Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brazilians and Argentines: are they considered Latinos?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Belize is a country in Central America that was not colonized by Spain, and Guyana, Suriname, and French Guiana are three countries in South America that were also not colonized by Spain, and in the Caribbean, only three countries, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic, were colonized by Spain; the rest were colonized by other European countries. But Spain conquered the vast majority of Latin America, so I think it should be called Spanish America or Iberian America instead, if you want to include Brazil, which was colonized by Portugal, because Spain and Portugal together are referred to as the Iberian Peninsula.

As for Brazil and Argentina, Brazil is multiracial, but Argentina is predominately white.
    The majority of the Americas as a whole were colonised by Europeans, that doesn't mean you should call the entire two continents "European America".

"Latin" relates to a culture and language. "Iberian" relates to a physical region. If someone were to say something is "Latin" I would understand they mean that it is related to the Latin cultures. If someone were to say something is "Iberian" I would assume it comes from the Iberian peninsula.

The phrase 'Latin America' was coined by a French person, if I recall correctly. If you want to start saying "Iberian America" you can give it a shot, but I highly doubt it will catch on.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is awesome cause Im brazilian-american and I gotta tell ya, pure brazilians here dont even know what they should be considered.

Because Brazilians are of South American origin, but do not have a Spanish-derived culture, as they were conquered by Portugal, and not Spain.
    Is that your final answer?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Latino and Hispanic are describing two different traits. Idiot and alive are two different traits, but not all living people are idiots and not all idiots are alive; however, there is significant overlap.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Latino and Hispanic are describing two different traits. Idiot and alive are two different traits, but not all living people are idiots and not all idiots are alive; however, there is significant overlap.
    I'd bet many people don't know the difference though and use them interchangeably.