Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex Mankind Divided Pre-Order BS

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Shameless. Pre-Order "bonuses" (cutting content that was going to be the game anyway) are bad enough at the best of times without this drivel. It amounts to "If enough of you don't buy the game we'll take things out of it that have already been made, so there!" Unless, of course, you wish to pay even more than the $60 you already gave us for it...

They best not be pulling this trout with FFXV. I appreciate it's a different arm of Square-Enix but still.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Preorder is always bulltrout.

You guys who often preorder games brought this on yourselves (too bad you dragged other people down with you).
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never pre-order games. Spares all this crap. But this does just take the biscuit. It really doesn't present a 'friendly' atmosphere towards gamers.

Preordering games is one the most ridiculous practices. All you're doing is deliberately letting them divert resources from the main game into creating hype. Because....you like being hyped. With the exception of physical mediums which might be of limited supply, that's literally all preordering ever is.

The only time I've ever done it is if I've found a game for a really cheap price for preorder and I'm 90% sure it'll be a decent game. So I've bought it in advance in case I can no longer find it for a good price on release.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Preorder is always bulltrout.

You guys who often preorder games brought this on yourselves (too bad you dragged other people down with you).
    That and the popularity of Kickstarter and the big gaming companies wanting to get in on the action.

I appreciate that this ... is crazy. But I think people are being their own sort of crazy in response to it. Perhaps I'm missing something, but games are always $60USD, and collector editions always come with bonuses. This is offering the $60USD with a few collector edition bonuses for free for showing support. Granted, it's not what was done with The Witcher, but no big company is going to do that. It costs too much money to make things for free. At least they're not pushing season pass BS like most of the other publishers. Not to mention, I've seen this sort of thing on Steam leading up to game launches multiple times. Tomb Raider springs to mind, another Square-published game. But I think it was done with one of the Assassin's Creeds, and Bioshock Infinite if memory serves me as well. And of course it was done with the previous Deus Ex game. And nobody really flipped out over it back then. Why now? Just because it's being done on console?

I mean, I get how bad pre-order culture is hurting the game's industry, and something needs to be done. But maybe I'm brainwashed. We're getting a little extra content for no extra money. And unless things have changed since last I looked, it's not even anything critical. No actual DLC Expansion. Just some outfits and music and stuff. Nothing necessary at all from what I gathered. But, again, I'm obviously missing something

I have no intention of pre-ordering regardless. I have games on the horizon I have to budget for, and I didn't enjoy Human Revolution enough to justify it. But if the developers of the games I'm planning on buying offered free stuff, I'd certainly be more likely to start putting money down early, rather than saving up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    They best not be pulling this trout with FFXV.
    I'd put my house on it.

there was a picture here

Articles

Aaaand it's cancelled: https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/649570097980379136

All's well that ends well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh, Square, you never cease to amuse me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

So in the end they have opted to give everyone the content? Bloody hell, didn't expect that as a response. Good job, gamers, and good response, SE. I never did understand why certain regions got one kind of content while others got something else. Giving everyone everything should be the standard.

I don't have a problem with pre-order bonuses, though. Stuff like bonus guns or bonus skins etc. just aren't something I care enough to purchase using DLC or through pre-order, but I appreciate the rewarding of people who are investing the full cost of the game without being able to test it out or get reviews from trusted friends. So if I get a pre-order bonus, I'm happy. If I don't think it's worth the extra cost, I wait and pay the lower cost. Pre-order bonuses is a practice I feel is perfectly fine.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

My first problem is that they're taking content out of the game that would've been in there ten years ago before pre-order culture ramped up. It's not like DLC where the artists don't have anything extra to do. This is stuff that is announced months in advance of the game's release. It's not an extra side bonus, it's base content that should be in there and it's being locked out. I don't care if it's something "trivial" like a gun or a skin. I'm being punished by having aspects of the game locked out - even if I purchase at full price on launch day, having quite reasonably waited for reviews to see whether the game is a stinker or a buggy mess - and that's not acceptable.

And what about pre-order bonuses that are carved up among different retailers? When the FFVII remake drops, you can bet there'll be something like go to Amazon for the Cloud SOLDIER skin, go to Best Buy to get the Buster Sword pack, buy at Wal Mart to get the Water Materia. If I want all of those items I have to buy three copies of the game. Or I would (I wouldn't) but two of those retailers don't even exist in my country. It's an anti-consumer mess.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with Psy on this one. When it gets to be as small as something like a skin I don't really care enough myself to be honest, but he's still pretty much right.

Articles

Yeah I'm not crying any tears over losing a skin - the issue is more that we're needlessly being restricted. Metal Gear Solid V is a great example. Throughout the previous games in the series you'd get a James Bond style tuxedo as a reward for completing the game. It was a neat little extra that made your next playthrough a bit more fun. In MGS3 it even gave you some camoflage in dark areas! It was a nice little detail and a traditional reward to look forward to. You can also get the tuxedo for MGSV... except now it's DLC and you have to pay for it. My world isn't shattered, but I've still lost an enjoyable little extra that I would've had before this culture became a thing.

I also appreciate that my example isn't perfect as it's DLC and not a pre-order bonus but I think it illustrates nicely how we're losing content.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It all comes down to how you look at it, I guess, and of course it comes down to the game as well. Think of any game out there that has DLC / pre-order bonuses. Now imagine it never had them. Nor was that content included in the game. It simply didn't exist.

Was it still worth your money? If so, DLC + pre-orders aren't bad for that game.

While pre-order bonuses and DLC may be a bit over the top in a lot of cases, that's down to the people who are actually spending money on these things. Pre-order bonuses I spend money on sometimes, but rarely. It's even rarer that I spend money on DLC. I just simply take the game for what it is. And compared to the old games I had before pre-order bonuses and DLC came into being a thing? For me, and the games I play? The games are still generally better. RPGs may be the exception, but that's nothing to do with DLC so much as overall gameplay quality just not being as high as it was in 1997.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

I don't really accept the argument about games being better than 1997 and therefore pre-order bonuses are acceptable. Firstly we're not getting any more enjoyment out of the games than we did in 1997 (perhaps less enjoyment even, given how older we all are now!) because the game was good for 1997 and the relative quality is the same. Who didn't play any of the PSOne FFs or FFX and go "omg look at dem GRAPHICS!" and be amazed at what would now be considered an utter dog turd of a spectacle? But also because many brand spanking new games of 2015 that are awesome and incredible don't have pre-order bonuses and still give you the full content!
    Think of any game out there that has DLC / pre-order bonuses. Now imagine it never had them. Nor was that content included in the game. It simply didn't exist.
    It does exist, though, and it would've done if pre-order bonuses didn't exist either. They're carving out chunks from an already complete game. You can give me a melon with a few holes you spooned out of it and I'll still enjoy the melon, but it doesn't mean the melon wouldn't have been better if you hadn't taken a ruddy great spoon to it.