in XII,
    I believe they still are, actually. They're such a great concept, aren't they?