Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Starting the Persona Series

Maybe they had planned a gay option with Yosuke before realizing that it wouldn't really work for the character?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Could be, though what puzzles me is that it's been axed late enough in development to have English voice acting. I can't find anything else about it, though

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's a shame they axed a gay option without replacing it. To be honest, I can just about see Yosuke working as one. He's not a bad guy, but he definitely reacts uncomfortably and aggressively whenever confronted by Kanji's much more liberal, relaxed nature towards his masculinity and possibly sexuality. It's always Yosuke who calls out your character or Kanji for making any sort of remark, though he sounds more concerned if the MC says anything.

I remember vividly the scene in school where Yosuke comes up with the idea to go to the beach and for everyone to get their licences, and your character is asked who you're looking forward to seeing the most (bit of an cringe question, but there you go). You can actually select Kanji, which not only invokes concerned surprise by everyone, Yosuke goes a step further and yells at you to cut that crap out (the voice acting makes it sound aggressive too). I can kinda almost buy a repressed sexuality manifesting as a masculine exterior.

Of course, that's just mere speculation. I saw this nickname that sums up his character best: Brosuke. That basically is who he his. He's a good guy who does genuinely cares for people, but cannot bring himself to accept most kinds of male femininity, and gets borderline confrontational if that somehow creeps into his best friends, particularly your MC. Yosuke is closest to the MC, the two kinda lead the team together and have known each other from the start of the game, and Yosuke's shadow is the first the MC confronts. Yosuke frequently asks your opinion on girls to you. Given his personality, I can see Yosuke get concerned if he thinks his fellow 'bro' either has a feminine side or (though you unfortunately can't explore this option) be gay.

I mean, I've not explored half of the game yet, I'm now in late August. Still another semester to go! Question, the game ended on 1/31 in P3P. When does the game end here?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

March, though the game skips quite a bit. There's a culmination in December, and then you just have more time for social links until March and the endgame rolls along. The pacing is kinda really bad in this game compared to P3

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ah I see, thanks. The pacing is only really noticeable when I rescue someone and I have to wait a week or two for them to recover (in other words, pass the already completed deadline). That just leaves me time for social links though.

To be honest, I'm really enjoying Persona 4 Golden, and I'm arguably enjoying it more than P3P. One thing I like about the game is just the amount of character interaction in this game. Everyone is so expressive.

This is the bit where I hijack the thread. Move over, Formy!

I just finished playing Persona 3 Portable for the first time, playing as the female protagonist. That ending was pretty brutal.

The characters were a definite strong point of the game, at least for the most part. Yes, there are a lot of cliches thrown in to the character mix (A robot woman who wants to be more human and ends up falling in love with a main character. Never seen that before...). But, they all grew on me as the game went on, even pervy Junpei (turns out all he needed to stop being such a massive perv is to fall in love. Wow, brilliant message there). Apart from Ken. Ken is just too creepy. NOTHING IS EVER GOING TO HAPPEN BETWEEN US YOU IRRITATING PRE-TEEN, LEAVE ME ALONE!

Good game. Some slight pacing problems, but very good. Roll on Persona 4!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Junpei is the best video game character ever And I can't elaborate on why now since I don't have all night and really, I could write an essay on that topic

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Junpei is the best video game character ever And I can't elaborate on why now since I don't have all night and really, I could write an essay on that topic
    Lies!
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Aigis is best.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The funny thing is, he didn't realize that the MC died until I told him how obvious it was that the MC died, and didn't just 'fall asleep'. He only found it brutal after he realized what happened.

Anyway, he's already playing Persona 4, and enjoying it so far.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Lies!
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Aigis is best.
    While not a bad choice, I WILL fight you on this, Sky

Sorta related - Junpei was actually my "destined partner" in Q, so...

I like Aigis the most. She's super nice and adorable.

Junpei's a real jerk unless you play as the FeMC.

(Am I still salty that I got friend-zoned by him? Yes, I am.)

Articles
    Blog Entries

In the battle of the of Magician people, I'm going to have to lean towards Brosuke. We've discussed his obvious issue with effeminacy, something which is highlighted in the Culture Festival. Having said that, I do feel like he doesn't deliberately go out of his way to be offensive, at worst, he's ignorant. I'd see him as a product of his culture. Mr. Carny was telling me about Japan's attitude and conflation of homosexuality, transvestism and trans issues, often confusing one for the other.

One story he told me when he was over there for his exchange was when a Japanese housemate discovered he was gay, and was utterly bewildered that he wasn't wearing female clothes (as if they were one and the same). I see Yosuke as the same type of deal. Means well, but really has a lack of understanding. I'd go so far to say that most of the characters share this as well. Chie and Yukiko hardly go to Kanji's defense and support his alternative approach to masculinity and are happy to keep quiet.

I deliberately went out of my way to be as inclusive as the options allowed me with my MC, deliberately choosing the affirmative options where possible, and choosing the 'comfortable with my sexuality' options during the Culture Festival, like sitting in the girls area of the group date. If I have a complaint, I wish this game gave me more option to counter Yosuke's ignorance. Times where I wanted to interject with my MC and go all inclusive I was restrained and held back.

But in regards to the story, things are really heating up. I've been busy so Mr. Carny has nearly caught up with my date in the story, but I'll still put this part in tags.

Story Stuff
    I kinda called that Nanako would be kidnapped, if only because she is the quintessential victim. She even stares at a T.V throughout much of the game. Still, that section of her kidnapping, your unfortunate arrest, all creates a perfect storm allowing her to be kidnapped, and I got them feels, because Nanako dammit. I rescued Nanako rather early, because Big Bro is worried. Her dungeon in the T.V world is pretty unsettling as well, as we learn the true extent of her grief over her mother's death. It hurts more as I finished Nanako and Dojima's S.Link before this all happened. Still, I rescued her, and caught Namatame.

I was never convinced he was the true culprit, to be honest (I hadn't even obtained my Judgement S.Link yet), and I managed to diffuse the situation. I'm on the day just before the round of investigations in town. I feel like I'll learn of the true culprit on that day. But yeah, from November till presumably the end of the original game, it is just one revelation to another. It does feel rather compact. I remember P3P spacing out the massive revelations throughout October, November and December, and even then they were one day pieces. You are more 'on rails' during some segments of the game, which is fine by me, to be honest. I enjoy watching the big event set pieces.

As for who I think the true culprit is, I've kinda always suspected Adachi. If there's one thing both P3P and P4G don't do well, is masking their true villain. Ikutski was way too creepy-friendly, and Adachi is sort of leaning the same way. That and his goofy detective act seems somewhat suspicious. I suppose I'll see tomorrow in-game, but I'm really suspecting Adachi. Mr. Carny suspected Dojima at one point so anything is possible, I guess.

As for characters, I got Naoto. She seems great, even if her Persona seems rather overpowered. She has no weaknesses. Otherwise, she seems awesome and very intelligent for a 15-16 year old, but then, she is a detective as well, so gee, we'll probably end up seeing a 15 year old quantum physicist next.

My progress with the S.Links is going very well too. I'd say my favorite one so far is arguably Marie, Nanako or Eri. Nanako is just sweetness personified.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man, don't get me started on Marie I did enjoy the "drips of her raging pathos" though

Relating to what Formy said:

(SPOILER)I cried many multiple times for the Nanako stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh man, don't get me started on Marie I did enjoy the "drips of her raging pathos" though
    Do you not like Marie? I LOVE Marie? She's a great character!