Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FFXV has an enormous map!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

and again, there's the question of content density.

it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

it's unproblematic to make a map that is bigger than africa, but filling it with content is a different thing all together
    http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-50;-38;3

7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post

7 cities, 3 airfields, dozens of smaller towns and villages, multiple military bases and more being added every patch with 95% or so of the buildings enter-able. Then there's the player made bases and camps spread around everywhere. it most defiantly is not a wasteland void of things to do.
    Forgive me, I have never played DayZ, but by things to do, does that mean scripted interaction, or just things to look at? Would 6 cities instead of 7 make a quantifiable difference to the game, and narrative (being a survival game, does it have one?), or is it simply a demonstration of a developers 3DS Max prowess?

I think the big worry is a lack of meaningful content, a reason for being, instead of it being simply filler substance. Real life is full mostly nothing. I'd rather my video games not be a completely accurate portrayal of what I am trying to escape from when I fire up the old gogglebox!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

Forgive me, I have never played DayZ, but by things to do, does that mean scripted interaction, or just things to look at? Would 6 cities instead of 7 make a quantifiable difference to the game, and narrative (being a survival game, does it have one?), or is it simply a demonstration of a developers 3DS Max prowess?

I think the big worry is a lack of meaningful content, a reason for being, instead of it being simply filler substance. Real life is full mostly nothing. I'd rather my video games not be a completely accurate portrayal of what I am trying to escape from when I fire up the old gogglebox!
    There is no story in DayZ. It's a completely sandbox open world multiplayer zombie survival game. DayZ is very much a portrayal of what a Zombie Apocalypse would be like in real life. You must eat, drink, survive the elements. you can break your leg and not be able to walk, you can be shot by a 12 year old that you never saw from 1000 meters away and never hear the gunshot before screen says "You Are Dead". you must repair your vehicles, keep the fueled and running ect.

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

There is no story in DayZ. It's a completely sandbox open world multiplayer zombie survival game. DayZ is very much a portrayal of what a Zombie Apocalypse would be like in real life. You must eat, drink, survive the elements. you can break your leg and not be able to walk, you can be shot by a 12 year old that you never saw from 1000 meters away and never hear the gunshot before screen says "You Are Dead". you must repair your vehicles, keep the fueled and running ect.

I'm sure this is a good game, for what it is. For me personally, I'd probably find it more interesting in 200 years, if the servers lasted long enough, when there is a culture and back story from the several generations of players who have left their mark and contributed to the construction and destruction of the world!

At the moment it sounds a little bit like Second Life and PvP/E Minecraft meshed together with players told its dystopia. Now act like real dystopians! I think massive worlds can easily be constructed, with structure and architecture, even completely procedurally without human input. In a game like Final Fantasy, it needs to be a little more relevant. Let's hope they pull it off.

Blog Entries

I'm sure this is a good game, for what it is. For me personally, I'd probably find it more interesting in 200 years, if the servers lasted long enough, when there is a culture and back story from the several generations of players who have left their mark and contributed to the construction and destruction of the world!

At the moment it sounds a little bit like Second Life and PvP/E Minecraft meshed together with players told its dystopia. Now act like real dystopians! I think massive worlds can easily be constructed, with structure and architecture, even completely procedurally without human input. In a game like Final Fantasy, it needs to be a little more relevant. Let's hope they pull it off.
    I agree, that a normal RPG needs to be built differently than somehting like this. But the vast amount of things you can build, craft and whatnot in DayZ along with the player interaction and just beautiful views and places is amazing for being in Alpha development still. The DayZ I'm talking about, (DayZ Standalone) is based off a mod (DayZ Mod) of the military simulation game ArmaII. So there's already a backstory to the fictional former soviet republic it takes place in called Chernarus. There's some REALLY in depth cool role playing servers but my one gripe with them is they mostly all have a no kill on sight rule which really takes a lot of the suspense out for me. When you're character dies, that's it they're dead you start over with a T-shirt, jeans, a rag and a flare on the beach.

I really hope with a map this large, FFXV will bring back the exploration aspect in the game. That was one thing I really enjoyed, was running around finding new places or while frustrating, just getting lost trying to get to your next objective.
    Last edited by escobert; 09-05-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I can't wait to explore this map.

Blog Entries

Is this a new world/universe or are they rehashing a previous world?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's new, but it's connected to the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

The FNC is basically just a loosely connected group of terminologies for various supernatural forces at this point. There is no direct connection between FF13, Type 0, or FF15.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

But there's like Etro and l'Cie. Although I don't think the l'Cie are called l'Cie in XV.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

as i said, lcie is just a shared terminology for someone with god-infused powers who do their work. A holy warrior if you will.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

If it truly is a great sized map with the ability to have free roam at parts I am excited. It's what has been missing since IX really.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by SapientiaXIII View Post
    I wonder how much of that is purely mountain terrain that's not traversable, though. Based on Duscae though, I'm worried most of the map will just be plain and drab, but not exactly filled with anything to do. Trudging across Duscae was already a chore on foot, so I can't even imagine what exploring a giant map like this might entail, god.

Anyone else worried about the game's performance, though? Duscae's framerate was pretty hit-or-miss, and that was just one area compared to all of this.
    I hope the devs aren't making the map enormous just 'cause they *can*.
    Map size doesn't directly affect performance. Draw distance does, however, but that can be an issue no matter how small the map is.

Free-range Human Recognized Member Lawr's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

There's plenty of games that would still make this look like a molecule!

I have a feeling a lot of it will not be explorable, or it'll be a lot of empty space/mountains. If not, then we all win but if it is, oh well. Exploration has never been the main selling point of this game and I'd hate for that to be why it's taking so long to finish.