Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FFXV has an enormous map!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default FFXV has an enormous map!

Thanks to Mathga II and Photoshopga II magicks, the website DualShockers has figured out how big the Final Fantasy XV map actually is! (Huge. It's huge.)

In the recently released driving video, at the 19 seconds mark, you can see a map. The map indicates the length of the route mapped, which is 4,392 m. This gave them the breakthrough they needed to properly calculate the size of the known world map.

After some fancy Mathga II, Dualshockers were able to provide an accurate representation of the immense size of the Final Fantasy XV map. Now if you've played other games, such as The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt or Grand Theft Auto V, you'll know that having large maps filled to the brim with content is very popular with gamers. Dualshockers provided a size comparison map so you can truly understand how large Final Fantasy XV's map is.

So we now know why Final Fantasy XV is really taking a decade to create. If this is the full map, it is the biggest map for any single player game.

What do you think about the sheer size of the world of Final Fantasy XV? Seeing as how you'll be able to drive across this landmass, how do you feel about the addition of the car now?

I can think of one other (non-randomized) single player video game map that's larger. Daggerfall's.

Anyways, I think it's great that we're finally going back to huge maps and tons of areas to explore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE FFXIII, but the corridor does get stale after a while, and being able to go off the beaten path and find new things is always a welcome addition to the Final Fantasy games.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A large map means nothing if the areas are not diverse and full of content. If the FFXV map is as rich as some of the other games that have been mentioned, then it will be very fun to explore. However, if it is a lot of open road you just drive through then there's not much point to it.

Just going by the information shown here, it is very impressive how much bigger FFXV is compared to some other popular open world games!

Also I know the car has been shown a lot for this game, but will we get to fly through this vast world too? I recall airships being one of the last things they are trying to create and that they are not guaranteed, but I hope fast travel (Xenoblade-style free and easy travel please) or some kind of free-flying approach is available.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Yeah I agree with Del. The Duscae demo was pretty dull outside of the main story aspect of it, the side quests amounted to nothing more than your usual MMORPG fetch quests. I hope the content of the final game is a lot more varied.

I do wonder if this will be seamless too, or if there will be loading screens between regions or elongated areas of nothingness (ala Mass Effect 1 lifts) to hide loading screens.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I can't say for how much content but the small sample sized that was shown in the driving video that they got the distances from, there was a lot of vistas and locations shown.

We can only hope that the whole world has a lot of stuff. I mean, it has to for how long it's been in development.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Given the large map size, and the even larger development size, you would expect most of the world to have some interesting content. If it doesn't, people will be wondering why it took so long in the first place.

I'm cautiously hopeful, but I sadly would not be surprised if some of those wide open fields had nothing to them.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Given the large map size, and the even larger development size, you would expect most of the world to have some interesting content. If it doesn't, people will be wondering why it took so long in the first place.
    I still believe in my theory that no real work beyond concept design and early pre-production development had actually been done for this game until Tabata joined the project. Which is why it always felt like actual results showed up when he joined instead of the years of Nomura and Wada saying "We're working on it, it's coming!" with little to show except concept trailers shown only to the press behind closed doors.

The size is impressive but I'm skeptical all that land mass will be traversible, and if it is, I'm not sure how much meaningful content can be placed into it.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Xenoblade Chronicles X is bigger. Just sayin.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Okay. Okay other games have bigger maps. I should have put one of the biggest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Xenoblade Chronicles X is bigger. Just sayin.
    Really?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

actually i'm not sure

it's just a rumour
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Well, we know for a fact that Daggerfall's is bigger.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Pretty sure that if there is any element of truth to this, then it's going to suffer from Gobi Desert syndrome. Even Grand Theft Auto 5, which was a metropolis, felt that the majority of the world lacked interactivity outside of the computer generated population and automobiles.

Blog Entries

Still smaller than DayZs map which clocks in at about 5450 km˛