Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Mass Effect 1 Class

I'm going to start ME1 soon. I've played ME2 and ME3 but never had access to the original since I was on PS3. But I got the Trilogy recently and want to check out the missing chapter.

I'm trying to figure out what class to be. I was a Sentinel in ME2 and liked the biotic powers so much that I went with Adept in ME3 and really enjoyed blowing things up. Vanguard is the only biotic class left to try but I hear it is not as good as it is in 2 and 3. I could also go with a tech class like Infiltrator but I also heard sniper weapons are not that good in ME1.

Any suggestions?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tech classes are a decent choice since the Tech skills are good and you can finally have some party variety since you won't need to keep Tali or Garrus in your party to open locks.

I actually went boring with Commando and kind of regretted it since it made it nearly impossible to use Ashley and Wrex since their builds are too similar and having a balanced party is much more important in this game than in the sequels. I say go with a heavy Tech class or Adept since Liara is kind of... stalkerish.

Avoid Sentinels, they kind of blow in this game because they truly embody the Master of None trope. They are only really good with pistols and they get a poor mix of Biotic and Tech abilities that can be better utilized by other more specialized party members. I have never regretted my decisions concerning Kaiden.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I couldn't get into the game at all and put it down for months when I tried a Soldier. Played a new game as an Adept and enjoyed making Singularities everywhere.

Articles
    Blog Entries

On my first ME play-through, I went with the entire suit of biotic classes: Vanguard, Adept and Sentinel in game order. On my next play-through, I'll end up doing the three I missed.

Vanguard changes rather drastically between ME1 and ME2/ME3. In ME1, it played for me as an adept with less skills (but good skills) but can wield a shotgun, prompting you to be more at the front lines. In ME2 and ME3, the introduction of Biotic Charge and Nova necessitates risky, close quarters game-play. It really does play differently. I'm not a fan of risky game-play so I didn't do Vanguard again in the sequels.

The Adept plays fairly similarly. You get all the biotic skills, but you're rather frail in combat. But I enjoyed the Sentinel the most. You get Tech Armor in ME2 and ME3 which really boosts your defenses, and you get the key offensive skills from both worlds: overload and warp.

I'd say the Sentinel is the best of the three I played, but I enjoyed the Adept as well. I can't really tell you about the Soldier, Engineer and Infiltrator classes, but I'm told the sniper stuff in ME1 aren't that great. I've never really been much of a stealth player either.

I thought ME1 was a lot worse that its sequels in terms of allowing different classes to give hugely different playthroughs. One of the problems I had was that so much loot in the game, there was such a big incentive to play as Soldier class over others. And that's how I found the game most enjoyable.
    Whereas ME2 and ME3, each class worked equally but differently.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh gosh the loot is so annoying. You so easily reach the limit for useless items.

I played through the entire series as a sniper and had no problem in ME1. The only thing is, in ME1, you have to kneel down to steady your aim. And you probably also want to make sure your party is ready and able to be aggressive. Being a sniper with Tali and Liara in tow is probably not a good idea, and you may have to throw a few commands here and there to keep your tail covered, but I never regretted specializing as a sniper. I barely used any actual skills of my own in the first game. Not in combat at any rate. It became more useful and viable in the sequels in my experience though

Personally I'd go with Sentinel or Adept. I love ME1, but gameplay wise there are some advantages you can exploit with Adept or Sentinel that break the game on higher levels when you start to get shorter cool down times and can actually withstand a fair amount of damage (even on Insanity). I've played soldier class and vanguard as well and they were enjoyable too, but I've not had as much fun as I have with Adept and Sentinel on high levels.

I've never found the weapons to make a huge difference in terms of how I play the game. Shotguns require you to play at shorter range, but pistols and assault rifles were never that different IMO. So limiting yourself to a class that can't use assault rifles is pretty meaningless. As a Sentinel you can raise your electronics and decryption skills to the point where you don't need someone else with tech to be on your team which gives you a lot of flexibility in how you structure your team on missions. Then you are free to focus on maxing out biotic skills. Lift, Warp, Stasis, and Throw were always what I focused on as a Sentinel outside of Electronics and Decryption. Those biotic skills always made the game a cake walk when you get to higher levels.

Around level 20 some things happen that really turn the game into a ton of fun for Sentinel and Adepts.

(SPOILER) The moon mission gives you the opportunity to specialize your sub class, and I believe the Bastion option as a Sentinel allows you to deal damage to enemies in Stasis. So a maxed out Bastion and Stasis, along with maxed warp, lift, and throw really break the game IMO. Especially at later levels when cool down times decrease substantially

Adept is similar, you just lose the ability to have the electronics and decryption skills yourself and have to include Garrus, Tali, or Kaidan with you to gather loot. Adept also gives you singularity which is completely worth it from a crowd control/game breaking standpoint. Barrier is also a necessity to help you withstand damage. At later levels you are pretty fireproof if you spec your armor right as well. Not quite to the invincibility that comes with a Solider who has Immunity, but damn good.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Decided to go with Vanguard to round out the biotic trio. I like Tali and Garrus so I don't have a problem including one of them in the missions for the tech specialty.

So far it's hard to get used to this first game after playing through the other two where the combat seems much more polished. Also the safe cracking mini game is stupid. I've played through the other games so I already know the main plot points but I was surprised that Saren was set up as the villain so quickly, but effectively.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I usually go Adept in ME1 and Vanguard in 2 and 3. Dat Charge.
    Same concept in ME1 though, close-range biotic user

Am I the only person who played the Infiltrator and spent the entire game teaching geth why Sniper Rifles are things to be feared?

You get everything you need to be awesome. All the Tech abilities for utility, the ability to Overload shields, Pistols (and access to the Commando sub-Class, which makes pistols flat out the best DPS in the game), and best of all, SNIPER RIFLES.

I love playing as a Sniper in this game. So many times I'd be exploring a planet and I'd destroy an entire outpost before they can get within effective range to hit back.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I always go for biotic classes. Telekinesis is awesome.

Magic classes (which is what biotics are, essentially) are usually my first choice in RPGs. Magic is fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I was Soldier, I guess, or whatever it is that allowed you to use all weapons at expense of biotics etc. I found it loads of fun and often would have Wrex and Ashley alongside me, and we would destroy the enemy.

The loot system sucked. The lifts got old fast. I liked almost everything else about ME1, though.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Am I the only person who played the Infiltrator and spent the entire game teaching geth why Sniper Rifles are things to be feared?

You get everything you need to be awesome. All the Tech abilities for utility, the ability to Overload shields, Pistols (and access to the Commando sub-Class, which makes pistols flat out the best DPS in the game), and best of all, SNIPER RIFLES.

I love playing as a Sniper in this game. So many times I'd be exploring a planet and I'd destroy an entire outpost before they can get within effective range to hit back.
    Yeah that. I play infiltrator. Always.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always played as a soldier and shot trout.