Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12 reasons why FFXII HD needs to happen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Breaker uses axes and hammers and such, and gets the four breaks (Wither, Expose, Addle, Shear) without requiring an esper for thembecause in IZJS there's a LOT of individual licenses blocked off by a blank space that needs to be filled in with an esper - so you have to choose between powerups for different characters sometimes.

The machinist uses guns mainly, and also measures and bombs. The Hunter uses daggers and ninja blades, and I suppose fits the 'thief' job class the best. Although since Vaan, Balthier and Fran all have the Steal license by default, that in itself is not gonna be a problem.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ah, so they still keep the defaults then? Good good. Really, if you wanted to match their job to their 'personality' so to speak, you could go with:

Vaan - Red Mage or Monk, he seems like a jack of all trades kind of guy, and can use his fists
    Penelo - White Mage or Monk, very mage orientated in the first place, and was trained in the martial arts by her brothers
    Basch - Knight or Breaker, just a very hard hitter all round
    Ashe - Time Mage or Black Mage or Red Mage, another magey type, and she was a Time Mage in Revenant Wings
    Fran - Machinist or Hunter or Archer, she maintains the Strahl and is like a huntress.
    Balhtier - Machinist or Uhlan, largely because of guns and I can see him using a spear

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

So are you forced to choose one of those new license boards or can you choose to just make everyone a blank slate like the original version?

I feel like I'd screw myself over bigtime in FFXII if I didn't pick the right roles.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

Do you realized what I went through?

I got everything in this game with no flaws. Seriously I got every weapon, armor, accessory and item. Not only that but this is probably my 2nd least favorite FF. FF2 being my least cause to get a perfect game you got like a month or more of grinding. Anyways all my friends come over and want to play this game. I quickly tell them there is no need, I got everything. So I don't really want a remake. If they did I would buy it, get everything again and hate it twice as much.

On a different scale I WOULD buy it, and I would play it senseless. The reason why it should be released or remade is it no long has use. Many gamers only have PS3 or PS4 which is hard to keep up with cause of how many consoles come and go. I would love to see more bundle packs like they did in PS1 era. Say FF1,2, and 5 on 1 disk. FF,7,8,9 on another. Release the remakes of FF3, and 4. FF10, and 12 on the last. They wouldn't even have to add stuff. Just release them for this generation of consoles.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    So are you forced to choose one of those new license boards or can you choose to just make everyone a blank slate like the original version?

I feel like I'd screw myself over bigtime in FFXII if I didn't pick the right roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    You're overthinking it. I got your twelve reasons right here:

But to clarify this, no the original license board no longer exists. You need to pick a job before you can start spending LP.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

there's nothing stopping them from adding both classic and izjs mode to the game
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Except being lazy. Considering the Job Class system was the original idea for it and the IZJS was meant to be the "complete" version of the rushed FFXII, I don't see Ito or SE wanting to spend extra time adding the old system back in, especially since the game balance was readjusted to compensate for the job system.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I think you're overstating the difficulty of adding the old system back in. It might just be a matter of copying over the settings used in the original version. The game code is likely to be nearly identical, save for some bug fixes. I doubt they've coded a game where you have to dig through tons of source code to change how high-level things work, so I'd wager that most things not related to the actual core engine of the game is likely just a series of scripts in a few files.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know man, Ito said he made this game to be the real complete version of FFXII and implemented many game fixes and gameplay changes they couldn't before and the job system does seriously change the game set-up in such a way they allegedly did go through and change the game's difficulty curve. I mean the boss rush mode alone would be painfully easier with the old License Board as opposed to the new system in place.

I'm not saying they couldn't but this is Ito and he is most likely not going to change anything except maybe a few more bugs he learned from fan feedback. I honestly don't see a reason to do this either. Ito was not happy with how the original system turned out and was received, so I really doubt he would want the original back in, especially considering all the work he put into the IZJS version with a skeleton crew.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The original game's license board complemented the open nature of the rest of the game. I can go in any direction at any time I want, both in experimenting with the license board and also in exploring the game world. Having a class system where I can't change or combine roles is unappealing on its own but in a game like FFXII, it actually sounds counter-intuitive. I respect the creative intentions of Square's designers but would rather they just include both options, like in FFX HD.

It really could not be that hard. The game balance and tweaking is literally just a different set of numerical values in a list somewhere in the code. There's no reason they can't include both and call on whichever the player prefers at the start of the game.

