Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football (Soccer) adivice

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Default Football (Soccer) adivice

So up here in Canada the game is pretty non existent. That being said I am looking to jump in and pick a team to follow as a die hard fan. However like I said the game is non existent here which makes it tough. At first I thought about supporting a MLS team, but that's like being a die hard fan if a minor league team. What's the point of that. So off to England I look to puck a team until the end. My roommate Keegan supports Liverpool and when I ask him about anything all he says is LIVERPOOOOL! So instead I go to a FF form and ask, What team should I be supporting? Like I said I'm basically going all in blind. It's the worlds most popular sport so I believe us Canadians must just be missing something. Though the rest of the world is missing out on Hockey. TELL ME WHO TO CHEER FOR!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I've supported Liverpool for 23 years. Don't do it to yourself. It really hurts.

Stoke City are a classy up and coming outfit, boasting the most amount of Champions League winners in the Premier League now. They play a sublime form of tiki-taka, and their manager, Mark Hughes, is the embodiment of a Welsh dragon, roaring and breathing fire. Pundits and experts predict they will win many trophies over the next three years - the Capital One Cup is surely in their grasp. I'm sure the rest of my fellow football fans will agree that the only way to go is Stoke.

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you enjoy imploring your club to break the lock off of their wallets and actually spend some money, Arsenal might be a good shout.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    If you enjoy imploring your club to break the lock off of their wallets and actually spend some money, Arsenal might be a good shout.
    That is not true sir, I am sorry but I will not accept you peddling your falsehoods. In order, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have all spent more money than Arsenal over the past five seasons. Indeed, the Manchester sides have trebled it.

Arsenal are a bad team to support because their fans are synonymous with fascism and hatred. We've had to chase away many Arsenal fans from Eyes on Final Fantasy over the years because of their hate speech.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    That is not true sir, I am sorry but I will not accept you peddling your falsehoods. In order, Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool have all spent more money than Arsenal over the past five seasons. Indeed, the Manchester sides have trebled it.
    Isn't that exactly what I said in the first place?

:monster:

Your roommate is a Liverpool fan? I'd say support a rival like Everton or Man Utd.
    I always find games more enjoyable when watching with a rival fan. I watch most games with my friend who supports Arsenal, which is great, and makes the fixtures between them two all the more enjoyable. We even have the coveted "Heskey Cup" to fight over (a trophy we had made which goes to the victor of the last Utd V Arsenal game), it shall be mine again!

If not a rival then I'd say support the mighty Carlisle United. The Promised Land of League 1 will once again be ours by the end of this season.

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

supporting manchester united is a terrible idea, announcing yourself as a fan of manchester united to football fans is basically universal code language for "I'm unclean and everything I say should be immediately disregarded as rubbish".

Personally if you're going to get into Football in later life, I would eschew going for one of the "big" clubs in the premier league and look lower down the table. You definitely want to follow a prem team as they are more likely to get coverage than other leagues, but the powerful teams lack the real emotional roller coaster that is football. The constant writhing agony and misery as your team loses games they should win and misses out on players you want to brighter teams makes the scant moments of sweet underdog victory even more potent. Personally I suggest you follow West Ham, team with a long and solid history that have been unspectacular in recent years but have undergone upheaval this season and look to be on the up and up. Pair that with the fact that they are lead by the man many predict to be the leading light and saviour of the game for years to come, 'Big' Andy Carroll, who is a fragile yet supremely talented player that lights up the entire stadium any time the ball reaches his dainty feet, and I think you'll have found a recipe for the perfect Football experience.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Indeed, the Manchester sides have trebled it.
    That is mainly City though, young man. United's net spend is actually pretty good.

I would say go with a team/city from England you have some affiliation with. My baseball and handegg teams are the Yankees and the Giants. I never had a basketball team though until I went to Orlando as a kid and went to watch Orlando Magic.

I would never recommend Liverpool to anyone usually as they are the scum of the Earth. However, it might be good to go with them in order to bond more with your housemate.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You should support Chelsea while the bandwagon is cooling off. That way when anyone asks in later years you can say, with a smug expression, "no, no, I started supporting them during those few games when they were hanging out at the bottom of the ladder."

Blog Entries

>AD 2015
    >Supporting Liverpool

It was a slow day at work and an even slower evening, so took the time to knock up a handy Premier League team selector workflow. Come back crying to me in a few years.

flowchart.png

there was a picture here

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    >AD 2015
    >Supporting Liverpool

It was a slow day at work and an even slower evening, so took the time to knock up a handy Premier League team selector workflow. Come back crying to me in a few years.

flowchart.png

Arsenal it is!

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    TELL ME WHO TO CHEER FOR!
    Skip soccer, start watching Baseball, and cheer for the Blue Jays.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wrexham 4 lief.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    TELL ME WHO TO CHEER FOR!
    Skip soccer, start watching Baseball, and cheer for the Blue Jays.
    Alternatively, cheer for the Mariners so you can cry yourself to sleep every night. It's fun!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

In MLB I've been a Kansas City Fan since the Expo's left Montreal.