Thread: Is it bad that I don't want to play this game anymore cause I can't solo it?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Is it bad that I don't want to play this game anymore cause I can't solo it?

I've been enjoying FFXIV quite a bit and got to level 20, but now to continue the main story quest they're making me do dungeons, and honestly, I've done enough dungeons in other MMOs to last a lifetime. It's not even about how nice the people are, I just don't want to deal with them after, say, a long day at work. Even the nicest people ever!

This is why I still play WoW. You can get to max level without seeing another person.

And yes, I know, I'm weird because I like to play my MMOs alone. I kind of like the atmosphere, I guess. It's like going to the arcade. There's other people around but you don't have to interact if you don't want to.

Is this weird of me?

FFXIV Character

Kai Windflower (Sargatanas)

There is nothing weird about it. I admit, I'm always a little bemused, more out of curiosity, when people prefer to solo MMOs, since the story in these games are on par with third rate novels or Canadian Fantasy TV scripts, but I'm not one who should judge.

But is it weird? No. You like what you like! I imagine that if this was your first venture into the genre, then you'd be far more enthusiastic because of the novelty factor. Once everyone discovered post-2001 that people 2000 miles away from you are just as uninteresting as your next door neighbours, then the effort to socialize was greatly diminished in these games.

What was the original reason you started playing? Storyline mainly?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    What was the original reason you started playing? Storyline mainly?
    Honestly, I started playing because Mister Adequate bought the game for me and I didn't want it and the free month subscription to go to waste. Also a lot of my old WoW friends were telling me it was better than WoW.

They are right in that I find FFXIV: ARR to be a very enjoyable game, but I do prefer WoW. Partially because of its soloability, and partially because I'm a huge Warcraft lore/story nerd (even more so than FF).

Well, at least I'm not terribly weird

I can understand your frustration with needing to group up to continue the storyline.

I can relate to an extent, because I find it frustrating that you have to group up to get the best gear in the game.

However, that is to be expected from MMOs. The vast majority of people who play MMOs enjoy the multiplayer aspect of the game, and this is what the developers design to.

I will say that the majority of the story can be done solo, and even for an MMO, the story is pretty good. Of the MMOs I've played, FFXIV has the best main storyline.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

Yes Pike, it is bad and you should transfer to Sargatanas so I can tell you how bad it is.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

My sub ran out

Blog Entries

I'm not real big into playing GW2 with others. If I'm out in WvW (server vs server large scale PvP, castles hundreds of players in the battle) then I'll group up with Guildies, otherwise I'm just running around solo doing what I please, even in SPvP (small 5v5 fights). Once raids come in with the expansion I'll probably do those with Guildies but otherwise, it's just as easy and fun to be alone or wait to group up with people when only when you really need/want to. Oh and I join in the Guild missions and bounties on Saturday nights.

I thought the game was fun. But I didn't feel it was worth paying a subscription fee....not that I'm broke....but why do that when you can play Skyrim?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ixtli View Post
    I thought the game was fun. But I didn't feel it was worth paying a subscription fee....not that I'm broke....but why do that when you can play Skyrim?
    You can't play Skyrim with your friends though