Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabata Reveals some more info about Luna freya, the plot, camping, and DLC for FFXV.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's no avoiding it, though, and it will keep changing. Such a model is not without its merits, and we've really moved past the time when it was acceptable to get an unfinished game that would be finished with paid DLC. I like to think of it more as mini expansion packs that enhance an already complete experience, which seems to be exactly what Tabata is going for.

And I mean, c'mon, the best stuff is gonna be free anyway! What difference does it make if it's on the disc on launch or not?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I find it inheritely strange, if not offensive, that developers are already talking of selling us more DLC before the game's even released. That just makes me think: "Well gee, why couldn't that be in the game on launch then?". That just sounds like double-dipping to me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Because people have been crying for this game to come out for ages. I think Tabata is doing the best thing he can in this situation - he wants the game out fast to appease the fans while promising that anything that won't make it in time will make it into the game soon after. I really don't see anything wrong with this course of action.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I can understand it given how long this game has been in development hell, nor do I deny that SE is fully to blame for this by announcing Versus XIII as early as they did with nothing to show for it. However, that doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer it if they just kept working on the game until it is actually fully finished, polished and ready to be released, rather than rushing it out the door and filling in the gaps later because fans are demanding it. We'll have waited for ten years by the time this game gets released, what's one more compared to that? Rather that than having to pay extra for content that used to be for free and included on launch, personally. Sure, they'll add the airship DLC for free. But what about the rest? They'll need a massive game packed to the brim with content at launch for DLC to not feel as if they carved up the game in pieces just so they could get us to pay more for it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think of it like expansion packs. Before, you'd have all that extra content sold to you at full price with just some extra addons that shouldn't have been full price.

Now instead of bundling it all together and selling you one large amount, they break it up and you can pick and choose which ones you want to pay for. I used to buy xpacs all the time for just a few extra content. Now I can just buy specifically the extra goodies I want.

DLC content doesn't bother me.

At all.

I'm getting more content for a game and I don't HAVE to pay for it if I don't want to.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I genuinely have no problem with what I consider to be superfluous stuff not being part of the main game. Costumes? Don't care. In old games we didn't get the option, so it's no dramatic change there. Bonus fights? Eh, I'm sure there will be more than enough fights in the game to fully entertain me. Bonus fights are something I don't care about either.

I care about the main game and not much else. I pretend DLC doesn't exist for the most part. If the game is still good, I don't care that it doesn't have some random fight with [bonus fight boss].
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Some of you sound surprised about this. The industry has been using this model since the last console generation. I agree with BoB on this one. If the main game I buy is good, then I don't mind the DLC for extra items or expansions of the main game. People who want the extra stuff will buy it and people who don't won't.

It does bother me when there is 'Day 1' DLC for story elements or if you have to pay to see the 'expanded ending' DLC or other such BS which clearly would have been included in the main game in prior models. But the negative reaction to that model has made it more rare. The Airship DLC in this case was intended to be in the main game but rather than hold up the release for something they aren't even sure how to do yet, they are releasing it as is and the airship stuff will come later for free. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm sure there will be a plethora of paid DLC for costumes, weapons, special fights, and maybe even a few expansion areas or quests and I'm fine with all of that as long as the stand alone product feels complete and entertains me.

I'm not yet sure I agree with Tabata on best game design and mechanics (in fact I'm starting to believe that I don't) but everything the guy has done since taking over this project has indicated that he cares about producing a complete product that matches his vision and that he cares more about the fan reception of it than how much money his company will make out of it. So I don't think we need to worry about entire areas off limits until you pay for it (FFXIII-2), party members you need to buy (Mass Effect), or other such shenanigans with this game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    party members you need to buy (Mass Effect), or other such shenanigans with this game.
    Kasumi is worth buying to be honest.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Um, dude. Advent Children was filled with product placements, the cell phones everyone used in the movie are a specific Motorola phone and Cloud's shades were a real brand of glasses as well. Hell Noctis and Co. clothing are a real line of clothing in Japan designed by a real world designer. It's been kind of going on for awhile.
    Um, dude. Advent Children is a movie not a game, last I checked. Also, it's one thing for things to be designed after a game, not the other way around.

And yeah I was already well aware of all that. It just seems stupid to have real world brands in a fictional fantasy world. It makes me wonder if there isn't some truth to those rumors that (SPOILER)FFXV shares it's world with the world we see Lightning appear in during the very ending FMV of Lightning Returns.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The party is not a boy band, so don't expect them to perform a J-Pop performance like Yuna.
    Lol. It's funny that they actually addressed this.

Weird how people criminalize story DLC, but turn a blind eye towards monetizing skins.

Why is paying for skins okay, but you expect story DLC to be free? This level of logic is incomprehensibly naive. I am MORE than happy to buy more story DLC for a game that I cannot get enough of the story of. Example: Loving Witcher 3. Only just started it, and I know I'm in for a long run. But I already know I will buy the new upcoming expansion because I want even more story. That's just who I am.

Meanwhile... skins? Couldn't care less. I don't mind customization in RPGs, but I tend to run with default looks for my first playthrough, because to me, that's how they're DESIGNED to look. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    The party is not a boy band, so don't expect them to perform a J-Pop performance like Yuna.
    Lol. It's funny that they actually addressed this.
    It's funny because people actually legitimately consider FFXV as a masculine version of X-2.

(No, it's not funny, but you know what I mean.)

Reminds me of those weird and silly Japanese people that originally thought (at launch) Lightning Returns was a dating simulator game, and thought they just dressed her up and made her look pretty, because the promotion focused very aggressively on the amount of schemata at her disposal. And then when they were upset that it wasn't what they thought, they returned their copies.

It just goes to show you, people's lopsided perceptions of games make and break a game's success. I personally chalk it up to the general public being gullible, and borderline idiotic, but there it is.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Weird how people criminalize story DLC, but turn a blind eye towards monetizing skins.
    Skins are an entirely optional extra, that will not impact the experience of the game if you don't have it. However if you have to buy a chunk of story? You have to spend money (on an already $60 game) to get the full intended experience. That is the problem - especially if the dev has carved out a piece of the game just so they can get another quick buck from the consumer.

I suppose I should clarify that most people do not object to "expansion packs" when they're criticising story DLC. In fact if the DLC is expansive enough, nobody really gives a damn and are happy to throw money at it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm here to fulfill Wolf Kanno's prophecy:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You can't fight while riding a chocobo, in fact it's possible for Chocobos to just abandon you and run away when monsters are spotted. There are different types of veggies in the game you can feed them which will increase their intelligence and morale to help avoid this. Black Chocobos are still being worked on but are apparently very special as you have to catch them in the wild.
    I was wondering about this. I'm glad to hear that they're in the game.