Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

I'll probably get this at some point when I finally get a PS4 or decent PC. It won't be full price tho, that's for sure.

I have quickly had to ditch my 'no kills' attempts at various missions because it is just so darn tough. I can usually do the primary stuff OK but then I'll climb onto a roof to plant some C4 on a comms dish and they'll spot me there. So now I'm trying to remain stealthy... but I don't mind doing some murdering.

There was a great moment earlier when I had to neutralize a particular person who was driving from one point on the map to another point. I cut across the hills on my trusty steed just beyond an enemy guard post he was going to drive through, took out a few guys, and then I heard the car approaching in the distance. Set some C4 on the road, drop to the floor, roll out the way and detonate just as the car goes past for a perfect hit. So cool, so much fun.

Still think this game feels more like Far Cry than Metal Gear Solid... but it is quite a good Far Cry game at least.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

I paid £45 on Steam for the game. I remember back in 1996/1997 paying £44.99 for most Playstation 1 games. If you contrast that price against the rate of inflation; that price is £75. Seventy-Five Great British Pounds to play Discworld The Adventure Game!

So, to be honest, I'm probably getting a computer game cheaper when it is levied relatively against today's actual economic situation.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been playing this a bit here and there when I have free time (which is almost never, but I've had some extra free time since this came out luckily). I will say that it is extremely fun to play, but I already knew that would be the case after Ground Zeroes. I've been caught up in the side ops and just exploring the map that I just haven't really progressed the story at all. I could see myself getting bored of it all pretty soon though. The areas and soldiers have started to feel a bit too samey. I dunno. I think I'd rather have something like the old games, something cinematic with a convoluted story and lengthy cutscenes that feel like they should be a lot shorter. I just kind of like that aspect of the series. I haven't gotten to the story in this game, but I've heard that it's pretty bare bones and the focus is all on the gameplay. I don't know how much of that is just it feeling that way due to it being an open world game where you can get sidetracked for hours on end capturing goats and bears and doing nothing that has to do with the actual story though. The fact that gameplay is such a huge focus is great, but it's just not the thing I care as much about in a Metal Gear game. I think I'd rather the mechanics be somehow mixed with a more closed structure like Shadow Moses or just a generally more linear style like the older games. I dunno.

In any case, I am enjoying it immensely. It has some of my favorite gameplay in the series. It just might be the one Metal Gear game I never beat though because I'm not good at beating open world games like this and there's just nothing drawing me in to wanting to know what happens in the story. We'll see what happens though.

This probably isn't the appropriate place for this but I'll go ahead and it anyway.

I have a code for this game via GeForce (redeemable through Steam) and a complete lack of desire to redeem said code. If anyone wants to trade this code for another Steam game, I'd be willing to go through with the trade. It might not be redeemable until the 15th but I'd be willing to try anyway.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I still think I enjoy MSG3 more but so far so good with this one. The first 15-20 minutes of the game desecrates any other game I've played. Seriously very good opening. I can only think of a few other games that gave me chills with its opening and they're all in the Final Fantasy series.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    This probably isn't the appropriate place for this but I'll go ahead and it anyway.

I have a code for this game via GeForce (redeemable through Steam) and a complete lack of desire to redeem said code. If anyone wants to trade this code for another Steam game, I'd be willing to go through with the trade. It might not be redeemable until the 15th but I'd be willing to try anyway.
    Would you be amenable to trading it for nothing in return at all?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i just played thru ground zeros in an hour or two and im not sure where the controls are best for this type of game, pc or ps4? any suggestions?

There are no more heroes
    Last edited by Excel31337; 09-13-2015 at 10:23 PM.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Spoiler Free Review

Welp I finally beat the game, took me a good 2 weeks of playing it almost every day. It technically has 3 ''endings" and I can't help but wonder if any of the reviewers actually saw the last one before submitting their reviews (i doubt it) as you have to put around 50+ hours into the game.

It is an amazing game. That being said it is also surprisingly incomplete. Which sounds crazy for a game you can put 50 hours into but it's true. It just kind of cuts out storywise, I actually had to head to google afterwards and double check that was it. Almost like watching half a season of a tv show.

That being said I enjoyed the second chapter of the games story more-so then the first (which sucks because it's far shorter) It feels far more like a Metal Gear game towards the end and stuff that actually matters in the continuity of the series starts happening (the first 30 hours or so are basically a side story)

My final review would be

Music: 10/10 It's Metal Gear so the music is of course amazing, Still listening to Quiet's Theme on loop.
    Gameplay: 10/10 Goes without saying, all stealth/action games will be measured up to this from now on.
    Graphics: 10/10 The open world and attention to detail still blows me away.
    Characters 9/10 They're all great!...except Snake who they turned into a silent protagonist.
    Story 7/10 It is by no means bad, just kinda pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Which averages out to about a 9/10. I'm still craving more, but I doubt there will be any DLC with the way things are at Konami unfortunately. This game could really use it.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

TAAAAAAAAAAAAKE OOOOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It doesn't feel like a Metal Gear Solid game. They're very tight, narrative-driven experiences that felt like you were on a journey/adventure/story/mission. Solid, cohesive and with tight pacing. This isn't that, there's very little story and it all feels the same. It doesn't really feel like an experience, I guess, I can't quite describe it. That said, the gameplay is absolutely smurfing 10 out of 10 knocked it out of the park.

I was a little late to the party getting a decent smartphone. I had a company-issued/company-paid Blackberry until around the end of 2011 and couldn't justify paying a phone bill just to have a cooler phone. When the iPhone 4S came out I coerced the CTO into swapping out my Blackberry in favor of it and got my first opportunity to play some modern mobile games. One of the hot games at the time was Tiny Tower, which was the one that really hooked me. I played it for months and eventually built every floor that was available in the game at the time, including perfectly staffing each one of them with 9-proficiency dream jobbers and thematically dressing them for their role. Here is my favorite highlight from January of 2012. I played a lot of Tiny Tower; probably too much. I didn't really have anything left to do in Tiny Tower when I made the decision to delete it from my phone and never play it again. I never thought I would be required to do so in order to progress in a Metal Gear game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Been having a blast with it so far. Trying my best not to spoil the story for myself online which is a bitch... The opening was great and the main game so far has been pretty solid. It basically feels like Peace Walker and Assassin's Creed had a child. I wish there was fast travel on the base though because trying to improve everyone's morale can be a chore. As others had mentioned the plot is very sparse for a MGS game which is one of the main issues I have so far but the game itself has been a blast. I'm like 10% completion and I already feel like I've put in over twenty hours into the game. Been awhile since I played something that made me want to play it more, I mean I look forward to time off so I can play it.

Also...
    mgsv__fun_with_the_fulton_by_nazgullow-d7uh8ps.jpg

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I hear you on really wanting to play it, but lacking the time. I am still at 6% or 7% completion because I keep doing all the side stuff, and I can't play it every day or anything. AND NOW MARIO MAKER IS OUT AND I AM HAVING FUN WITH THAT TOO ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

But hey, life could be worse.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

A heavily armed man smashed into a Soviet outpost with a tank, supported by a sniper and copious airstrikes and ended up killing over twenty men. Why? Because they had a copy of The Final Countdown on cassette and he smurfing wanted it.