Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the Persona Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    She'll get some healing abilities soon.

Good news is, you're almost done with Tartarus! I'm impressed you're only now getting tired of it
    Which is fulfilled aptly by Yukari, Ken and arguably Mitsuru. I'm not really seeing how Aigis is better than any other character. She plays like a physical attacker, without actually being that strong a physical attacker.

Though admittedly, I've not used Orgia mode yet on her. Maybe I should try that.

Without spoiling, every character will get an upgrade. After that happens, Aigis is both a solid attacker/tank, and is bar none the best support unit of your party. The all party stat boosts and full revive add an incredible amount of use to her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Without spoiling, every character will get an upgrade. After that happens, Aigis is both a solid attacker/tank, and is bar none the best support unit of your party. The all party stat boosts and full revive add an incredible amount of use to her.
    Fair enough! Characters tend to wax and wane in my play-through. I initially used Junpei rather exclusively due to his strong physical strength, but then Koromaru popped up and is currently stronger and has better fire skills. Mitsuru pops in and out based on the general vulnerability of enemies towards bufu on a block, as does Yukari. Ken is an odd fit, but I try to use him and Aki together if enemies are really weak towards zio; otherwise I keep them separate.

I'd say Aki is my favorite character. Since 'upgrading', the ma- versions of the attribute breaks he is now learning are very useful.

I'll see how Aigis performs in my next scale up Tartarus. Thanks guys!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I heard in the previous versions of this game, you could swap out weapons. Why did they change it so that you stuck to one weapon type?
    To conserve space. The MC actually had different ways of using some of the weapons and considering how big this game was on the PS2 and how they had to change the Social aspect of the game into a point and click adventure to fit onto the little UMD, they probably just dropped it entirely. The sword was the first weapon given to him in the original. Though to make him a little unique, they modified it so Mitsuru exclusively uses the Rapier style swords and the MC uses the other types of one-handed swords in P3P. This also means that Akihiko was the only character who can use Strike Damage without a Persona for the majority of the game.

Also, I'm really sad there wasn't a Junpei romance. I mean, on one hand, the reason is obvious, and I think it's great that him and the female character got such a deep loving relationship developed, and yet it's purely platonic, but Junpei's just this sweet cinnamon roll, too good for this world, too pure, and I would love that romance to be there
    You seem to forget that Junpei is spoken for which plays a huge role in shaping him as a character.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Both of these games bash you over the head with their themes. A bit late but yeah xD. Not that theres anything wrong with that but neither is the most subtle in terms of story telling

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Not subtle, still great.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, what JRPG is subtle? The only Japanese games I've played that have any sort of subtlety are the Silent Hill series and anything by Yasumi Matsuno.

And Persona is still much more subtle than certain other RPGs that try to tell you how deep they are.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm nearing the end! I've just hit January. That dramatic change in music across the board really does hit home how close I am now to the final day.

It reminds me very much of The World Ends With You. You go through each day, but then you suddenly realize that "oh crap, I'm in the final week of the game". It really sets the mood rather somber.

I was rather surprised that I got to choose an ending. I chose the obviously bad ending first, just to see how it would turn out. Seems fairly ominous to me, with the characters reverting to how they were, somewhat. I reloaded my save and I'm now ascending the final block of Tartarus.

In regards to social links, I've managed to somehow max all of them except the Empress S.Link. My favorites are Hanged Man, Chariot, Justice, Star and probably Moon/Priestess. Though to be honest, they were all good. Even if they really piled on the violins for the Sun S.Link. I find it notable that the Hermit S.Link is one of the few I can think of to have a somewhat bittersweet ending to it. The Moon and Fortune S.Link had that as well, because of obvious reasons, and to a very small extent the Hanged Man S.Link too.

But I'm nearly towards the end now. It is rather sad, to be honest. I'm torn: when I finish this game, should I go and do the Male MC, or head on straight to Persona 4 Golden?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Move onto P4, no sense in burning yourself out on P3 by playing a new game after it. On the other hand, New Game + does make it a much less tedious affair.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Go for P4, like Wolf said. You risk serious burnout. Come back to it after you beat that.

A tip: if you want to experience the story of P4 to a full extent, keep this in mind - never settle for an okay answer. Dig deep to find the real truth, even if the game itself tells you that's enough.

Also, maxing party member social links is all the more important in 4, since all those various battle bonuses you gained in 3 by leveling up Fool, here you get through individual links.

And one more thing - Golden added two new Social Links, the Jester and Aeon. If you want to experience everything the game has to offer, I advise you to max them quick. As in, max aeon, but you'll only reach level 6 of Jester for... reasons

Articles
    Blog Entries

Will do!

I've a question also. The Paradigm Door has now appeared in Tartarus. What is it, and at what level should I enter?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly have no idea, since I never tried it. I think it's just extra challenges if you're into that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I honestly have no idea, since I never tried it. I think it's just extra challenges if you're into that.
    I like me some extra challenges. I'll take a look after I've ascended all of Adamah.

And Dancing All Night comes out on Tuesday, so you'd better beat Persona 4 quickly if you want to play immediately!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.