View Poll Results: Permanent or Transient

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Permanent, I like feeling like my choices matter.

4 36.36%
  • Transient, I prefer being felxible.

4 36.36%
  • I don't know what the smurf you're talking about?

1 9.09%
  • Oh I! Ijust died in your arms tonight...

2 18.18%

Thread: Transient or Permanent

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eureka! Transient or Permanent

When it comes to character development systems, which do you prefer. A Transient system that can change whenever you feel like it or a permanent system where your choices can't be altered after being made without restarting the game?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I despise permanent systems. If I know I can't take back a choice that means I have to research the full implications before I make it. And then rather than just play the game for fun it becomes a research project.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Permanent. In my opinion having the ability to merely change character advancement options without penalty defeats the purpose of having options rather than a full array of abilities available.

Granted it makes sense in games like MMO's or Materia-like systems to not be permanent but having a game like Fallout where you can reorganize stats and skills and perks on the fly takes away the impact and individuality of said character.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If you want your progression to be permanent, just never change it. I see no downside to providing the option.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

So basically... Materia vs. Sphere Grid?

Yeah, I think transient is generally better. I don't mind some permanence (like choosing who to use a Guard Source on) but customisation is helpful and encourages experimentation more. It allows for people to be creative with their builds when they are stuck instead of simply grinding up more power.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have no preference. It all depends on how well it's done. Both system have their pitfalls and strong points, so whatever.

Transient systems do have the advantage of never requiring multiple playthroughs for superbosses, but if there's a good permanent system in place I don't mind replaying the game anyways, so whatever.

Definitely permanent. I like strategy and thinking things through. I also feel it gives uniqueness and character to... characters.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I despise permanent systems. If I know I can't take back a choice that means I have to research the full implications before I make it. And then rather than just play the game for fun it becomes a research project.
    This. Even if you can't change it until the endgame or it costs a lot of gold, I like at least having the option. I usually end up not changing much after all, but if I can't change it, it makes me worry that I'll do something wrong, and I end up grinding way past the necessary level just so I have some leeway in case I did.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

For all the love I have for the job system, I do prefer it when I need to make tough choices.

I think I know what sparked this idea

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    I have no preference. It all depends on how well it's done. Both system have their pitfalls and strong points, so whatever.

Transient systems do have the advantage of never requiring multiple playthroughs for superbosses, but if there's a good permanent system in place I don't mind replaying the game anyways, so whatever.
    tumblr_m3o0c827ch1qmiqzl.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

I think I know what sparked this idea