Thread: Going on a "zero carb", low sugar intake diet

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Going on a "zero carb", low sugar intake diet

So, I was pretty lax over the summer with my workouts. As a direct result, I gained some fat from practising my arm curls with a weight of less than 1kg (a drink of course!) I'm now seeking to lose in the most punishing way possible... As such I'm tackling it with an aggressive cutting and toning weights regime at the gym (Avoiding HIIT cardio as my ankle does not agree with it at all!). Accompanying this is a zero carb (or as close to as can be managed), low sugar diet. The idea is to simply break my blood sugar to a low enough level that my body will have no other choice but to burn fat to feed the muscles after the gym.

The problem is this is tough! I'm about 4 days in and god damn, I want so much fruit, you don't even know. I miss my carbs and god damn if I don't eat something other than meat soon I'll go mad.

I know that "zero carb" diets similar to the Atkins diet (which is probably the best analogy for my current meal plan if you don't want to fall asleep with boredom) are not healthy long term. They lead to raised cholesterol levels and well heart disease does not sound fun! I'm being pretty careful with this. I intend to do it intensively for about 12 - 16 weeks no more (Christmas may involve a cheat week so I can enjoy it) and I was careful to pick up on the bodies need for supplements providing me with the additional vitamins I will not be getting through food. Considering the other "easy" way to achieve the goals of this diet is to fast entirely, I'm taking the route that sees my body able to function after I am done doing weights.

So how could the denizens of EoFF help me? Well you could suggest to me meals that consist largely of protein or dairy fats with broad leaved, dark vegetables (essentially stuff like kale or spinach which is very low in natural sugars as even those would allow my blood sugar levels to spike) remember, pasta, rice, potato, sweet potato, lentils (purely because eww) are all off the board for the time being. I can't include them in my diet.

Typically at present the following is my daily intake:

Breakfast - fat burner compound protein shake, the one I found has approx 9.3g of carbohydrate per portion. I have one portion in the morning, this is my sole intake of carbs all day (barring the ones that cannot be avoided except by fasting). I considered the old atkins favourite, coffee with butter in but frankly found the idea utterly repugnant.
    Lunch - Approximately 300g of chicken breast, or a can of tuna/pack of smoked salmon
    Dinner - maybe a 2 egg omelette with some wilted spinach in there.

Snacks have been taken care of in the form of cheese or beef jerky where possible, though I'm essentially trying not to have them.

As you can tell, I'd be pretty welcoming of some suggestions for food that complies with this insane diet. A lot of salad veg (peppers & tomatoes for example) have to be ruled out or eaten in very tiny portions (like 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes sized portion) because they're so sweet and full of natural sugars and fruit is pretty much right out there with fizzy drinks and chocolate/sweets in the no territory.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Both zero carb and no sugar, huh. Sound serious.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Sounds like Keto. LCHF. The high fat should curb your hunger. Avocados are your best friend. I haven't been strict keto but have been on the low carb low sugar. I've lost 20lbs on it so it worked for myself personally. Recently been eating a bit more carby so I've plateaued a bit, but regardless it does work when I stay on top of it.

My favorite low carb recipes are anything with squash. Spaghetti Squash makes a great noddle replacement for most meals. Plus it's delicious. I like Spaghetti Squash Carbonara personally. Also, lasagna but with zucchini as the "noodles" is also amazing. Honestly pinterest is a great tool for recipe searching for this stuff.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I don't do low carb but I DO do low-wheat and low-sugar for health reasons. This includes limits on "good" sugars like the ones found in fruit. It's actually not that bad, I make a lot of pizzas (wheat free crust), slow-cooker chicken or pork meals, rice, sausages, oatmeal, fish, and so on. For snacks I mostly do nuts or jerky. Or seaweed! I have a sweet tooth so I allow myself a small amount of sweets each day, but I definitely have a limit I can't go over or my colon will kill me.

One time someone suggested I make a burger but replace the buns with lettuce and kind of turn it into a wrap. It sounded silly at first but it was actually really good. Burger + cheese and wrap the entire thing up with lettuce. It was great.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

OH yeah a zoodler works too, I just like zucchini okay....

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    One time someone suggested I make a burger but replace the buns with lettuce and kind of turn it into a wrap. It sounded silly at first but it was actually really good. Burger + cheese and wrap the entire thing up with lettuce. It was great.
    oh man yeah, that is delicious. It can get messy if you add other things in that may leak on you like sauces, but for the most part it works great.
    Last edited by Freya; 10-22-2015 at 04:20 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel like zero carb would be next to impossible as a sustained diet.

I am however I firm believer in the efficacy of a low carb, keto diet. I lost a ton of weight while eating low carb, and I ate really well too. So yeah, I'm all about keto. Trying to get back onto the keto wagon right now actually. It's just difficult because it does require advanced meal planning and being really thoughtful about your food. Which is fine when you have time on your hands. But if you're strapped for time it gets much harder. Conveniently available foods tend to almost entirely be made up of carbs. Very few places will deliver a steak to you, but you can get pizza all day every day. :/

Anyway. My favorite low carb recipe site is: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/