Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Fear the Walking Dead

Starting a new thread for this spinoff series. I saw the trailer for it and it looks great. Very cool that they are focusing (at least at first) on the outbreak which was washed over in TWD during Rick's coma. Some of the initial reactions were very interesting. Also it allows for a bigger cast and more opportunities for big zombie bloodbaths.

I'm stoked about this series because I think with a blank slate they will learn from the many mistakes made with TWD. Anyone else excited about this? Premiere is next week.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I hadn't even heard of this. Sounds interesting though. I thought the best moment in TWD was the desperate last stand and escape from Herschel's farm rather than the "here's the latest group of survivors who want to murder the trout out of Rick and the gang" flavour of the season so if this is going to be about zombies rather than "humans are the real monsters!!!!" then I'm all for it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I enjoyed it! It was definitely a slow burn. I kept thinking everyone was a zombie. Like the principal. Or well, everyone was.

I like the extra drama added in with the family, I feel like it makes me connect to the characters and this new descent into madness and crazy that will happen.

Bear McCreary isn't the composer on this one but I did like the score. It built up a lot of tension.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wasn't that impressed. The pacing was bad, so they haven't learned from that. They tried too much to make clear that this is normal every day life and no one gets what's happening. Yes, we get it. They also haven't learned from killing the black guys first. And you can't even use the 'this is the deep south and killing black people is just what they do there' excuse in this one either.

There were a couple of great scenes like with the youtube footage or the very last scene where they were all WTF at Calvin but most of the best stuff was in the trailer and honestly I didn't come away from that 90 minute episode with any more value than I got from watching the 6 minute trailer.

Also, the actor playing that kid is terrible. Why the hell is he walking like a zombie the whole time? I get that he's a junkie but I don't think junkies just walk like that all the time. I actually like the mom and step dad though. Maybe the kids will get eaten. Teenagers are such assholes.

One good thing about this prequel of sorts is that it has to progress quickly. I mean, Rick was in a coma for like a couple days? A week tops? And he wakes up to zombie armageddon. So if this starts just prior to Rick's accident then it should quickly escalate. I guess they wanted a 'real life' episode just to show everything that will be crumbling down very soon. Can't blame them too much for that.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Well, he did get hit by a car.... In the beginning, he was walking funny because he was coming down off a heroin high. From what I understand, that's kinda normal. Then after that, he had bruised ribs and stuff so I think that was why there was a limp.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Oh, that was supposed to be a limp. It looked like he was trying to walk like a zombie.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I really enjoyed the first episode and i'm glad it feels different from the mother show. I think people were cautious at first. They didn't just want to see "The Walking Dead: West Coast". It's a great idea to be able to explore the origins of the outbreak, especially in a city that has millions of people.

We get to see a world where people are just getting into this mess and they have no instruction manual. As of yet there's no one shouting "Remove the head or destroy the brain!". Unlike the experience of the first show, the audience knows more than the characters do now.

I really liked the church scenes. The tagged walls, the dark halls, the piano on the stairs, the only source of light being the yellow peering in through the windows which elucidate the dust flying around. I enjoy shots of abandoned places so the set was ideal for me.

What we've gathered so far is that the show is going to be about this broken family, and how the end of the world will bring them together. I can appreciate a story like that. If I did have one complaint though, it would be that they laid on the "you're not my dad!" a little too thick.

The exact amount of time Rick was in a coma is undetermined, but most gather it was at least a month or so, based on some things said by Morgan and Jenner at the CDC. The flowers next to his hospital bed had time to wilt, the army militarized the hospital, etc. There was a decent amount of time that went by.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was really excited for this series but it turns out Sky didn't purchase the rights to it. It's only being shown on BT here in the UK which means I can't watch it.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I also got a little chuckle when the girl texted "You better be dead!" when her boyfriend stood her up.

Be careful what you wish for.

I just hope that this new series doesn't have a character as stupid, hypocritical, and downright troutty as Lori was in the original. I can't even rewatch the first two and a half seasons anymore because of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Was really excited for this series but it turns out Sky didn't purchase the rights to it. It's only being shown on BT here in the UK which means I can't watch it.

The channel hasn't launched here yet, the show is on the 31st. If you have the BT sports package (seems like something you'd have) for Sky you get the channel.

Feel sorry for us poor Virgin Media holders we can't ever get the channel.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

The channel hasn't launched here yet, the show is on the 31st. If you have the BT sports package (seems like something you'd have) for Sky you get the channel.

Feel sorry for us poor Virgin Media holders we can't ever get the channel.
    I misunderstood the article that I read but I'm actually in the same boat as you. We have Virgin Media

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll go ahead and do the story sync for these episodes, too.

fearstorysync.com

And here is the progress we've made towards a post-apocalyptic world:

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    so if this is going to be about zombies rather than "humans are the real monsters!!!!" then I'm all for it.
    This is the biggest reason why I lost interest in The Walking Dead. I might wait to see how this show progresses with some reviews before watching it. Not sold yet.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If I were in the situation these people were, my reaction wouldn't be disbelief it would be "not the bath salts!"