Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy VII

10 62.50%
  • Suikoden II

6 37.50%

Thread: THE ULTIMATE BATTLE 2: Final Fantasy VII vs. Suikoden II

Default THE ULTIMATE BATTLE 2: Final Fantasy VII vs. Suikoden II

I realized something recently. People won't shut up about how FFVI and CT are the best SNES JRPGs. It's not wrong to say that they are easily the general favorites for Greatest SNES JRPGs.

But when it comes to PS1, there isn't quite as much agreement. These days the ignorant hate for FFVII has mostly died down as people grew up and realized their favorite games being less popular means that they just aren't as good as FFVII was.

But who is FFVII's biggest challenger for the PS1 JRPG Crown? I could think of none other than Suikoden II, which is much like FFVI and CT in that people won't stop praisng it.

So, the choice is yours. Which is better and why?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Lets ask the like 8 million more people who bought FF7.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Lets ask the like 8 million more people who bought FF7.
    Sales is not really an acurate representation of quality though, or Twilight would be one of the best love stories.

Honestly though, this is highly subjective. They're both quality games and they both bring something different to the table. It just depends what one person prefers. I much prefer Suikoden II, personally.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

FFVII is one of the greatest RPGs of all time. SII is fun, but I wouldn't even put it in the same tier. Although it is really subjective and the Suikoden series has some die hard fans, no one can deny the influence FFVII had over the genre is without peer during that era.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I actually like both games a lot. That being said. Suikoden II all the way. It's not even close in my book. Suikoden II is one of my favorite RPGs of all time(hence my screen name).

Also, sales =/= quality. FFVII sold tons of copies, but is hated just as much as it is loved. Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, and FFVI receive nearly universal praise. CT and FFVI in particular topping most review sites' top RPG lists.

In the end they are all great games. Way better than the crap that comes out nowadays from Square/Konami. So really, we all win by playing any of the above.
    Last edited by Bright Shield; 11-20-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In terms of gameplay, I feel VII has more to offer to the average player. In terms of story and characters, I feel Suikoden II is superior. In terms of overall polish, Suikoden II also wins this one for me. About the only category VII completely outmatches Suikoden II is the soundtrack.

About the only category VII completely outmatches Suikoden II is the soundtrack.
    Them is fighting words bro.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=823C6UWOo6w

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I3xN_NrKutw

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wRAyKygtJ6E

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2EOLyn6-4
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FF7 is a spectacular game, I'm coming to the end of replaying it (Just reached the bottom of the Northern Crater) once again and it remains astonishing in just about every facet.

But Suikoden II? Suikoden II is my single favorite videogame ever. It is not good by the standards of video game stories, it is good by the standards of all stories in all media, sprawling, intimate, clever, believable, filled with emotion. In every aspect it is close to perfect. The sole shortcoming is that there is a lack of endgame bonus content.

e; also Miki Higashino is literally, without hyperbole, and without qualification, the greatest videogame music composer that exists. Wolf Canoe wrong again!

Blog Entries

VII

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

If the question was which game is more significant or influential, that would be easy. FF7 uncontestably beats almost all other JRPGs in such a poll.

But if the question is simply which is a better game, I have to go with Suikoden II. I consider disc 1 of FF7 to be one of the top JRPG experiences, but the game breaks down after that into a haphazard mess story-wise. It's still one of my favorite FFs, but I rag on it a lot because it could have been a lot better. Suikoden II on the other hand is so much more polished and cohesive, as well as with better characters and story (two of my primary concerns in an RPG).

I'd put the music more even, coming squarely between WK and MILF. I think the music overall in S2 is fantastic, but it's very difficult to beat some of FF7's top themes. S2 is one of the best games at fitting music to atmosphere (Reminiscence and Moonlit Night Theme never fail to give me feels), but FF7 has a handful of truly memorable themes that are above and beyond pretty much anything else in the genre (Aerith's theme, Cid's theme, One Winged Angel, etc.).

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sure, and I want to stress I am in no way trying to say that VII's soundtrack is anything less than incredible, but I mean... Beautiful Morning.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not saying that Suikoden II doesn't have a good soundtrack but I just feel VII has a far more memorable and put together one. I have a few tracks from Suikoden II's OST but I made it a point to own VII's whole OST. There both good, I just feel VII's is more memorable, diverse, and works well for the games mood and feeling.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I honestly still like VII, however it's not my fav PS1 JRPG. Out of the 2 choices I do like it better though, however give me IX any day!