Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Advice

Just started a new game. I like to grind and be kinda overpowered for the story missions, since I just love the job system so much and want more jobs available ASAP.

But here's the thing. I have an "end-job" in my head for most of my characters. So, for example, I intend for Ramza to be a Dark Knight, while one of my mooks will end up a Samurai and so on. But I'm not sure what to do then, because they'll probably max their abilities way before I finish the game, so the question is thus: is it better to then take them down a different job route for extra skills, or should I just use the skills I learned along the way and stick to the end-jobs, even after there's no more JP to gain for it?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Almost all job classes, even the physical ones, can take advantage of the Time Mage's Teleport movement ability. It is just that good. It really changes how you consider moving your units. If you don't want Teleport though, for male characters, getting Move +3 from the Bard is a good investment.

Really though, the best abilities are shirahidori and dual wield. Even my mage types are surprisingly good physical fighters because I ensure they pick up at least shirahidori for impressive physical defense.

I'm only in Chapter Three, but at least half of my team have already what I'd say 'completed' their journey and could settle into the jobs I want for them. But in random battles or when training up my lower level characters (by the time I got Ladd, Alicia, Lavian, Mustadio and Agrias I was already pretty overleveled) I switch them to other jobs that haven't been mastered yet. Just because I don't want them sitting in a mastered job not earning any real JP.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would kind of want to avoid that, though. There's helpful abilities, and then there's those that completely kill the game if you give them on everyone - teleport is one of them. That's kinda what made me dissatisfied with my last FFVI playthrough - if everyone has Quick and Ultima, you're invincible.

Thanks for the advice anyway, Formy. I'll see how it goes. I still don't have anyone specific planned (I'm just sure I need the dark knight, dancer, bard, samurai, ninja and arithmetician - only for this one, someone will learn all arithmetic a and change jobs because that speed is criminal). I've read something interesting though - apparently, what job you level up in influences your stat growth, so I think it might actually be beneficial to stick to the job once it's set with all the abilities I want.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I would kind of want to avoid that, though. There's helpful abilities, and then there's those that completely kill the game if you give them on everyone - teleport is one of them. That's kinda what made me dissatisfied with my last FFVI playthrough - if everyone has Quick and Ultima, you're invincible.

Thanks for the advice anyway, Formy. I'll see how it goes. I still don't have anyone specific planned (I'm just sure I need the dark knight, dancer, bard, samurai, ninja and arithmetician - only for this one, someone will learn all arithmetic a and change jobs because that speed is criminal). I've read something interesting though - apparently, what job you level up in influences your stat growth, so I think it might actually be beneficial to stick to the job once it's set with all the abilities I want.
    That's true: you don't want to stay in Squire or Chemist for too long if you can avoid it.

I do agree with you, they are killer abilities, I'm only using them because I'm cheap and I enjoy crushing enemies. More in general, you'd probably want a black mage with a full Arithmitick suit of spells: they are hard to use at times but really worth it. You can't go wrong with a ninja regardless. Also, try and level up a thief; you can steal some great equipment early on in key battles.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think that Arithmatick is the gold standard for abilities that make the game no fun to play any more.

I can't really think of a case where a character is best served by using only the abilities intrinsic to their class. Even if you are avoiding the most OP abilities (which does make the game a lot more interesting, as there starts to be more choice) you still need to mix and match abilities between classes to get the most out of your party. And besides, constantly changing the jobs up makes it more fun!

As for Teleport, truth be told I think Move +3 gives you more utility in most cases. While Teleport is certainly invaluable sometimes the extra move can usually allow you a round about route to overcome height differences any ways. But yeah, aside from those two there is little reason to use anything else.

Re: Stat Growth
    Yes, your stats are dependent on what classes you level up in. However all classes have equal MA growth* so you aren't going to get anything there. Typically then the most useful stats become Speed and PA, which are best served by a Ninja. Also, if one is truly dedicated to being OP they can level down in a class with terrible stat growth (Bard) and level back up in a class with excellent stat growth (Ninja) to have stats that would normally not be possible at that level.

*except Mimes, but good luck leveling up one of those.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Arithmitick is really OP but I find them hard to use, personally.