I would be totally okay with the idea of only IZJS system as long as you can through some item/quest etc reset the character so you can choose him new job at the cost of having to earn all the LP back again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    The original game's license board complemented the open nature of the rest of the game. I can go in any direction at any time I want, both in experimenting with the license board and also in exploring the game world. Having a class system where I can't change or combine roles is unappealing on its own but in a game like FFXII, it actually sounds counter-intuitive. I respect the creative intentions of Square's designers but would rather they just include both options, like in FFX HD.

It really could not be that hard. The game balance and tweaking is literally just a different set of numerical values in a list somewhere in the code. There's no reason they can't include both and call on whichever the player prefers at the start of the game.
    The Zodiac Job system also compliments the games themes of making tough choices and overcoming the fate one is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    I would be totally okay with the idea of only IZJS system as long as you can through some item/quest etc reset the character so you can choose him new job at the cost of having to earn all the LP back again.
    Honestly the replay value the system gives is pretty enticing that I don't see why one would worry about needing to change roles mid-playthrough. It kind of breaks from the theme Ito wanted which was accepting one's fate and making difficult choices.

**************************************************************************************************

Frankly, from interviews with Ito, I don't expect him to bother adding the old system on it because he wasn't happy with it to begin with. If they were going to bother making changes with a full team to it, he's suggested in interviews he would go farther with IZJS than what we've seen rather than retrace old steps. As I said before the International version of FFX always had the choice between the two Sphere Boards implemented from the game's inception and they didn't exactly do heavy altering of the main game to accommodate for the Advance Sphere Grid which is why it worked. IZJS is almost a different game just using the XII story and processes but it was built with the Job System in mind. If SE wasn't just going to be lazy with shipping off the visual upgrades to a third party and was actually going to bother with making adjustments, Ito has already pretty much said he would change things even further with IZJS as the base since it's technically the game XII was originally meant to be. I also doubt there are enough fans who care to use the old License Grid to create enough demand to add it back in. Just play the IZJS before deciding we need the old system in as an option. I doubt we all shelved our PS2s and copy of XII anyway and even if you did, you could probably obtain both for the price of the IZJS version.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the interview Wolf, it definitely sounds like I underestimated the work it would take to include both versions of the game. I think it would still be manageable but if SQEX does it in-house, I would prefer they take it one step further and give us something new again, maybe even to get us ready for their newest project. Honestly though, I'd rather they contract it out to an experienced HD remaster outfit, so we could get it more timely and at a much higher quality. Maybe I'm overly critical or the console versions are better but FFX shouldn't have taken as long as it did to turn out as much of a mixed bag as it was.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post

The Zodiac Job system also compliments the games themes of making tough choices and overcoming the fate one is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    Honestly the replay value the system gives is pretty enticing that I don't see why one would worry about needing to change roles mid-playthrough. It kind of breaks from the theme Ito wanted which was accepting one's fate and making difficult choices.

**************************************************************************************************

Frankly, from interviews with Ito, I don't expect him to bother adding the old system on it because he wasn't happy with it to begin with. If they were going to bother making changes with a full team to it, he's suggested in interviews he would go farther with IZJS than what we've seen rather than retrace old steps. As I said before the International version of FFX always had the choice between the two Sphere Boards implemented from the game's inception and they didn't exactly do heavy altering of the main game to accommodate for the Advance Sphere Grid which is why it worked. IZJS is almost a different game just using the XII story and processes but it was built with the Job System in mind. If SE wasn't just going to be lazy with shipping off the visual upgrades to a third party and was actually going to bother with making adjustments, Ito has already pretty much said he would change things even further with IZJS as the base since it's technically the game XII was originally meant to be. I also doubt there are enough fans who care to use the old License Grid to create enough demand to add it back in. Just play the IZJS before deciding we need the old system in as an option. I doubt we all shelved our PS2s and copy of XII anyway and even if you did, you could probably obtain both for the price of the IZJS version.
    How would they even know if there was enough demand for a single feature of the game? They wouldn't have any statistics to go by. I can't imagine them paying for a professional survey, which is what they'd need to accurately gauge such a demand.

I disagree that you underestimated the work it would take to include both versions, Bolivar. I see nothing here that would suggest that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I definitely still think it would be manageable, it's just when Wolf said they rebalanced the game, I assumed they would just need to have two lists of enemy stats and such. Turns out there was more to it than that, such as treasure chest placement and frequency.

But yeah I'm totally with you that it's doable and it makes the most sense to include both options for a complete FFXII remaster.