Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718

Thread: Starting the Persona Series

Articles
    Blog Entries

As far as I'm aware, Square Enix didn't have anything to do with Persona.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Square Enix didn't have anything to do with Persona.
    Yup. It was even published in Europe by Ghostlight. I don't think it ever had anything to do with SE

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Meh. I still think the PSP version is optimal. The Answer is ridiculously overrated.
    The Answer is a nice treat, but not the reason why FES is better than P3P. For me it has more to do with the better interface and it retains some of the more interesting ideas from P3's battle system, where P3P pretty much just aped P4's system.

I don't mind visual novels, but when the only options are talk to people, and fight, I tend to get tired of the fighting. And P3 is a grind, regardless of the alternatives. But having the option to walk around and talk to people makes me feel less confined. So I guess for me it is an interface thing too. It's a small thing, but I doubt I would have enjoyed P4 half as much if I wasn't allowed to wander around and do my own thing

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It also helps that the original maintains the Fusion Spells for the hero giving him another angle for customization, the original also didn't have the "rescue people in Tartarus" side missions which seemed like a cool idea at first but forced you to deal with something most people hated anyway which was running through Tartarus. I also understand that P3's version of the battle system is a required taste but I honestly liked the artistic integrity of it as opposed to the functionality of P4's system. Course I'm the minority on that front.

About the only two elements I really love about P3P was the Female Scenario and the Skill Card system.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

So I failed miserably at my first attempt fighting Shadow Kanji in Persona 4 Golden. Damn you and your lighting weakness, Yosuke! So I tried the battle again when I died with just Chie and Yukiko on my team and JUST managed to scrape victory with them both dead and my main on 20 HP.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Shadow Kanji is one of the tougher bosses in the game. Having Yosuke pretty much constantly defending is good, with Yukiko on almost constant support. The key is getting rid of the two sidekicks as fast as you can, honestly.

Articles

FFXIV Character

I removed Yosuke from the team completely, so I had my main at level 20 and Chie and Yukiko at level 19. I think I was a bit under levelled, so I'll put in some more training before the next rescue mission.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Articles
    Blog Entries

Removing Yosuke wasn't a bad plan. I tend to keep him around, if only because if Yukiko can't keep on healing and your main character is hurting, Yosuke can pitch in with an item. Otherwise, yeah levelling is always a decent plan. And like always, have a good Persona repertoire for your main character is very useful. Thankfully, after getting Kanji you can swap someone out if they are weak to a boss or mini-boss, meaning you won't have to carry burdens.

Actually about Kanji - he's a strong physical attacker, much like Chie. You can have both of them in your party, but it is generally a good idea to have one or the other. With Yukiko a strong magical striker/supporter and Yosuke doing a bit of both, you have a balanced team.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Guard is your best friend for those initial battles. By guarding, characters can actually cover up their elemental weaknesses, making fighting Shadow Yukiko easier if you have Chie guard often, for example.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Oh that will be handy being able to swap people out. I stopped playing last night once I saved Kanji so I haven't had a chance to use him yet, so I've got to wait for him to recover. I'll play some more tonight.

Blog Entries

Will i ever pick up this game again? Persona 4 i mean? I'm not sure.....i guess im a little disillusioned. I'm sure Kanno will talk me round eventually.....