View Poll Results: Have you been on a train?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 96.15%
  • No

1 3.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you been on a train?

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I've ridden a passenger train one time and the experience was so bad that I've vowed to avoid it at all costs in the future. A freight train that was running ahead of our train broke down so we were stuck on the train, not moving for about 10 hours. What should have been a 13 hour overnight trip took me 22 hours from Orlando to Raleigh. I had a sandwich, some trail mix and two bottles of water and no two books. No blankets, no music andndnd had to keep phone turned off to preserve the battery.

The worst part was that none of the train staff even volunteered information to us. Someone had to start asking questions before we were told what had happened. And they didn't even offer any of us water!

Never again. At least when you drive yourself you can react to bad situations like traffic jams and make choices about how to proceed.
    You hear about that kind of thing w/ airlines all the time. I never heard of that w/ a train. That would drive me nuts. yar

Blog Entries

I live in NYC. Ofc I've ridden a smurfing train.

I've never ridden a passenger, overnight, cross-country thing though.

Actually I lie. A childhood bestie and I once grabbed the back of a train while it was slow moving and rode it for a bit and jumped off before it started going too fast. There's a set of train tracks in the woods across from my old house.

And then when we went somewhere for a field trip we got to take a short ride, but it was only like 20 minutes or something around the mountains.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've been around England on a train and as others have said it's very nice. Always scenic and relaxing and when paired with a cup of coffee and a book it's just a great way to chill out.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What are you on about? There's tons of trains everywhere in America and of course I've been on one. Bath salts a helluva a drug.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Also, all of use brits got the smurfing hogwarts express to school every year sooooooo

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I've ridden a passenger train one time and the experience was so bad that I've vowed to avoid it at all costs in the future. A freight train that was running ahead of our train broke down so we were stuck on the train, not moving for about 10 hours. What should have been a 13 hour overnight trip took me 22 hours from Orlando to Raleigh. I had a sandwich, some trail mix and two bottles of water and no two books. No blankets, no music andndnd had to keep phone turned off to preserve the battery.
    I had that happen to me with the Greyhound once. We were stuck in a Greyhound bus depot in the middle of no where with no stores or restaurants around for 22 hours. They wouldn't tell us why until 16 hours into the wait (it was winter and our bus had went somewhere to fuel up during layover, crashed on the way there from slipping on black ice). Not to mention the number of unsavory characters that were on that same bus ride. Never, ever, ever again.

Unless I'm flying, I'll drive myself wherever I need to go, thanks.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

I commuted to work via train for two years and it was hell on earth. Noisy, dirty, perennially late trains full of screeching kids (and the occasional dog) which had a habit of breaking down around Bridgend and sitting static with no air-con for an hour. Public transport in general is a pain in the arse.

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I commuted to work via train for two years and it was hell on earth. Noisy, dirty, perennially late trains full of screeching kids (and the occasional dog) which had a habit of breaking down around Bridgend and sitting static with no air-con for an hour. Public transport in general is a pain in the arse.
    I have used trains all across the country, both national and local. As well as using the Tube in London and the Subway in NYC, and taken buses in many different countries. For the most part I have enjoyed all of my journeys and quite like public transport.

But I have never had an overall worse experience with public transport than I have with Arriva Trains Wales. The fact that I still have to use them quite regularly fills me with pain.

Blog Entries

It took me a while to remember but, yes I have. I've been on one in Chicago a couple of times. And maybe in Europe. I always live somewhat close by to a train station, I just never ride them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    Arriva Trains Wales
    Never utter that filth again

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

I took a train to NYC, it was a 15 hour ride and kind of sucked. I think I'll just fly next time....

The best train I've ever been on was the Santa train!

My family and I, along with many others would board this old steam train decorated all Christmassy. There was a brass band that walked up and down the train playing Christmas songs. Then Santa would come with a great big bag of presents and hand them out to everyone!

Then we would go to this little pub called Snowdrop or something and have a lovely meal whilst I ran about with my friends.

I can't wait til my son is old enough in a few years for me to take him there!

Other than that, England's public transport is a real pile of cr*p. They're dirty,they're never on time, the toilets rarely work and they're just pants!