Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the Persona Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Starting the Persona Series

So having read Pumpkin's experiences with Persona 3, I found the 'social link' element to be quite interesting (I'm always a fan of rich character development and engaging story).

So I was wondering, which game should I start with? Pumpkin played Persona 3, and she seemed to enjoy it. But what about 1 and 2? Do I need to play 1 and 2 to 'get' 3, or is it one of those series where you can just jump in?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, you don't need to play 1 and 2. In fact, it's better that you start with 3, since it's the one that introduces the social link feature. P1 frankly blows, while the two P2 titles are great, but not entirely friendly to newcomers. Best check out the later titles first, then come back if you liked them.

This is one of my personal faves and you should read my entry in it in my top 25 list as well If you're playing for, go for any version that isn't the original release, since they streamline a lot. While FES is cool with it's additional features, I found the additional scenario weak. P3 Portable gives you two protagonists to choose from (the female path is awesome), you can control all party members in battle, and in general it's just much more user-friendly. But you get a kind of simplified interface because of that - it's all much more visual novely, but you can get used to it.

And be prepared to face the most tedious dungeon ever. But the writing and amazing characters more than make up for it. It's a gem that needs to be played by EVERYONE.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    This is one of my personal faves and you should read my entry in it in my top 25 list as well If you're playing for, go for any version that isn't the original release, since they streamline a lot. While FES is cool with it's additional features, I found the additional scenario weak. P3 Portable gives you two protagonists to choose from (the female path is awesome), you can control all party members in battle, and in general it's just much more user-friendly. But you get a kind of simplified interface because of that - it's all much more visual novely, but you can get used to it.
    Ah, yes. Should I do the female main character first or the male main character? How exactly do they differ?

And I'm probably going to go for Persona 3 Portable: I love visual novels, so that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It is optimal and it really makes the dungeon more forgiving.

They're both good, just you'll romance girls as a guy and guts as a girl. The girl has all the party members in her social links, while the boy only has girls and sadly, al social links with girls default to romance for him, while the girl gets friebdshio/romance routes. She's slightly better written since the team has had more experience by thatvpoint, but you won't miss out on much if you pick a boy for roleplaying purposes.

I personally really loved both routes, and find them both to be great for different reasons. The male route is, of course, the canonical one, though.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Start with 3, then move on to 4(golden), and by the time you finish both 5 may be out.
    Also, definitely go with P3P. The female lead is written so much better!
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Given what everyone is saying, I'll think I'll go for the Female Main Character first. If I end up really enjoying it, I might redo it and pick the Main Main Character next. Thanks everyone!

Before I get started, is there any obvious hints and tips that I should know about? Any pitfalls I should avoid? How should I go about the social link element?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't use any guides for the links. You won't manage to do them all normally in one playthrough, but the theme is choices anyway, so just try to advance the links at a natural pace, just maxing out the ones that you feel you like.

Also, in P3P, you can easily reach the limit of Tartarus you have in one evening, so you have more time on links.

And don't dispose of Orpheus until you get the compendium. He's the only Persona you can't fuse or receive otherwise, and he's required for some powerful fusions later in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Don't use any guides for the links. You won't manage to do them all normally in one playthrough, but the theme is choices anyway, so just try to advance the links at a natural pace, just maxing out the ones that you feel you like.

Also, in P3P, you can easily reach the limit of Tartarus you have in one evening, so you have more time on links.

And don't dispose of Orpheus until you get the compendium. He's the only Persona you can't fuse or receive otherwise, and he's required for some powerful fusions later in the game.
    Why would you want to get rid of any Personas? Is there a limit to the number you can 'carry'?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Indeed. And it's pretty low at the beginning, and then it gets increased as you progress.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

are you sure orpheus can't appear after combat?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly I much preferred Persona 4, but that's just a matter of personal taste. Pick a difficulty you're comfortable with, since I know you have a hard time with dying in games and it can get pretty challenging for newbs like us who don't know all the tricks and stuff. Work on the social links you care about.

Also yeah, I'd do the dungeon in as big of chunks as you can. Hopefully you'll enjoy it and it won't feel super tedious to you. But I get very anxious about that stuff and they tend to take days away from you with no warning sometimes, so sometimes it may seem you have more time left than you actually do. IIRC they generally give you the night before time is up, so you could wait until the end or get it over with at the beginning

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've chosen beginner, because obviously I don't want my characters to die. It isn't that I don't like death, I just can't stand the fact that the characters I've taken responsibility over have died because of me and my actions. I feel like I've failed them!

Anyway, I'm on 24/4 (I'm still getting used to the different dating system). I've just re-entered Tartarus and I have to say, it hasn't bothered me yet. The battles are all pretty fun, even if Mitsuru is like a worried mother: constantly telling me things in battle that I already know about. I like her.

In fact, I like all the characters so far, besides that mysterious boy. I'm sure he'll turn out to be important.

In terms of combat, I seem to be coping fine. The 'One More' system is pretty fun, and it really encourages you to hone in on an opponent's weak point. Tartarus is a money-maker though: I entered Tartarus again without much Yen due to me going to the movies and playing those arcade machines to raise my academics. But now I appear to earning much more due to the treasure chests. I've decided against splitting my team up though: if they end up running into any shadows by themselves they would be in trouble.

I do have a question though: I've learned I can fuse personas to create new ones. I'm still pretty early in the game and I only have three personas to my name: Orpheus (which I'm obviously keeping), Pixie, and Apsaras. In regards to Persona fusion, are there any that I should watch out for that'll give me an edge?
    Last edited by Formalhaut; 09-06-2015 at 03:00 AM.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I've chosen beginner, because obviously I don't want my characters to die. It isn't that I don't like death, I just can't stand the fact that the characters I've taken responsibility over have died because of me and my actions. I feel like I've failed them!

Anyway, I'm on 24/4 (I'm still getting used to the different dating system). I've just re-entered Tartarus and I have to say, it hasn't bothered me yet. The battles are all pretty fun, even if Mitsuru is like a worried mother: constantly telling me things in battle that I already know about. I like her.

In fact, I like all the characters so far, besides that mysterious boy. I'm sure he'll turn out to be important.

In terms of combat, I seem to be coping fine. The 'One More' system is pretty fun, and it really encourages you to hone in on an opponent's weak point. Tartarus is a money-maker though: I entered Tartarus again without much Yen due to me going to the movies and playing those arcade machines to raise my academics. But now I appear to earning much more due to the treasure chests. I've decided against splitting my team up though: if they end up running into any shadows by themselves they would be in trouble.

I do have a question though: I've learned I can fuse personas to create new ones. I'm still pretty early in the game and I only have three personas to my name: Orpheus (which I'm obviously keeping), Pixie, and Apsaras. In regards to Persona fusion, are there any that I should watch out for that'll give me an edge?
    Before you fuse it should show you projected skills. The more complex the persona, the more powerful generally. Just keep fusing to get stronger and stronger personas, and make sure you have a wide type and skill spread, and at least one persona that can heal.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen