Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Default Do you own a car?

Or truck, or any other sort of vehicle? Maybe more than one? Or do you have other ways of gettin' around?

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Yes, I own a vehicle or three.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I have a car and it's paid off. Because i bought a 1500 dollar audi a4 from 1995.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

MY car (2012 chevy cruz) I am still paying off, I have about a year and a half left on it. We own two other vehicles though. One is a sports car taking up all the space in my garage and the other is a big truck that is too tall for me that the boyfriend uses as his daily driver.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah but it doesn't work

Not that I care too much because I hate driving

Blog Entries

I paid off my car last year, and I will proceed to drive it until it falls apart.

Blog Entries

Bri and I have two vehicles. I drive a 2006 Chevrolet Silvarado 1500 and she drives a 2015 Toyota Carolla LE eco.

10974655_10152964815421195_5136414617498923799_o.jpg
    11352198_1758779374349136_1593444546_n.jpg

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

my 1995 audi has better fuel economy than a 2005 ford focus. not that i'm bragging or anything

it has run nearly 300000 km, but the engine is reasonably unproblematic still

I just hope it lasts until i can afford the upcoming tesla model 3. smurf fossile fuels.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    my 1995 audi has better fuel economy than a 2005 ford focus. not that i'm bragging or anything

I just hope it lasts until i can afford the upcoming tesla model 3. smurf fossile fuels.
    Hydrogen fuel cell cars, pls. That would be great.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

im not sure yet if i have a car.. my sister wrecked it :l
    its been a couple of weeks and i still have to call the car-fixer but i keep postponing it..
    i just dont wanna know what its going to cost..

the real smurfed up part is that my sister does not have any money atm to pay me anything back. she is searching for a job (without much succes)

a year (or maybe already 2?) ago i lend her money to buy a car, and she hasnt even payed that yet..
    so now she owes me 2 cars... . .. . .. . . . ..

... i should really call to hear whats up with my car

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post

Hydrogen fuel cell cars, pls. That would be great.
    Please, no. Hydrogen fuel cells are terrible. The main source for pure hydrogen is as a by-product of the fossile fuel manufacturing processes. The other way of purifying hydrogen is electrolysis, which requires 2.5 times as much energy to be put into it than the hydrogen itself holds afterwards. This is not counting the energy required to compress the gas by an immense amount, which is required to get any sort of meaningful amount into a fuel tank. Furhtermore, this hydrogen needs to be moved around to fueling stations, which again requires energy, and lastly, hydrogen is an extremely small atom, and seeps through solid metal over time, making storage difficult, as it requires a lot of special materials to keep this at bay. In addition, the way hydrogen interacts with metals make the metals more brittle, so they break more easily.

A fuel cell car by design requires an incredibly complex drive line, as well as tons of movable parts to support the fuel cells. The fuel cells themselves also require lot more maintenance than any part of a regular electric car. Hydrogen is very inefficient to use as a energy bearer, and the gas is extremely explosive (much more so than gasoline), and will in cars be under extremely high pressure. The fewer such cars on the road, the better.

The only advantage hydrogen cells really have is faster refueling, but even that is an advantage i doubt will matter for a lot longer. This is of course assuming you can find a hydrogen station. Building additional superchargers is a much simpler process than keeping a remote station supplied with hydrogen. Meanwhile, battery capacity in electric cars increase by around 5% per year, without getting bigger or heavier. 5 years from now, a new car in the same class that the model S is in today will most likely have a 400 miles actual realistic range, with the ability to charge 300 miles in 30-45 minutes. Assuming you're a normal human being, you probably want a break after driving 300 miles in one go, so at this point, range problems are for most people no longer relevant.

To sum up:
    Hydrogen cars are less efficient (35-45% efficiency compared to 80% in a battery electric, and this is before we count the extreme energy loss in hydrogen harvesting)
    Hydrogen is either inefficient or dirty to harvest
    Performance is lower because the fuel cell has lower peak output
    Much higher motor + driveline complexity = more things that can break
    Hydrogen stations are rare and more expensive to build than superchargers
    Can't be charged at home, which is what 90% of people do 90% of the time because they use their cars to and from work every day

The main reason japan has a hardon for hydrogen cars is that they want people to use the hydrogen as an emergency power source if they lose power from things like earthquakes or tsunamis. For this, hydrogen will last much longer than a fully charged electric car, although this is possible to do with normal electric cars too without too many changes made to them. That, and that it is much easier for japan to import hydrogen than it is to import electricity. Japan actually has quite a bit of electricity supply problem, now that they've decided to shut down many of their nuclear reactors, which was their main source of power until recently.

edit: I can see that not all of the mazda cars in that link seem to be using fuel cells, so I don't know exactly how efficient they are. Regardless, it doesn't change the other disadvantages, and I doubt it's as efficient as 80% like battery electrics are.
    Last edited by Mirage; 10-13-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

My '02 Toyota Corolla is sitting pretty at about 98,000 miles. Eventually it's gonna tick over 100k but seeing as it's a Corolla I fully expect it to get to 200k with minimal problems.

I rarely drive it anywhere, just to work and back pretty much, and sometimes to the store. Everything I need is within like a three mile radius. It's pretty good.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only advantage hydrogen cells really have is faster refueling, but even that is an advantage i doubt will matter for a lot longer
    Yeah, if Graphene pans out then we can basically say goodbye to charging being a limitation for anything with a battery in it. Say hello to charging your car in five minutes or less. Not to mention that Tesla superchargers are already pretty damn fast all things considered.

And, like you, I agree that cars which can already fuel from our existing power grids just plain make more sense than cars which require entirely new infrastructure to be built. The one thing we need to stay on top of as a civilization is making sure the damn batteries get recycled properly. We're not very good at that with a lot of other devices yet.

Assuming you're a normal human being, you probably want a break after driving 300 miles in one go
    Might be assuming too much there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have an old Ford Fairmont station wagon that is running on a hope and a prayer right now. But to be fair I've never really had any major issues with it, so I'll be sad to see it go when I eventually have to upgrade.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yep. And it is over half paid off. I've already paid of and gotten rid of/blew up three cars though.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well