Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Blog Entries

Or do the Combat Deployments with the helmet symbol to lower the number of helmets in the area. (I didnt find this out until after I finished and thought it was odd that I never saw a surveilance camera)
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

yeah, surveillance cameras seem very rare. It's too bad about the high casuality rate on those missions.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Just gotta wait till they turn around so you can shoot them in the face
    At close quarters, sure. I kind of developed a fetish for calling in air strikes on every last little thing that moved though. A more expensive habit than smoking, but it's actually beneficial to my health.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

What's close quarters?

I have more sniper rifle kills than all other weapons combined...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Another element not mentioned too often unless you watched all the Game Conference trailers is that enemies will evolve to counter your tactics. Do most of your missions at night? Suddenly they all start using Night-vision goggles. Like doing head shots with the tranq gun? They'll start wearing helmets that deflect tranq rounds and alert them. Rambo a lot? Riot Shields and full body armor with upgraded machine guns that will tear you apart. You really have to mix it up sometimes to keep the enemies on their toes or they will do it to you. Also Rocket Launcers, sniper rifles, and armored vehicles become common not too long into the game. The enemy A.I. is much smarter and work well as units, so getting spotted can mean certain death since they'll use suppressing fire to keep you pinned down so they can either send heavily armored guards to put you out of your misery or have their snipers move to a better position to pick you off. You don't have much health either, so yeah... death comes pretty quickly if you play stupid. The game's strength really isn't so much that it's a sandbox MGS game, it's the fact the enemy A.I. really does evolve with you.
    Intelligent A.I.? Oh, dear God, the machines are taking over!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I always thought the helmets were to counter headshots, not tranq gun usage. There are some soviet soldiers talking about "the headhunter", and that "we really need some helmets".

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like all the partners so far, but I kind of feel like D-Walker is the biggest novelty unit among the four. D-Horse is fast, can travel a good chunk of terrain and you can actually stealth a little better with him because enemies don't think twice about seeing a horse as they do the Walker units. D-D is all kinds of awesome and the best scouting unit of the four. Quiet is awesome for having a practical backup and is a decent scout in her own right. I haven't quite found D-Walker's niche among the three besides maybe assault, which is not a play style I use too often in these games.

Articles

D-Walker isn't really much of an assault unit either if you have vehicles, as then you can use one of those and another partner. I did find it useful a couple of times in battling the Skulls though, its gatling gun ripped right through them.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't even bring vehicles into missions. I guess I should try to use a tank once in awhile. Still trying to figure out if you can actually capture helicopters like in Peace Walker. I feel like Pequod is lonely...

Articles

I'm more of a fan of the APCs with heavy machine guns than the tank cannons myself. Either way though, it's a really different and satisfying playstyle to do every once in a while. Bonus points if your vehicle has zebra print camo and you play Ride of the Valkyries on the cassette player while you do it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Ignoring most of what has been said in this thread because I don't want spoilers and haven't touched the game yet, but I got it for free with my new graphics card. Thing is, I haven't played the previous MGS games. Well, I played one but can't remember anything about it, I was too focused on gameplay and zero on story (I was basically playing a friend's save because they wanted me to try it).

So uhm. Okay to jump straight in, or...? I've heard people saying you should play some prequel or something but honestly I have zero interest in paying money to play a prequel so I can play a game I haven't paid for. I looked for a MGS in a nutshell kind of video on YouTube but just got a whole lot of random videos that didn't serve the purpose.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Ignoring most of what has been said in this thread because I don't want spoilers and haven't touched the game yet, but I got it for free with my new graphics card. Thing is, I haven't played the previous MGS games. Well, I played one but can't remember anything about it, I was too focused on gameplay and zero on story (I was basically playing a friend's save because they wanted me to try it).

So uhm. Okay to jump straight in, or...? I've heard people saying you should play some prequel or something but honestly I have zero interest in paying money to play a prequel so I can play a game I haven't paid for. I looked for a MGS in a nutshell kind of video on YouTube but just got a whole lot of random videos that didn't serve the purpose.
    Coming from a Metal Gear fan, this game is literally made for you. It has very little to do with the other games in the series and any story stuff that is related is in optional cassette tapes you listen to in the menu.

MGSV is the best entry point you're going to get into the series (i imagine that was Konami's intention). I think they learned their lesson with MGS4 basically being impossible to understand unless you'd played every game before it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Story wise, it's not the worst entry to jump into everything and it's pretty good about filling in the pieces of what happened before, though some fan references will be lost.

Gameplay on the other hand is a bit tricky. The game itself is pretty easy to learn and fun, and I would agree it's pretty noob friendly especially coming from a series that sometimes didn't have the best control setups but as a jumping point into the series, it's a radical departure and loving MGSV's gameplay may leave you feeling a bit disappointed if you decided to check out the rest of the franchise. It's to earlier MGS games what RE4 was to it's predecessors.

I am so happy to acquire Snake Eater as a music track and it's now my Helicopter's new theme song. My favorite Easter egg so far was listening to a random radio in one of the story missions only to recognize it as a distorted version of the radio message from the P.T. Demo. So far Quiet and D.D. get the most work out of all the buddies. I almost wish Pequod counted as a Buddy as well.